How do you tell someone you have BP?

I have had depression my entire life and was diagnosed as BP 2 years ago. Life is a struggle for me. I finally found the courage to start dating again and have found a very nice man. I feel I need to tell him, but I am very fearful about it--fearful of rejection. If I layed out my my entire rocky life with MI I think he would run screaming--I would. I've been hospitalized 6 times and lost years to depression and BP. I work part time now, but still suffer from depression and anxiety.

One thing is that his daughter has been hospitalized many times for cutting. From what I know, he has been very kind and understanding with her situation. So, maybe that will make him more understanding or maybe he won't want to deal with another crazy person! I do get a sense that he wouldn't be suprised that something is wrong because I am often quiet and extremely quiet in social situations (damn social anxiety).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lisa

I have had depression my entire life and was diagnosed as BP 2 years ago. Life is a struggle for me. I finally found the courage to start dating again and have found a very nice man. I feel I need to tell him, but I am very fearful about it--fearful of rejection. If I layed out my my entire rocky life with MI I think he would run screaming--I would. I've been hospitalized 6 times and lost years to depression and BP. I work part time now, but still suffer from depression and anxiety.

One thing is that his daughter has been hospitalized many times for cutting. From what I know, he has been very kind and understanding with her situation. So, maybe that will make him more understanding or maybe he won't want to deal with another crazy person! I do get a sense that he wouldn't be suprised that something is wrong because I am often quiet and extremely quiet in social situations (damn social anxiety).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lisa

This is a tough one. I once dated a woman who actually is a mental health social worker and deals with the mentally ill all day long. About 3 months into the relationship I told her I was BP and she was shocked. She had no idea. I was well at the time and was relatively symptom free, though. I only told her because I knew that was her field and she probably wouldn't "discriminate" against me because of it.

I hate to give advice to folks, but I would say let the relationship go a while without saying anything. See if he notices anything out of the ordinary with your moods and if so, maybe you can explain it then. Maybe he will be understanding if he has had time to know you. I don't know, it is always a gamble.

Good luck.

Archived