Equilib

The testimonial is a real scream. What a load of crap. "My face was turning orange and my hair falling out from the meds".

Equilib is nothing more than a multivitamin with trace minerals and a few extra things like citrus peel, gingko, and grapseed extract. They even say that it a 'nutritional supplement". Save your hard earned money. Go to the grocery store and buy a good multivitamin with minerals and some fish oil, which have some legitimate medical studies supporting use for bipolar disorder.

http://www.equilib.us/pages/@id=10.aspx

Here is Dr. Phelps page on vitamins and Omega3:

http://www.psycheducation.org/depression/frameset.html

Keep working to get better, but don't get suckered into wasting your hard earned dollars.

a.m.

• 6 years later...

I tried a supplement called True Hope and it was a total waste of money. I first read the book "A Promise of Hope" by Autumn Stringam, who described how this supplement cured her bipolar disorder and her family manufactured the product. I was desperate so it was worth a try. That was years ago and it was a total bummer, to say the least!

Now, I'm at a totally different point in my life. I am doing very well. I am happy and joyful after many years of being the total opposite. I am stable with bipolar one disorder, I walk four miles almost every day, eat well, and have a wonderful support network of family, friends, therapist and psychiatrist. I am at a low dose of lithium and it's the only medication I take - this after being on cocktails of 4 or 5 drugs and ECT.....I feel very lucky to only take one drug right now.

I am curious about Equilib and while I believe in the power of fish oils, I'd like to augment my lifestyle with a supplement that could help me remain this positive way I am experiencing as much as possible.

Hardships will come no matter what - i know that. But I am investigating Equilib by talking at length with their manufacturer's Research & Implementation director at EvinceNaturals. They apparently have something called a "Response Warranty Program" in which you devote 10 weeks to trying the product and you work closely with this director and your medical professionals. If it does not help your symptoms, you get a full refund except for a nominal shipping and handling fee.

If you are on the fence about a supplement, as long as it's okayed by your psychiatrist and GP and you can invest some (*some*) money into your mental health, I think it could be worth a try. I'm going to do some more research, but I certainly am not basing my decision on any one testimonial.

So, in their "clinical trials" you are given the product to try. Then they have their own "scientist," whom you know zero about, check you out. Do you think that the "scientist" is an unbiased researcher? Not. It's a scam. Those supplements are expensive, and are not going to help.

Please don't waste your money. How about some fish oil and a B spectrum vitamin? Those at least are suggested to have some kind of impact in clinical trials.

"We've seen impressive results with customers who suffer from ADD/ADHD, anxiety, autism spectrum, bipolar, depression, severe PMS, asthma, fibromyalgia and endometriosis. We have easy to use symptom charts for clients who wish to track daily symptom responses. As always, double check with your health care provider and/or pharmacist if pregnant or nursing (most have not expressed concern to date)."

REALLY? ADHD, anxiety, autism, bipolar, MDD, PMDD, fibro and endometriosis. Doesn't that strike you as at all scatter shot?

Plus "(most have note expressed concern to this date)" is not the most comforting qualifier. Of the people who reported back (tiny), what percentage of clients do you think actually discussed it with their Dr, and reported back, "Yes, I spoke to my doctor, and it is A OK!"? I think their language is awfully carefully worded, which is a sign they are trying to avoid legal run ins.

Just because a supplement isn't a med doesn't mean it can' totally fuck up your meds. ALWAYS talk to your pdoc before starting a new supplement regimen. Many supplements interfere with the efficacy of meds.

And by the way, pubmed (the National Institute of Health) has zero articles about bipolar illness and equilib.

Archived