Wellbutrin SR vs XL

What's the difference between Wellbutrin SR and the XL version, anyone know? Is any of these versions preferred over the other one?

I've taken this med before for 2 months (but went off it because I couldn't afford it anymore). Back then (last year) I was initially on 150mg in morning, then went up to 300 mg (ie 150 mg in morning, and 150 mg in evening).

I asked the pdoc to stay on a low dose for the first month or more (150 mg of SR version in am). This is because I remember I got quite agitated/anxiety/couldn't sleep from the double dose.

My pdoc doesn't seem to be familiar with this medication, it's not normally prescribed in this country because it's not subsidised and so people have to pay full price for it. Therefore I thought I'd ask on here.

I want to stay on 150 mg for the time being (knowing what 300 mg did to me). Needing to know if in this case it would be better to take the 150 mg SR version or the 150 mg XL version.

I want to minimise side effects and minimise inability to sleep. IF I changed to XL, would it be best to take it in the morning or in the evening.

I want to stay on 150 mg for the time being (knowing what 300 mg did to me). Needing to know if in this case it would be better to take the 150 mg SR version or the 150 mg XL version.

I want to minimise side effects and minimise inability to sleep. IF I changed to XL, would it be best to take it in the morning or in the evening.

if you go with the SR you'll need to take 75mg twice a day. (usually morning and afternoon, though some people do evening. it's up to your doc. i did afternoon.)

if you go with the XL you'll just take 150 once a day, and yeah, VE is right, it's a morning med.

i didn't like some of the generic SR i was getting which is why i take the XL even though i have a higher copay. i may be full of it though, or it may have been just that one company's generic.

I don't think they make 75 mgs SR, just 100, 150 and 200

from rxlist:

WELLBUTRIN SR Tablets are supplied for oral administration as 100-mg (blue), 150 mg (purple), and 200-mg (light pink), film-coated, sustained-release tablets. Each tablet contains the labeled amount of bupropion hydrochloride and the inactive ingredients: carnauba wax, cysteine hydrochloride, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, polysorbate 80, and titanium dioxide and is printed with edible black ink. In addition, the 100-mg tablet contains FD&C Blue No. 1 Lake, the 150-mg tablet contains FD&C Blue No. 2 Lake and FD&C Red No. 40 Lake, and the 200-mg tablet contains FD&C Red No. 40 Lake.

You can take it once a day. It's preferable that way if insomnia is a problem.

if you go with the XL you'll just take 150 once a day, and yeah, VE is right, it's a morning med.

It is a morning med for most people. ;)

Another big difference is that some insurance companies will refuse to cover a 2/day XL prescription. The formulary states

it's a 1/day medication and that is that! It doesn't matter to them that 150 mg 2/day may be more effective for the patient

than 300 mg 1/day (at least it probably costs more to them that way)

i didn't like some of the generic SR i was getting which is why i take the XL even though i have a higher copay. i may be full of it though, or it may have been just that one company's generic.

IIRC, generics are allowed +/- 20% variance from the original formulation ... I think that's supposed to be absorption and

peak blood values, but it could be the drug itself. Ritalin may be the big offender for generic and brand names being wildly

different in effect; other meds may also have the same problem. And, for some people the "inert" ingredients aren't that "inert."

• 3 weeks later...

I had a seriously bad time with a generic SR that the insurance company made me use. It was almost like I was taking the evil version of an anti-depressant. More like a Pro-depressant. Scared the hell out of both myself and my wife. As soon as I got back on the real stuff, all was well with the world again.

Archived