What were you scared of as a child?

Angeljasmine

The skeleton under my bed and the mummy in the closet. I couldn't sleep with the closet door open ('cause then it could get out) and had to take a flying leap onto my bed so the skeleton couldn't grab my ankles (God knows what it would have done to me - I never got that far....)

From the time I was a kid and still now, I am scared shitless of clowns. Don't even need to see a face, a white ruffle or big shoe puts me in a panic attack into unconsciuosness. No clue why. Don't care why, who wants to go to the circus anyway?

Oh my Gawd. I had the exact same fear of Dr who as you did! That music was so very deeply scary. I hid from it also. My dad watched that show and I absolutely dreaded it. Pure terror. Another show that did it for me was when I watched a cartoon in another country. It was an animated show of animals in the forest and they were hunting each other down and being hunted by humans. It just haunted me. Every night those two shows were on. As a kid I was afraid of violence. For a long time I would become extremely distressed anytime someone raised their voice. To this day I am unable to stand someone debate a topic. To me it is anger not joy.

Going to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I was sure that someone was laying down in the tub ready to get me. I brought my teddy bear for protection (like he was going to do anything!)

I was always scared of walking into my bedroom and having someone standing outside my bedroom, standing at my window, looking in.

I must have seen this in a movie or on TV or something. It scared the hell out of me every time I'd walk into my room. Any time I'd lift the shade or open blinds or anything, I was terrified. I'd have nightmares of it sometimes. I'm still a little like that.

My fears included "things" in the closet (to this day I still have to close the closet door completely before I go to bed), jesters (blame that one on "Poltergeist"), and those shape shifting shadows when you stare too long into a dark corner of the room...

And I was always afraid of disappointing anyone.

Potatoe bugs(aka Jerusalem cricket), i avoided the side yard of my folks house for years after i saw one when i was about five, i finally had to help paint the house when i was 10 and did not see any...

Oh and i STILL hate/fear fucking clowns and im 44and a Cyborg

Ray

Me too on the clowns. *shudder*

I also avoided drain grates in the ground like the plague. My dad alternately called me Tinkerbell or Flat Stanley (remember the children's book about the paper-thin boy?) because they were small enough (and unrealistic enough!) to characterize my irrational fear of falling thru the drain grates. Same with storm drains, manhole covers, anything that could even remotely possibly cause me to fall into a hole in the ground.

Interestingly, I wasn't afraid of heights though. I could climb trees and run around on the roof perfectly fine. WTF?

To those who were (or still are) scared of clowns, you wouldn't have wanted to live in the town where I grew up. Just down the road from us lived a couple of clowns, they were quite well known. Sometimes they'd come out of their house fully dressed up and made up as clowns, and go on their way to whatever it is that clowns do. Once I knew they lived there I didn't play in that area anymore.

I was never really afraid of clowns, but I know that I always hated them. Even now if ever I see a clown on tv I immediately have to change the channel, I just can't stand them really.

To those who were (or still are) scared of clowns, you wouldn't have wanted to live in the town where I grew up. Just down the road from us lived a couple of clowns, they were quite well known. Sometimes they'd come out of their house fully dressed up and made up as clowns, and go on their way to whatever it is that clowns do. Once I knew they lived there I didn't play in that area anymore.

I was never really afraid of clowns, but I know that I always hated them. Even now if ever I see a clown on tv I immediately have to change the channel, I just can't stand them really.

Oh, my. If that showed up on my street I think I'd be simultaneously laughing my ass off at the bizarreness of it all... and running the other way as fast as I could.

As a toddler I am told I was scared of grass. You could leave me on a blanket in the middle of a field and I wouldn't move off the blanket. I got over it, no worries now. I was also scared of bullies, shouting, a monster I thought was under my bed and my brother because he could throw awesome tantrums.

The giant orange fuzzy ants.

For years my parents made me thnk they were a hallucination.

I just found out last year they WEREN'T!

cowant.jpg

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Though technically they are a wasp.

Not an ant.

That image is from the following site that has much more information:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/13126/bgimage

*shiver*

Oh my goodness I remember seeing those as a kid and being just petrified of them... I haven't seen one of those in a long time, although I don't know why. I guess I just don't spend as much time outside as I did back then...

*shiver*

masks. i'm still scared of them. i like individual ones because they are pretty, but i don't like people wearing them and i hate masquerades. it extends to lots of makeup (people with no taste, clowns, kids thinking they're grown up)....

ladders. as in being up them. including little two step stools. i'm not good with heights until i get really high and then i suddenly love them. high as in high up, not as in on drugs. i love airplanes, hot air balloons, fifty story buildings...

any loud noises. the fire alarm went off in my house as a kid and i hid under my bed from the noise for six hours. (yes, something was burning lol. apparently i ruined supper by not going out and checking on it. my mom is still mad at me.)

any black bug because they crawl under your skin and leave radio devices allowing the bad guys to track where you are and what you are saying and doing.

cameras. because they watched you. the moose hoof hanging on my dad's wall because it had a camera in it and watched me all day when i was at home. photos on the wall because my dad's dead mother watched me through hers and so all the others must be watching me too.

um. tons of things. i've gotten over maybe a tenth of them lol.

abifae

Dude, clowns fer sure, mostly cuz of :Poltergeist"...heh, guess it ain't just me!

This book I read in like 4th grade. Thought it would be OK cuz a friend had checked it out prior...after, I was scared to death of some Blob-like fungus creature coming out the toilet and sinks, and of a giant spider that would eat my family. Good times!

The basement--loved it, cuz of my toys, but...it was kind of eerie down there alone, for some reason. And it was a brand-new house we built too! Oh well, in later years the pool table made up for it. ;)

I don't remember everything I was frightened of as a child (I was afraid of a lot of things), but I do remember that I couldn't sleep at night if the closet door was open, or if the bedroom door was open.

I can't have my feet hanging out of the covers to this day... something might grab them.

I couldn't pass a window at night if the curtains were open, or climb stairs alone at night. It took me until I was thirty to get over those. I still get the creepy crawlies when I do.

Big dogs - unless they were mine. :-) Then I loved 'em.

Never heard of Dr. Who. But the show Nightstalker freaked me the hell out. My dad watched it all the time, and I had this morbid fascination - I'd watch it with him, then have nightmares for days.

I also had a fear of not waking up in the morning. Yeah... I remember that.

i had a shiney, metal door knob on my closet door. every night it would glow red. i was convinced (between the ages of 7-9) that there were demons in my closet waiting to get me, so i prayed like hell and stayed up half the night, so the demons wouldn't get me (i did poorly in school due to being bp and lack of sleep).

one day when i was about 9-10, i got up the guts to go and open the closet door.

you know what i noticed?

our next door neighbor had one of those electric christmas candles plugged in on her windowsill, and had it on at night like a nightlight. it was only the reflection of that light off of the door knob!

boy did i feel stupid, relieved and stupid ;)

I was afraid to flush the toilet because I thought there was something in there that would come out if I flushed it.

Clowns...wow, why are so many of us afraid of them?

I was and still am afraid of most men I don't know.

I was always afraid to let any part of my body hang over the edge of my bed because I thought something would grab me.

I have always been deathly afraid of being abducted.

I've never really been afraid of monsters...it has always been people for me. Bad people. Bad men.

:shivers:

I hadn't thought about clowns in a long time. Ugh. Fuckin' clowns.

Deathly afraid of the dark. But that was because at night, mother and evil step-father would darken the house, put on sheets, grab a candle and come down the hall, wooo-ing like ghosts to scare the shit out of me.

fookin whackjobs. Now I leave a light on.

Unfortunately for me nothing.

I had parents that were in the role of the children.

So at that time with being second oldest and only girl of four children, I felt a sense of responsibility.

Which later grew to adolescent fearlessness.

which led to the usual endings.

I don't remember a lot of specifics, since I tended to think that everyone was scared of what I was and therefore it wasn't worth mentioning.

burglars, arsonists, murderers -- they scared the shit out of me when I was little. I mean, I'm like 6 years old and I can't sleep because someone might come crashing through my window and kill me before I can yell for my parents? I think that's the first sign of non-normality. heh.

I've been afraid of the toilet flushing too, but usually only when it's quiet. monsters don't attack when it's loud.

along the same line as the nighttime-attackers, I was scared to death of windows, too. this added another conundrum, as I couldn't figure out whether it would be better to face the window (and thus have a warning of the person bursting in to kill me), or to not face the window (and have no warning, but then if I'm not staring at it, it might not happen _because_ I'm not staring at it.)

and dumbwaiters. I'd forgotten about those until a few days ago when my brother was watching Zathura. I read a book a long time ago, a sort of horror book that was for children but still entirely unappropriate. it involved (and the details are fuzzy) people in a restaurant disappearing and severed body parts coming down on the dumbwaiter. it's gotten better, but things that are along those lines still scare me.

oh! and it's funny this board should pop up now because I'm at my grandparents' house, and they used to have this horrible cat named Tex. I don't think he was really as horrible as I remember, but he was a generally mean and very street-smart cat, and so I wasn't allowed to pet him because he might bite me when I was little, and this developed into a fear, which became an obsession, and now it's still unnerving. there's a guest room I can't sleep in because of all the nights I stayed up, terrified that Tex might come into my room and kill me in my sleep. I'm still jumpy around corners.

these things seem so silly now, especially about the cat.

• 1 month later...

Darkness, like most kids. I was so scared of it that I would lie on the same side and stare at the wedge of light that came through in the hallway and wrap my hair around my finger tightly every single night. Which isn't bad... until you realize that I would wake up with pieces of hair on my finger every morning and one side of my head now has thicker hair than the other.

Yay for not putting nightlights in kids' rooms. It was fine in the hallway. Not in my room for some reason.

Loudness.

Being stuck in the garage while the doors was closing.

The vaccuum cleaner. [We have an audio tape somewhere of me getting scared of it and screaming.]

Fire alarms, cars starting and sometimes idling, depending where.

Anything that was loud and overwhelming. When I was really young, sometimes the echoing in the YMCA pools bothered me, even though I was a swimmer.

I didn't like opening doors at night because I was always convinced there was something behind them.

When I was little I could not sleep on a bed that had any part of it in front of a window. It was a major issue at slumber parties. I would sleep on the floor. haha. The reason was that I was afraid someone was going to shoot me through the window. Not break it and kidnap me, not do anything else... the only fear was that someone was going to aim through the window from the street or something and shoot me. This fear carried whether or not the window was facing a street or accessible area, or even if it was on a second or third story.

And this only technically counts, because I was 17... but Loon's story reminded me so I thought I'd tell it.

I woke up one night my senior year of high school at what I thought was like 2, 3 in the morning... middle of the night. The clock light bothered me so it was across the room and facing the wall and I couldn't see the exact time. At my parents' house I had a room that was a finished off part of the garage and only had one small window past the foot of my bed. I had black curtains on this window (hey, at least my mom never let me paint the room dark purple like I wanted when I was 14) and there was a strange glowing around the edges of the curtain. My first thought was that someone was shining a flashlight in my window. Which was freaky... but then I remembered that my window faced part of the patio which was like, blocked off with this cement wall and looked like a strange little room and wouldn't be where you'd shine a flashlight in, anyway... you'd have to have walked around the whole house to do it. And we had a really neurotic dog, so I knew someone creeping around the house in the middle of the night would have woken him up... deer in the yard woke him (and everyone else) up on more than one occasion (this was also out in the middle of nowhere).

For reasons that I really cannot fathom now, I became absolutely 100% concvinced it was aliens. That sounds like, stupidly ridiculous and completely unbelievable, and I really can't justify it. I don't even really think I believe alien contact has ever happened... but I really don't think about it or worry about it. I have no idea why I became convinced of this. Part of it was that the light looked funny to me, like it was too bright to be a flashlight. But I was absolutely, positively horrorstruck with the idea that I was going to have to pull back my curtain and look... because I had to know... but I didn't want to be burdened with the proof of alien existance or be probed or anything. hahaha. So I like, gather up all my little courage in my heart and creep down to the edge of my bed and wisk away the curtain....

And it's fucking daylight.

I don't know why I thought it was the middle of the night... because my curtains were black? I don't know. But I just woke up thinking it was the middle of the night and rather than incorporate the presence of daylight into my view of the world it became aliens peeking inside my windows in Southern Oregon. Totally bizarre. But hilarious.

I was always scared of walking into my bedroom and having someone standing outside my bedroom, standing at my window, looking in.

omg I thought I was the only one who was affraid of that. It's like.. they're not coming in, they're not going to do anything, but I'm scared shitless because I know they are there... I used to have my dad lock-close my curtains at night from outside and I wouldn't dare go out to the balcony to close it myself (because they're there!) CheshireCat, your avatar is much similar to what I was scared of!

Other fears:

- That my mother would leave one day unexpectedly and not say bye. (she tended to fake-leave every couple of months when my dad did something she didn't approve of.. of course I just recently realized it was my dad who was upsetting her and not me... stupid parents.)

- That my mother would die at the middle of the night (I even stayed up in bed most of the night making sure she is still snoring until I'd pass out)

- That my brother would come to my room and do those things he does... or that if I wake up and shout before he has the time to run away he would kill me or rape me...

- The small blue monster in the bathtub... then my dad convinced me that he was a friendly monster and that he is my friend... my mom told me if I say I'm scared of going to the bathroom again she'll punish me...

- TOYS... all human-shaped or animal-shaped little toys... anything that is too small to be a human being! I'm still affraid of toys, but no one knows that... I thought toys were evil midgits that pretend to be non-living so kids would bring them into their house and then they can hurt their parents and them and take over the house.. Oh, there is a green spirit living inside them.. of course I don't think there is a green spirit inside them anymore, but I'm still scared of them.

- That short old man who looks like a midget santa and who comes in the middle of the night and puts things in a big santa-like bag... I still have the image popping in my head when I sleep in my old bedroom at my parents house...

- Large places with no walls... the possibility of "another" being there without me knowing.

- The wolves under the bed till about age 5, then the very-very old man under my bed who wants to touch me...

- people knowing about what I am thinking... regardless of how unimportant it is...

funny I always found clowns rediculous and rather annoying.. not scary, but very aweful!

lexi

People. Their eyes of judgement were always upon me, and I couldn't stand to look at the in the eyes. If I had to be somewhere where there were lots of people, like the church my parents insisted on dragging me to, noises got louder and louder until it was deafening. It's no wonder I started stealing my mother's valium when I was 10.

And spiders. I remember picking up a doll, maybe I was 7 or 8, and there was a gargantuan spider under it. I screamed til my throat was hoarse. And now I own three tarantulas. Go figure.

Clowns. Just like everybody else here. My brother is also scared of clowns. My parents discovered this by taking us to the circus once when we were kids. It didn't go well. ;)

I was also scared of Mr. Boogedy. I'm sorry; I know how lame that is.

I used to have lots of nightmares about snakes. We won't discuss what Freud would have thought of that.

My Mom. Bizarre, cruel punishments then fiercely loving. I never knew what was coming. Posthumously, she is thought to have had a serious mood disorder or BPD.

Recurring nightmares of being sucked into quicksand,

recurring nightmares of digging up a small chest and finding my friend's head in it,

recurring nightmares of a predator coming after me and me hitting him in the head or face with a shovel or something, intending to kill him, then him being horribly wounded but not dead and me having to hit him again and again to put him out of his misery.

running into dangling skeletons in the dark after seeing "Long John Silver"

Terrified of heights- to this day.

Terrified (and I mean REALLY terrified) of large, blank movie screens--please restrain your hysterical laughter. When the movie came on, I was fine, but something about all that huge blank, lit space. There was a buildfing in Atlanta that had a top like that--just a huge slab of light concrete, lit at night. I was terrified of that building.

I get the creeps just writing about it.

And anything with more than 4 llegs must die. 4 or less--cool with me.

And I still remember being about 4 years old and my mom having to take me out of "Fantasia" the disney movie--Mickey and that broom and all that water that wouldn't stop--

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't scared of much as a child, my biggest fear was the wires in the walls. I thought they would catch on fire and burn the house down while we slept. I used to think I could hear them shorttng out (weird popping sounds) when I was little and would panic and run into my parents room screaming. Oddly enough, my brother and I caught the kitchen on fire 3 times, once where the fire dept. had to come and assist, and that never bothered me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

never even noticed this thread when it was first posted...

my fears included (n.b. - the list is not all-inclusive; far from)...

Dogs, bullies, my parents*, living with my parents*, having my parents come anywhere near my room*,

my parents bitching that I have to keep my room neat and orderly (including making the bed every day)[2],

nightmares w/ or without sleep paralysis*, exploding head syndrome[3], flying glass objects courtesy of Mom,

cockroaches (only the ones that fly)*, low-flying aircraft, loud-as-fvck fighter jets*, fireworks*,

fire ants[4], thunderstorms and tornadoes, the Emergency Broadcast/Emergency Alert Systems (when those

went off for real in Indiana, we knew we were in deep sh*t!)*.[5]

Misc. notes, which are actually longer than my fears:

*indicates fears I still have

[2] They still have this demand, and the next time I hear "keep clutter-free!" from my neurotic mother [while visiting my parents], I'm probably going to lose my cool and kick her so hard that instead of her flying backwards, the rest of the earth will turn forwards due to it. At least Dad is coming upon understanding the fact that I only keep clutter-free for them.

[3] This actually exists, and has nothing to do with one's head exploding. A stage-I sleep version of the night terror, generally it's the sensation upon falling asleep that one just heard a loud bang, almost as if it originated inside the head. The sleeper then wakes up, heart racing, head thumping, and sweating. Almost everybody experiences it once in their lives, but people prone to twilight and awakening hallucinations, such as narcoleptics like me, are also more prone to EHS.

[4] When I was 6 years old and living in Georgia, I was outside flying a kite with my dad, and walked back and backed myself up against a fence to keep the kite afloat without it hitting trees. There happened to be a fire ant mound under my feet at that point. I did gain a great appreciation of the term "ants in your pants" after that one.

[5] What's amusing now is that I either don't care or am fascinated by severe weather. My parents have a tendency to fall asleep with the TV on (especially during summer months when it's light out past their bedtime), and suddenly the EAS will go off with a tornado warning in the county. My mom would come screaming into my room that there was a tornado, and that we had to shelter in the basement... I got a habit of telling her that her and Dad could go shelter and let me sleep, and that if I felt the house going airborne, I'd join them downstairs.

This is how we go about it / to make our heads explode all night...

Monster Magnet, "Explode"

The dark. My father. My mother. My grandparents (all 4 of them). Disappointing my teachers. Sleeping (still have this one). Showers (still have this one). Thunderstorms.

I was one messed up kid.

dolls. the damnable things still make me want to piss myself. my 4 year old has one that has a motion sensor and will begin to talk when you walk past it or during loud thunderstoms. i have my very own version of chucky in my house.. ;)

clowns. the epitomy of pure evil.

spontaneous human combustion. i still keep waiting to burst into flames.

my mother..aka..the antichrist.

spontaneous human combustion. i still keep waiting to burst into flames.

I went through a stage when I was younger when I was absolutely TERRIFIED of this, thanks to my dad's collection of magazines "The Unexplained". I was dead scared that I would see somebody burn up and die into a small pile of ashes, either somebody next to me or somebody in the street.

What were you scared of most when you were a child?

This thread is funny.... but sad. We each had fears, but hardly ever the same ones. Some of the fears listed here seem hilarious and weird to me, (like spontaneous human combustion and exploding heads) but I know mine weren't any more rational.... even though my subconcious keeps mumbling ...

LIARS! Surely they were also afraid of lifting up the buildings and the water oozing uncontrollable out from underneath them? And huge tires endlessly chasing them? And what about doors? You have to sneak up to them, slam and lock them. As soon as you reach for the door, wolves bad guys whatever will rush the door and try force it open if you can't get the damn thing locked in time and then run to the back door and lock that too...

...those fears seemed so real to me at the time, even now I can feel echoes of them in my soul, I feel surely others felt them too? Isn't that definition of real?

But no, real in my head and real in your head is different. So each is fundamentally alone.

• 4 months later...

-What awaited me when I went to my neighbors/babysitters house each day

-Saying the wrong thing and getting smacked around at home

-Nightmares of big snakes, constricting me, coming through the walls, coming up out of the toilet when I was going to the bathroom, etc.

-Murderers that I thought were after me and my family

-Afraid to go to sleep at night, because I thought someone was going to kill me while I was sleeping.

-The demon that I saw that would yell at me. (Guess I was a Schizo to some degree pretty much from the start)

-And for reasons still unbeknown to me, the merry-go-round, and the Rainbow Brite show. A little odd, yes.

• 2 weeks later...

The dark (I'm starting to become afraid of it again, which is odd because I haven't been afraid of it since I was...8-ish?..I guess).

I was terrified of the vacuum cleaner (once, my dad found me hiding in my closet and refusing to come out until he stopped vacuuming), which was made more difficult by the fact that it was put in my closet when not in use (I really hate the fact that they still use my closet for their shit ;) ).

More than anything though, I was, and still am to a degree, absolutely terrified (more like mentally tortured by the mere idea) of dogs.

I was very nearly attacked by two huge rottweilers when I was three years old (on Halloween night, no less; I, a boy, was dressed as tinkerbell...a clue perhaps? :) [i'm gay, in case you can't tell]) and, ever since, I was incapable of even being in the same room with a dog.

My dad once sent me, with a tray of bannana bread, to greet the new neighbors and our other neighbor's dog was loose in the street; it chased me back to my house and I was so shaken that I couldn't go outside for several days...it was a boston terrier that couldn't have weighed more than 5 pounds >.< (in a rare display of fatherhood, my dad actually threatened to beat the little sh*t's head in with a length of piping [believe me, he has Narcissistic Personality Disorder, when he acts protective of me at all, he actually cares...for once...])

Now I'm okay around dogs (unless they bark, which makes me think of Halloween, 1993 >.<).

...hm, one of the very few auditory hallucinations I have is of a pack of dogs barking (scares the crap out of me :cussing: ).

recurring nightmares of being sucked into quicksand and of digging up a chest and finding my friend's severed head in it.

also, my mom's anger which was completely unpredictable and would take the most bizarre forms of punishments out on me.

the future, and how futile and hopeless it would be- forever and ever.

I was afraid there were snipers outside my house at night, and I was obsessed with the idea. I'd run past every window, or crawl under it. To this day, I can't really stand in front of a window after sunset without wanting to run away from it.

This one is from when I was about four or five: Any time the "We are experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by" message would appear on TV (wow, I guess that dates me), I was convinced it was because an axe-wielding murderer had slain everyone in the TV station, and just by my watching the TV, I'd be next. Eventually I feared the words "stand by" or "operators are standing by" because of the association.

I'm not sure if this counts as a fear, but whenever the Emergency Broadcast System test would come on TV, I would run out of the house, screaming. It never occurred to me to turn off the TV or turn down the volume because I was too wigged out.

It's surprising I wasn't afraid of TV in general. ;)

I was a nervous kid...

-Airplanes. Not travelling in one, but seeing one in the sky.

-I was absolutely horrified of dragonflies. I thought they'd start to chase me and touch me. Other insects too...I once tried to jump out of a moving car because there was a cockroach on the seat next to me.

-Worms and larvae.

-Nuclear explosion.

-My parents dying (still get upset of that one ;). )

-Being left alone.

-Dark.

-One dream I used to have (about glowing bunnies in dark.)

-A curtain rod in bedroom. It looked weird in the dark, like an oversized cat (don't ask xD ).

-Some tv-programs for kids. There was one that had a sandman at the end. I always hid during that. I thought the sandman would throw his sleeping-sand at me xD. Well, I was very young then.

-Hyperventilating, feeling like I would suffocate.

-New situations, new people.

-Loud or sudden noices or voices. I still hate them, but not to the point they actually hurt my ears.

-Robots. A relative had a walking doll that scared the crap out of me.

-Vacuum cleaners made me feel really uneasy.

-Getting my head/face wet -> I was afraid of suffocating. My mom had to fight to get my hair washed. I'm still a bad swimmer and don't know how to dive.

That there was always someone/something behind me, that looked just like me, but whenever I would turn my head around to try to catch him, he would move with my head so that he was still behind me. Sometimes I would try to turn my head around really fast when I thought he wasn't expecting it, but go figure, I never caught him. Today I occasionally still feel like someone is behind me...and sometimes I still turn my head!

That there was always someone/something behind the shower curtains...whenever I would visit the bathroom, pulling back the curtains and locking the door always came first. Sometimes I would even check under the sink (you know, so that a contortionist wouldn't be in there)! Today it's sometimes the curtains, but always the door, and rarely under the sink.

The dark...I always feel like someone is watching me. Maybe that guy isn't behind me when the lights go off! (Flicks the light switch unexpectedly) Damn it...I still didn't get him! Sometimes I still think that there is someone there...

Getting sucked down the bathroom drain...

Porcelain dolls...

My father...

Clowns...

That's all I can remember right now...A lot of things scared me when I was younger (I think I may have just been a little bit paranoid). Today though, don't even get me started on public bathrooms (locks bathroom stall and listens for anyone else to come in)!

I was afraid there were snipers outside my house at night, and I was obsessed with the idea. I'd run past every window, or crawl under it. To this day, I can't really stand in front of a window after sunset without wanting to run away from it.

I can relate to this one, except mine was that someone was waiting for me behind the window, and that if I got too close to the glass, he would break through and drag me outside. I wonder if I knew about snipers when I was 10 that this would have been my fear? To this day, I hate seeing shadows move passed my window at night...and I still get that paranoid feeling around them sometimes too! I mean today, it makes me laugh about how I used to run past them, or take a big circle around them, but...I guess I really was afraid of windows at night!

• 2 weeks later...

People and children. Crowds. Preferred animals to people.

As a child until I was 13 I played by myself. I asked my parents once why I didn't have many playmates when I was younger and they said I wasn't interested. When I was 13 I started working in my grandparents jewellery shop and that really helped my confidence and interactions with people.

The alien on the old Star Trek with the big head in the end credits.

Demons - I was convinced that they were out to kidnap me when the lights went out and slept with my head under the covers clutching my teddy!

Never like clowns - my grandparents use to take me to the circus.

Films such as Alien and one about an African statue that came to life and killed people - it was only a foot tall so could get under sofas, chairs etc. So would sit on the sofa with my legs up.

Sharks - have a huge fear that I'm going to get eaten - legs first - even in the UK. Seeing Jaws just compounded it for me.

Spontaneous human combustion - and I have no idea where that one comes from !!!!!!

Hawk

This post cracked me up - mostly, bc when I first read it, I thought, "I wasn't afraid of anything"....then, as I read it, I said, "oh yeah, I was afraid of that, and that too, and that....". SO, some of the things that others were afraid of, that I remembered:

1. Dragon flies - I thought that those long tails were stingers and that it would really hurt - like they were super-bees that could kill me - or flying scorpions. I would run away from those (never screaming or anything, bc we weren't really allowed to show fear) - up until I was an adult, and I found out they weren't stingers - now I could care less.

2. People coming in through the windows after dark when I was in bed - until I was around 7, when we moved and my bedroom was on the 2nd floor. I've recently started having nightmares about people stalking the newer house though and trying to get in....weird.

3. I'd have nightmares that were so real and after I'd wake up, I'd think that monsters/people were in the house/under the bed. Not until AFTER the nightmares was I afraid. I STILL have these fears to this day and try to wake hubby to check the house - he sleeps like the dead, so I have to go do it....no idea why nightmares suddenly make me believe this weird sh*t.

4. Waiting until my father got home - I don't remember if he ever actually did anything when he got home - but when he was home he beat the hell out of me...so getting in trouble in general was always debilitating.

Things that I was afraid of that others weren't (and I can't believe):

1. Escalators - I was afraid that I'd either trip or get a shoelace caught and it would shred me to ribbons. I still have to time it just right to get on those damned things. It makes most people laugh.

2. My Italian speaking great grandmother - she was old and sickly and sometimes in bed using oxygen. She terrified me to no end even though she loved me very, very much. She made me slipper socks (oh what I wouldn't give for a pair of those now) and awesome cookies and always wanted to hug and kiss me. I did my duty and listened (for fear of aforementioned beatings later), but inside I was having heart attacks....I think it was bc she didn't speak a word of English. I wish she were alive now......

Phew - I've never told anybody some of those things before....

To me Dr therapy is a big boa constrictor. Neurologists are CREEEPY. they don't talk. And to think one has the ability to control if one ever talks, walk, or pees again. ;)

I was little when my parents took me to a castle and I thought it was haunted cause the scary male automated voice in each room spoke in each and every room following me. Then my mom leaves me alone and goes out to the car to wait for me without telling me. I ran in and out of every room for hours until I realized yes she did indeed leave me there so I'd better figure out how to get myself home. Then I saw her in the car.

I hear from a relative that she would leave in pet stores while she grocery shopped.

My parents took me to florida and there was some live snake demonstration and my parents made me be the child to volunteer to hold the poisonous things. This after a demonstration on what type of snakes there are in that state and which ones are poisonous. This before going to disney land and having to go down under in a submarine in 1000 leagues under the sea. I don't think I knew that is was a ride. Then I nearly drowned twice at Disney. Once because I went into a lake by myself with noone around and I did not know how to swim. Then my mom made me go down an adult water slide even though I was not tall enough for the ride. The life gaurd fished me out.

Oh yeah and one more in case you are still thinking that my parents be nurturing ones. I was 12, afraid of needles, and I want to be able to wear earings. What do they do? Stick an ice cube behind my ear and it gets done the old fasioned way. And no easy studs. Hoop ear rings for sure. "#$#^%@$"

The Zodiac killing in the area. Trains after an older kid told us about how they run over people and cars (which unfortunately did happen too often). Seeing the Viet Nam war on the news. Bella Lagosi Dracula flicks and scary movies/TV in general. In someways fearless, in others afraid of everything. Go figure. Then there was the real life bad stuff, but that's not for this thread.

• 10 months later...

Now I'm scared of who ever want's to put the clows house on fire!

I turned out to be a clown and I blame it to all the scary shit that happened to me when I was a child, an a teen

-Absolute fear of hospital (nervous break down)

-Ererything sharpe I meen everything from knifes to sharks teeth.OUF..

-In my bed I could not let any parts of my body on the edge because I would fall down the middle of the eart or be sliceed by a giant blade comming from the sy.Had big problems sleepinghas some of you the monster in the closet and undrer the bed coming out of the wall, windows..

-Nightmare of fling all aroud in places I did not know(afraid of hight) But now I like to travel that way, less expensive.

-Finaly being raped, tortured and cute in peaces.

-By chance I was realy affraid of needles, and blood so I did not shoot myself

-And finaly of what would happened to me if I commited suicide.

Probably others that don't come to mind rigth now

These days I'm just affraid of loosing my job!

Ciao Jo

Liked this one ;)

Mostly irrational things.

Until i was 8 I thought that if we left the car window open while driving over a bridge(of which our city had like 20 of) that I would be sucked out of the car and into the water. I would scream bloody murder until everyone put the windows up while we went over it.

I thought a monster lived in our basement and would eat me if I went down there by myself, but for some reason it would leave me alone if anyone was with me, even my toddler brother.

The TOILET. I was absolutely convinced that a tentacle would come out of the toilet and drag me into the sewer system if my buttocks made contact with the seat. I peed in the bathtub a few times because I was so scared. My mom got PO'd about that and made me use the toilet. I would hover, do my business, and then run like hell out of the bathroom.

Spontaneous human combustion

Re-reading this thread keeps reminding me of things I was afraid of when as a kid. :) I used to read all kind of "unexplained mysteries" stuff and this was the #1 fear that brought about!

Does anyone remember the series The Night Stalker ? My dad watched that all the time when I was a kid (I was born in 66, so I was about 8 when this came out?), and he let us watch it with him! ;) Needless to say that we had some interesting fears come from watching that series - including a short-lived fear of Native Americans. To this day, I'm wary of walking past unattended heavy equipment like dump trucks or wreckers because I'm afraid they will be possessed by spirits and try to kill me. That's a throw-back from The Night Stalker and a couple of other movies.

The only real fears I had as a child are the 2 that stick with me to this day. Blood tests--I don't care about shots going in, I just don't want my blood to come out. And bees/wasps. I was badly stung after happening upon a nest when I was 3, so I know where that fear came from.

And one that maybe y'all will understand. As a teen, my mom became very, very unstable and I feared more than anything I would end up the same. But it was a good warning to me and I've been able to jump on and treat stuff that maybe I wouldn't have otherwise.

The only real fears I had as a child are the 2 that stick with me to this day. Blood tests--I don't care about shots going in, I just don't want my blood to come out. And bees/wasps. I was badly stung after happening upon a nest when I was 3, so I know where that fear came from.

What do you do when you're afraid of blood tests and you're on lithium???? Just like me, you passout.

My fear of blood apparently comes (a nurse told me that) from as far as my birth, because my mom nearly died and there was blood all over the place and no more in the hospital ( it was a small town) for tranfusion...yack just saying it ;) gives me the goosbump

Ciao Jo

• 2 weeks later...

Not in this order but,

Santa Clause (the one at the stores that you sit in the lap of, not the REAL one of course)

Zombies

The Wolfman

The Mummy (a little to many horror movies I was allowed to stay up and watch obviously)

Parents would not give in to my request for garlic cloves to be hung at the front door.

What were you scared of most when you were a child?

I was real scared of the tv program Dr Who. I'd hide behind the couch in fear until it was over. Even the music was scary.

I never liked people sneaking up or getting behind me. I guess I feel vulnerable. Another lifelong fear is being confined or held too tightly, or pinned down. I dont know why, I just hate being pinned down even if it is in fun. Weird, it has been a part of me for as long as I can remember.

Responsibility. Having to take care of myself.*

My parents dying (partly because I loved them, partly because it would mean me taking responsibility)*

Being left alone with no friends.*

*still afraid of these

Some of the other usual ones...the dark, someone hiding and ready to jump out at me, etc. Was afraid of those as a kid, not afraid any more...until I read this thread at 1 AM in a dark, deserted house. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I was afraid of the PBS Head (logo) that would come on after watching sesame street. The music too even though it was just a short piano riff. I would run away and plug my ears once the show was over, lol.

I was also afraid of the tv showing the transistor stations of the main station. That one is truly baffling.

I was really afraid of the video for "Owner of a Lonely Heart" by Yes because there a scene where spaghetti or something was coming out of his eyes. Or was that Peter Gabriel (my first crush, lol)? I can't remember.

You know what really bothers me now? The fucking emergency alert system sound. Could it sound any more bizarre and scary? I always get a little nervous whenever I hear it.

Archived