CrazyBoards.org

Whats your migraine medicine?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take 100 mg Topamax for prevention (works when I'm not in a migraine cycle brought on by outside 'forces' - med changes usually).  Unfortunately, I cannot take any of the the triptans/ergotamines because of either an allergic reaction or some kind of really bad negative reaction that they have with my body.  And my neuro had told me to stay away from them, so, usually my beloved percocet, a dark, quiet room, an ice pack and sleep for me.

Those of you on topamax for prevention...how well does it work for you? I currently take Imitrex...and when it doesn't work, I also have Maxalt and Axert which I haven't tried yet...

I am seeing my doc tomorrow for the sole reason of discussing topamax for prevention...so any info on it would be great!

*whines*  I'm on the great and wonderful Topamax and it doesn't do jack for my migraines.  All that seems to help is over the counter Excendrin Migraine.  And if that doesn't do the trick, then I'm forced to use my stupid Methadone (which is perscribed for my kidneys and their never-ending flank pain).  Ack! 

Well, gotta run...have to get ready for my therapist appt.

Elizabeth

kelly,

I tried Elavil first, and I went from 9 migraines in April to 13 in May. So now I am on Topamax and I've had 4 in June. So far so good, I'm still at 50mg and can move up to 100mg if I need to.

I've been on Metoprolol, a beta blocker, for about 10 years for migraines.  It reduced the occurance of my headaches by about 90%. I still get an occassional one, but this medicine was a god send.  It also helps with panic attacks. 

my doc doesnt want to give me anything so my migraines because he says that it is unnecessary.

Ophelia, migraines are a neurological disorder, it isn't like you ate your ice cream too fast. You should ask your doctor about this. There are plenty of migraine medications that are not addictive if that is his concern. I agree with number_6, he's not kept up to date on the subject of migraines.

I don't take anything for prevention. When I do get a Migraine, I take old school Voltaren. Mine mostly are med induced.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is Voltaren?  It sounds like an arch enemy from a 1950's comic book...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's the drugs.com page.

I don't get migraine's regularly, so I don't take anything prophylactically. The last time I had a migraine I had to stumble across the street to a GP, get a shot of Maxalon then take 3 aspirins, lay down in one of their rooms for 40mins and it was 90% relief.

Before that, I can't stomach any pain killers and I swear I am dying (or wish i was  ;) )

Archived