Am I the only person who thinks Lamictal is useless? 200 mg and I still get depressed as hell. Pdoc has raised the possibility that I am one of those people who metabolizes it to death, so I may need a blood test and a higher dose. (But if the Zoloft kicks in, we may never get around to it.)

If it worked for you at a high dose but not at 200 mg, please let me know.

Thanks,

SG

I don't know...

I was on Lamictal for half a year and was happy with it, then got manic and got switched to Lithium. Lithium had bad side effects so we tried Lamictal again. I hated it for months. I seemed to get more depressed with each dose increase. I even convinced my pdoc to take me off it and put me on Tegretol (made me depressed and psychotic).

BUT, I really think it's working now, at 400 mg. I don't know why, maybe I just needed a really long time to adjust to it.

I would say give it a shot at a higher dose.

i take 300 and i feel great. i had been taking estrogen-based birth control, so i was at 400, which basically equalled a bit over 200. this wasn't working. now i'm on non-estrogen birth control (mini pills) and since i don't need to double the lamictal anymore, i just take straight 300. never felt better.

when i had to go off of my lamictal last year because my free clinic ran out of it, i stopped taking my b/c pills to conserve lamictal for as long as i could. i ended up getting manic, getting pregnant, and having an abortion because i was manic and pregnant- not a good combo.

my advice is to stay on lamictal if you're on lamictal! that incident proved that it keeps in my mania and i know it holds back depression too. overall, it works wonders.

• 1 month later...

i love lamictal for restoring my sanity. i take 300mg/day.

HOWEVER, i HATE how it tastes. sometimes the pills don't go down my throat right, like just now, and they dissolve a little in my mouth. the stuff tastes putrid! they need some chefs in there to make sure the stuff is edible before selling it. geesh- what if i was someone with a real difficulty swallowing pills? ewwww!

and sometimes lamictal pills are hard to swallow, even for me.

Archived