This is not something that I am dealing with now, but I had a period of about two years where I would obsess *constantly* and be in a constant state of anxiety about the possibility of the sun exploding (I don't even think our sun can do that b/c it's not big enough, right?) and asteroids slamming into the earth. I am not exaggerating when I say it was constant. I would scan the sky all the time to see if it was about to happen. I was very sensitive to outdoor light variations because I thought it (supernova) might be happening. I also got into the habit of checking my locks a bunch of times and having trouble sleeping for fear of someone breaking into my house.

Because I struggle with depression, my obsessions were written off as a part of depression.

Sounds more like anxiety than OCD.

When I go to work I check repeatedly that I've got everything I need to bring. But I class that as anxiety, rather than any OCD, just making sure I don't forget anything.

Similar to your fear of the sun exploding, or asteroids slamming into the earth.... When I was younger I had extreme anxiety for a several months about UFO's landing and later an immense fear of "human combustion", after reading about it in a magazine called "The Unexplained". I was absolutely terrified that I'd see someone burst into flames for no apparent reason. It took me a few months to get over that, to convince myself this was not going to happen (or highly unlikely).

I'm generally an anxious person.

This is not something that I am dealing with now, but I had a period of about two years where I would obsess *constantly* and be in a constant state of anxiety about the possibility of the sun exploding (I don't even think our sun can do that b/c it's not big enough, right?) and asteroids slamming into the earth. I am not exaggerating when I say it was constant. I would scan the sky all the time to see if it was about to happen. I was very sensitive to outdoor light variations because I thought it (supernova) might be happening. I also got into the habit of checking my locks a bunch of times and having trouble sleeping for fear of someone breaking into my house.

Because I struggle with depression, my obsessions were written off as a part of depression.

Which leads to my question of can phobias cause some ocd, or is it just part of a phobia? I'm constantly checking for zombies around every corner. And check all side of towels and clothing for spiders before I let it touch my body. *shrugs*

Archived