Did anyone watch Oprah today?

She had a man in prison who went into a psychotic depression and stabbed his kids to death. He was on medication for MDD. He had been thinking about killing his family or himself for years and never told his pdoc or tdoc his deepest dark thoughts. I also keep my dark thoughts to myself. Does anyone else? Sometimes it's hard to vocalize the really bad things that run through my head even when on the meds.

Yeah, I watched, and I especially liked the doc at the end who talked about what happens in your brain with depression, and the things family/friends can do. I loved that he said "Don't always rely of medication to fix everything." He gave some very solid suggestions and explained pretty well the "Horrible darkness" that is severe depression.

I don't thik Oprah really "got it" until the end, after the doc spoke. She kept saying that the father made choices--which of course he did, but they were not rational choices.

But, to her credit, she seemed to understand what was happening after the MD spoke--

china

I wanted to hear a lot more from the doc about the brain malfunction. But I did really like what he said about what family members/loved ones can do. Don't let the person isolate. Hell, I isolate every day. I wish somebody would come check on me and stuff, like he suggested.

When I am 'isolated' my husband always asks "what's wrong" and I just tell him " I am thinking bad thoughts, I'll just take a klonopin and i'll be fine" What he doesn't know is that it really doesn't help much once the tape starts rolling.

I loved what the doc said. I think it will help more people understand the seriousness of this disease.

And the congregation said --AMEN!!! No one ever checks on me, except DH, and thats about twice in 24 hours

china

honey, that's a LOT!

my phone never rings unless it's a bill collector, and I live alone. Thank GOD for my dog!! come to think of it, my dog checks on me a lot! he really does! he has savwd my life plenty of times!

IMG_9174.jpg

OK, show just finished here.

Yeah, I watched, and I especially liked the doc at the end who talked about what happens in your brain with depression, and the things family/friends can do. I loved that he said "Don't always rely of medication to fix everything." He gave some very solid suggestions and explained pretty well the "Horrible darkness" that is severe depression.

I don't thik Oprah really "got it" until the end, after the doc spoke. She kept saying that the father made choices--which of course he did, but they were not rational choices.

But, to her credit, she seemed to understand what was happening after the MD spoke--

china

I totally agree with China's 'review'. It was really hard to watch her keep badgering him over and over about choices and 'reality'.

i have to agree with china i think oprah was clueless until the doc really got down into his conversation .... i think she made her self look p[retty bad just hammerin away at the story like said before he made choices .. what she should remember we can line up people in the thousands that at moments when were manic couldnt make a rational choice if our lives depended on it

my phone never rings unless it's a bill collector, and I live alone. Thank GOD for my dog!! come to think of it, my dog checks on me a lot! he really does! he has savwd my life plenty of times!

IMG_9174.jpg

oh my

a standard poodle, right? that's what they call the big 'uns

as a teen I groomed at a poodle place, absolutely loved this snauzer and of course the few huge poodles that showed

Libby!

I was just reading your carpet was shampooed w/enzymes

I really need to know if we can buy that stuff and do it ourself, do you know?

have kitten that very rarely will pee in her litter box <grrr>

and no I never get to see Oprah anymore been years she reminds me of my mom's family so much

not to get off of the original topic,

but i buy enzymes at petsmart. i don't know if there's a difference, or if they're the same strength or not, but the enzymes i buy seem to work fine. you just sometimes need more than one application to solve the problem. i mop with an enzyme solution when my cats have decided that the floor is a litter box, and it cleans it up (tile floors). i don't have carpet so i don't have that joy.

In Canada, that man would be in an institution, not prison. I agree that Oprah was badgering him.

I have a friend, who had a psychotic break, stabbed his roommate in the face several times (he lived), hopped in his grandfather's van, wound up in a police chase ending with a head on collision into a tree. Somehow that didn't kill him so he slit his throat before the cops got him. He survived that as well as two other attempts while in custody.

He has been in an institution for about a year now and doing really well. He gets out next year. Time served.

The man on the show was keeping all of his dark thoughts to himself. I also don't tell anyone when I'm feeling suicidal (common thought) or even homicidal (rare thought), including my pdoc and husband. Does anyone else have dark thoughts that they keep to themselves?

The man on the show was keeping all of his dark thoughts to himself. I also don't tell anyone when I'm feeling suicidal (common thought) or even homicidal (rare thought), including my pdoc and husband. Does anyone else have dark thoughts that they keep to themselves?

My friend didn't tell a soul he was hearing voices that were telling him his roommate was a child molester or that he was suicidal. It was a complete shock to us all. What happened was not his fault. The secrecy IMO was part of the psychosis. Now that he is medicated he feels terrible about what happened and is back to his old self. I am so happy he will be out fairly soon and can't imagine him having to spend his life in prison.

Archived