CrazyBoards.org

stuttering

Guest need help

I am 16 years old and I have a problem with stuttering.

I've had it all my life and I recieve speech therapy for it, but therapy does not work.

Last year I started experimenting with drugs and I discovered that marijuana and alcohol cure my stutter.

However, i don't want to become dependent on these drugs to cure my stutter because they're hard to get and they're also illegal.  I am aware that there are some antipsychotic drugs that can cure the stutter but the side effects of these drugs make me wonder if they're really worth using.

My question is, are there any pills or therapies that could cure my stutter with the least amount of negative side effects?

Thank you for replying.

I don't want to make any blind guesses, but have you considered that anxiety can be a contributing factor to your stuttering?

Is the smoking and drinking truly experimentation or is it habitual?

If you feel more relaxed when you are smoking and/or drinking- anxiety might be part of the issue. If so,  maybe seeing a counselor, even if only for a little while, may help you to aleve any anxiety or stress you could be experiencing. I don't know if there is something else going on that is making it more difficult to improve this with speech therapy alone.

There are some medications that can help, though I am by no mean the best person to respond to that portion of your post.  I would certainly suggest at least exploring counseling before meds, as this would have the least amount of side effects.

Certainly stay far far away from self-medicating. It can be a hard habit to break, and it is a terrible place to put yourself in. But you seem to know that already.

Good luck.

~navy~

• 2 months later...

Hey man, I found that effexor worked for me.

I am 16 years old and I have a problem with stuttering.

I've had it all my life and I recieve speech therapy for it, but therapy does not work.

Last year I started experimenting with drugs and I discovered that marijuana and alcohol cure my stutter.

However, i don't want to become dependent on these drugs to cure my stutter because they're hard to get and they're also illegal.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived