This happened to me a few weeks ago. I am not joking here, nor am I making this up. I can show you the relevant tire marks if you wish.

My car was involved in a parking lot hit-and-run accident in July, and I had found my insurance company's preferred body shop in the directory.

(Note: irony/coincidenciality ahead, depending on how you view it.)

I went driving down Washington Road (a notorious thoroughfare for y'all who've been down here) through Evans, going about 50 MPH (the speed limit was 45). In Evans, it's a 4 lane road without a traffic divider.

I was looking side to side for the dealership/bodyshop sign and was frustrated I couldn't find it. Kept on going and going.

I looked ahead (now note that I was still going 50 MPH!) and saw a Toyota Camry stopped less than 200 feet in front of me, attempting to turn left. Conventionally, this is known as an "OH SHIT!!!" moment.

I jerked the steering wheel to the right, and veered into the right lane suddenly. My car suddenly stabilized and continued forward (it has traction control; although its traction control once landed me in someone's yard when I drove the car on ice as if it did not have traction control, but yeah...).

The car beside me was a pickup truck, and was a good 500 feet back. He didn't even have to brake when I swerved in front of him.

I waved to the elderly couple sitting in the Camry, now behind me (I hope I didn't give one or both of them a heart attack and/or stroke!).

Continued on my way. I pulled over at the next shopping center and parked myself. Hunched myself over the steering wheel. Breathe, breathe, breathe... then tears.

I had an open-heart surgery in 1984 (when I was 9 months old) which I was not expected to survive. My EEG (that's a BRAIN wave monitor) flat-lined 3 times on my brain stem. And I came out okay. Well, BP2-Aspie-ADD-Narcolepsy-MS-GERD, but okay. :)

That was almost a moment of enlightenment for me. But who cares, let's all be humanitarianists, no? :cussing:

P.S. Car is in a body shop now (albeit a different one). Currently I'm in possession of a rental Chevrolet Impala courtesy State Farm Insurance. The thing is a freaking boat. Slow and wallowy... no wonder southerners drive the way they do... their cars aren't capable of driving properly! This is not a fun driving experience. Well, hope God doesn't have to save my arse again because of this thing. ;)

Anyways yeah.

I'm glad it all turned out ok! Very thought provoking. I don't believe in coincidences myself. I'm not sure if you believe in guardian angels, I do, but I hope yours is getting some kind of hazard pay lol

[EDIT #1: When I said "coincidence/irony", I did mean that the incident occurred while I was trying to find a certain body shop to get my car repaired at. Now, whether you believe in this fact as pure coincidence, is obviously up to you.]

My department secretary made a mention of a guardian angel when she heard of my story (and the story of when I got pulled over in SC and nearly flipped my car into a ditch).

Some people say I have bad luck, for all the trouble I get into.

I just say I have "weird luck", since my ass does indeed get saved in the end. :cussing:

(Though, I am seriously considering getting rid of that car once the 8th gen [2008] Accord coupe comes out, even though my current car is only 2 years old, has only 35k miles on it, and I otherwise adore everything about it. Now to convince my dad to once again put the down payment. ;) )

[EDIT #2: On second thought, scratch that. Maybe this car is part of my "guardian angel" and weird luck. I haven't been hurt in it (yet). *knock on metal* :) ]

i also had a highway incident that nearly killed me.

i was driving from cleveland, where i live, to my college in the middle of the winter, with very bad ice on the highway. this was about 7 years ago and i was driving a 1989 honda accord. in the left lane, i hit an ice patch, and my car spiraled out of control. i couldn't stop the spinning because of the ice my first instant thought flash was terror- i'd hit other cars- then peace- peace with myself and my life, and whatever higher power there may be (that i believe in- i'm wiccan).

my car came to a stop alright, not because i stopped it, but because the embankment stopped it. i hit the embankment, straight on wtih my front bumper. i had lost enough momentum by this time that i only hit at about maybe 10-15mph, and i was so fortunate that my bumper took it all, and didn't even fold up the car at all! there wasn't a THING visibly wrong with my car. i even got out of the car, in the left lane of the highway, to inspect it. there wasn't a thing wrong with it or me.

i got back in my car, drove to school, and cried hysterically. then i called my dad (a mechanic) and told him. he just cautioned that there could be structural damage and to keep that in mind.

i've never been so lucky in my life. but in those split seconds, with my car whirling around, i made my peace. i'm not afraid to die anymore.

UGH.

MAJOR MIGRAINE MOMENT AHEAD.

For some enlightening (?) reason, I decided to take the meaning of my name apart. My name is entirely Sanskrit, an ancient Indo-European Language.

My first name indicates one who has achieved bliss (partial enlightenment as per Buddhist tradition).

My last name, which by south Indian tradition is my father's given name, refers to the coming of God to Earth as a sheltered, innocent "man-child".

What's ironic is that my first name means bliss, and that I suffered MDD for many years before converting to bliss (aka hypomania; perhaps too much bliss).

Just. Yeah.

OUCH

I'm going to go sip on some tea. Nice warm tea, calm the blood vessels down.

Enlightenment hurts like Hell.

There's probably a fine line between there and psychosis; I assume psychosis is where it begins to interfere in one's on life and the lives of others. For now I'll just be a humanitarianist, hey, that's never been a bad idea...

Soon I'll have to go find myself a cold compress...

I'm not sure if you are being serious or not! Maybe you need a new color for your coding, looks like purple is still free ; )

I took a 'reality nap', woke up, read what I wrote, and do believe that neither my name nor the accepted translation of Sanskrit have changed.

So I'm going to go pop a couple more ibuprofen and head back to sleep before the migraine comes back.

night y'all

(P.S. can I use 'umami' for my new color? that'd be sweet, but I don't think IPB supports it. ;) )

[QUICK EDIT: Sorry for the bad pun involving 'sweet'. -H.F.]

Update:

It's 8:30 AM and still, neither my name nor its Sanskrit meaning have changed.

I think my 5HT1A receptors have habituated enough by now to temper down the migraines I get by thinking about this.

At least my name only indicates partial enlightenment, (i.e. nirvana as per most schools of Buddhism): Full enlightenment is by default considered a very melancholic state and that only achieved by the Godself and Godself's incarnate (Buddha, Jesus Christ, etc. as per various religious traditions.)

In addition, full enlightenment would probably have resulted in spontaneous combustion of Fous, so I wouldn't be in the "physical realm" to be typing this out to y'all at this point in time.

Well, at least I'm on Lamictal (a good migraine prophylaxis)...

Now, now, you don't have to be THAT way about it. I wasn't questioning the validity of your interpretation (or that you know your own name), I wasn't sure you were being serious about your *reaction* to it, if that makes any sense. That's why I asked, not to rile you. Sorry.

Now, now, you don't have to be THAT way about it. I wasn't questioning the validity of your interpretation (or that you know your own name), I wasn't sure you were being serious about your *reaction* to it, if that makes any sense. That's why I asked, not to rile you. Sorry.

We PMed about this earlier so you already know, faith, but I just wanted to publicly clear up the fact that I was in a fairly literal mood at that time and wasn't directing comments towards anybody. I often tend to come off as angry when I'm not in the least bit.

I often tend to come off as angry when I'm not in the least bit.

Don't we all! It's the reason Jesus taught us to turn the other cheek as the action of choice. Force only when there is no other option. Unfortunately our brilliant leaders do it the other way, choosing violence and when that seems to go on forever without resolution, they turn their bum cheek :embarassed: and run with their tail between there legs! ;)

PS Herrfous, I think you may have it right with your signature "If somebody slaps you on one cheek, then turn the other. If he slaps you again, then beat the shit out of him." --Fous'

I often tend to come off as angry when I'm not in the least bit.

Don't we all! It's the reason Jesus taught us to turn the other cheek as the action of choice. Force only when there is no other option. Unfortunately our brilliant leaders do it the other way, choosing violence and when that seems to go on forever without resolution, they turn their bum cheek :embarassed: and run with their tail between there legs! ;)

PS Herrfous, I think you may have it right with your signature "If somebody slaps you on one cheek, then turn the other. If he slaps you again, then beat the shit out of him." --Fous'

Personally, although I do view violence sanctioned by politicians (I assume you mean acts of war) to be often a result of cowardice, I often more thought that it was just careless (though occasionally malevolent) selfishness in doing what at the time seems politically popular. Or, in some cases, what the leader thinks will make them politically popular. The latter may not work out and result in neither the leader nor the people benefitting.

But anyways...

As far as the Congolese concept of Ilunu is concerned, I feel it's a form of moral utilitarianism. Sometimes, it seems to me that it is useless to take the moral "high road" and ignore those who strike you. I find it necessary sometimes to sink to the level of the offender, speak to them in their language if you will, and that this often does resolve conflict. If anything, it prevents me from getting slapped again.

Of course, this also gets my ass into trouble sometimes... and by ass, I obviously don't mean donkey. =D (Sorry, I find the KJV to be very amusing at points, even if it's just due to the fact that the context of English words has changed so much in the past 400 years!)

Though I'm not entirely sure Jesus or Buddha would agree with Ilunu, and I don't know if we'll ever know, since it's safe to say that their physical writings, being documents of the past, are but left up to our interpretation...

Yes I was refering to the Iraq war! How many have paid the price for a war that so far has accomplished little if anything positive. We all knew that Saddam did not have weapons of mass destruction because if he did he would have used them. We also knew that it would probably turn out to be another Vietnam and I don't think the pollies were that dumb that they did not know. They did not want to know ;)

When I was having a new house being built my neighbour kept dumping his garbage over the fence. I tried to ignore it hoping he would stop, but I just kept getting more and more angry until one day I almost had a nervous breakdown, so then I started dumping it back until eventually I lost it and faced off with him throwing all his cigarette butts back over his side. After that it stopped and fortunately he sold out and moved on after which we got a lovely retired couple who are still our friends even though we have since moved. Also if some drug crazed person wants to stab you do you turn the other cheek? I don't think so. During the world wars, from the stories we hear I think God was on our side and helping us. (Allies) Turning the other cheek is definitely for specific situations.

Yes I was refering to the Iraq war! How many have paid the price for a war that so far has accomplished little if anything positive. We all knew that Saddam did not have weapons of mass destruction because if he did he would have used them. We also knew that it would probably turn out to be another Vietnam and I don't think the pollies were that dumb that they did not know. They did not want to know ;)

I know I'm arguing silly facts here, but it's pretty well known that Saddam did in fact, at least at some points in time, have WMD. Now, it's safe to assume that they were for "internal use only", namely against the local Kurds. And the US knew very well that he had WMD; we gave many of them to him in the 80s. =D Again, though, I don't think the WMD posed us any threat and that the idea of their presence was extremely poor grounds for invasion.

Also if some drug crazed person wants to stab you do you turn the other cheek?

You brought up something else interesting there. Not only should one beat the shit out of him (at least for purposes of incapacitation); at this point, he should be reported to rehab (and other corrective measures, so hopefully he is reformed).

That's sort of a severe analogy of how I've dealt with my parents (especially my mother, who was stuck raising me since my father was too busy working to feed us). She had me when she was 19 (and Dad 29), and it was blatantly obvious that she was nowhere near mature enough to singlehandedly raise a child. To put it in perspective, I'm now 23, and I was 4 when she was 23. This scares me, since if I weren't on good antidepressant and mood stabilizing meds, I'd be batshit-guano-raging 24/7... sort of like she was.

I used to consider her (and Dad, to an extent) evil for not caring about me. That wasn't true; they were both well-intentioned... but to be very honest... rather stupid. I have informed Mom of this fact, that I have forgiven her for what went on in my childhood, but that she was very stupid to not have sought help in raising me, and furthermore, personal psychological help. Again, Ilunu.

Also, I do think part of my purpose in life (returning to the topic at hand, hehe) was to help her, I've been goading her into psych treatment forever, and she has finally said she will try an SSRI for at least a full 8 weeks and is also going to see a tdoc, with my dad in tow for support.

We'll see how this all goes.

Though I know this is a little off topic now, I think it is wonderful that you are able to help your mother to some extent and that you understand now the context of your upbringing. That is something I still struggle with.

Though I know this is a little off topic now, I think it is wonderful that you are able to help your mother to some extent and that you understand now the context of your upbringing. That is something I still struggle with.

I suppose it helps, but it doesn't reverse much of the damage that's been done. I still have "borderline personality"-type thinking, mainly the defense mechanism of splitting. One minute I'd be up on an altar with my parents, the next second I'd be pushed around and told I was worthless because I didn't live up to their ideals. I think it's an Asian-American thing. And they're first class morons, and that definitely doesn't help. In any event, it's part of the reason I often cannot see the good and bad in a person simultaneously.

I think helping my mother out is a painful process though. I still often send her into tears, not just by letting her know the facts, but by also getting emotional and unnecessarily digging up painful memories and then subsequently flying off the handle with her. (She claims not to remember anything bad, BTW, and has this impression that my childhood was all flowers and sunshine, and that any bad memories I have of her were put into me by TDocs. Ironically, it was TDocs who persuaded me that my biology, and not my parents, was the root of the problem.)

I'm a lot nicer to Dad, mainly as he's the sane parent of the two... and of course he makes the ultimate decisions in paying for my healthcare costs... it doesn't help either that he now also has to support 25% of my living income since I had to cut to part time (75% committment) at work so I could enroll half-time at the local university to make up some math I need for grad school.

I hope my parents' investment (the financial one, at least) pays off in my achieving a purpose in life. The emotional investment was pretty counterproductive, though...

The human brain is similar to a computer. When we are born our brains are hard wired to perform basic operations, which are handed down through genetics etc. There is not a great deal we can do to change this apart from meds. As a doctor once said to me "A leopard can't change it's spots"

Our brains are also programmable most of which, so I have been told, occurs during the first 5 years. Bad programming is hard to change but not impossible. I learnt how to ride a bike. To lose this skill would be very difficult nigh impossible, however I can shelve it. A person with PTSD has experienced an event which has affected their fear/etc response programming, they also probably cannot delete this programming, but they can learn to shelve it where it will not be as traumatic. I guess what I am trying to say is that Herrfous is curable because s/he has recognised certain errors in upbringing and is attempting to work through them. However her mother is burying the bad memories as a defense mechanism. Maybe you both need to discuss this with a professional.

PS I'm not medically trained and this is probably bullshit. ;)

HLS--

'tis okay. You don't need to be medically trained to give out theories or advice. I'd be having a 2x4 in my eye if I were telling you otherwise!!

And for reference, I'm male (Herr = German for "Mr.")... but online it's often impossible to tell.

I do like your theory. Add to it, of course, that all of our computers are different. Especially my Aspie computer, which is has a dual-core CPU whose two cores are incapable of communicating with each other... but that's another story...

Archived