CrazyBoards.org

Hypomania from Wellbutrin

Since starting Wellbutrin a week ago I've been in a constant state of euphoric hypomania. Usually my manic episodes last for a couple of hours or so, I've never experienced this before. I guess this should make me more sure of my bipolar diagnosis.

And I've realized hypomania isn't all fun, either. People get annoyed, people get worried and people want you to come down to earth. And I'm in the middle of this drama, but feeling so damn good. It's been a looooong time since I felt so good. But other people hate me, because I start fights, because I want to do everything NOW NOW NOW!, because I get annoyed at everyone else being so slow and because I show no consideration for other people's feelings.

I guess Wellbutrin isn't good for me... But I don't want to stop it! I wanna be hypomanic and feel good!

Gahhh! What to do what to do??

If you want to stop it, the Crazy Meds Wellbutrin page says that you should be reducing by 100-150 mg a week at the most for the SR and XL forms and 75 mg or less a week for the immediate release version.

But other people hate me, because I start fights, because I want to do everything NOW NOW NOW!, because I get annoyed at everyone else being so slow and because I show no consideration for other people's feelings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Based on that, I'd say it's time to go off the Wellbutrin. That and the crash.

Of course, I'm not a doctor...

Wellbutrin is pretty stimulating the first week you're on it and then mellows out.  It does sound like you are a bit hypomanic and it's not just the effect of the med though. 

What formulation are you taking.  Someone here, maybe Navy S., had problems like you're describing with the SR but is doing fine on the XL.

Helena, contrary to what "username" suggests, hypomania is not a good state.  I'm glad you are getting off of Wellbutrin. You will be able to find something that works for you without making you swing to the other extreme. Hang in there!

well let's see- for helena, her state of hypomania ended her up in the hospital.  that was clearly not a good thing.  in my case, manic episodes sure have felt great- i feel invincible, in control, strong, beautiful, brilliant, etc, etc...but as my therapist said to me today. those are delusional feelings.  and delusions are not healthy.  they trick you and hurt those around you and in many cases, ruin relationships and things you've worked hard for, very much like drug addiction does.

so that'd be a few reasons why hypomania isn't such a good thing.

• 1 month later...

A very close friend of mine is a rep. for this drug.  She said that some people can wait out the side effects and do very well, however if it is so extreme to get off.  It is a great drug for some folks but we all have differant  and changing body chemistry.  Personally I tried it and felt aggressive.  This was a few years ago.  I also tried prozac many years ago and it helped.  I tried it last year and I couldn't eat, I became more anxious and insecure.

My hormones are changing and I have endocrine problems.  As far as making ones self purposfully hypomanic,  I think it is irresponsable behaviour, .  Balance, Balance, Balance! Just my opi nion; Doxie  (currently taking xanax, synthroid, cyclomel)

Guest Llamanator

username, yes, it IS bad. VERY bad.

Why?

KINDLING. Every abnormal mood swing (any variety, hypomania and mania are worse than depression, in general, if I understand correctly) fries your brain.

Yes, fries your brain. Makes it more likely that you'll have another episode, and that it will probably be worse. Which means your happy little hypomania can end up evolving into full-blown psychotic mania if you're not careful. I got lucky, and got things...well *barely* controlled enough soon enough to keep things from getting much worse.

Oh, yeah. All that brain-fry activity ends up eating your cognitive functions. Kind of like stooopid meds without the meds.

Then, beyond kindling, as it has been mentioned, is the dysphoric hypomania. Which just. Plain. Sucks. For everyone involved. You never know if it's going to switch. That, and there's the thing with doing really stupid, reckless shit with the normal hypomania.

If you want to fuck up your life by keeping stuff like that unmedicated, fine. Just don't go telling other people to do it. That's called being a stupid fuck.

Mimi

*been there, done that, ain't goin' back*

hypomania isnt a good state.

In addition to kindling, it has 3 ways to go: Mania, dysphoria, or depression. None of these are good. That's where hypomania goes, untreated. It does not return to euthymic, untreated.

Contrary to popular beleif, hypomania is not "very happy". It is a state of more energy than the body and brain needs. A state of more INTENSITY than anyone needs. Just MORE than is needed.

Hypomania is a pathalogical state, and not something to be desired or sought out. Certainly not a state to try to maintain.

Kassiane

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with Kassi and Mimi but I've got to say that hypomania is very appealing to me especially when I'm in the Mad Genius state. I can work faster and get more done in a day than the rest of the section combined. The only problem is IT DOESN'T LAST. Payback is a bitch. Everything slows down to a crawl and I can barely get out of bed. Then I start having visions and hear things. NOT GOOD.

Good mood and average energy and focus to go to work and/or school or just live your "normal" life = good response to meds

Elated mood and super energy and inability to focus because you're the genius of all geniuses and can write the "Great American novel" and cure cancer in one night and spend $800 in 3 days on some really cool useless shit plus 2 hours sleep a night = dangerous hypomania

I tried to stay in the hypomania and was the above person on and off for 2.5 years.  This summer I had a dangerous MANIA where I was harming myself and was so stoopid that I couldn't make simple decisions like what to wear or what to have for breakfast--I literally had to ask a friend.  Then I had an awful mixed state chronicled in a thread on the BP board. 

Decide which above describes you and act accordingly.  I wish I had.

Good mood and average energy and focus to go to work and/or school or just live your "normal" life = good response to meds

Elated mood and super energy and inability to focus because you're the genius of all geniuses and can write the "Great American novel" and cure cancer in one night and spend $800 in 3 days on some really cool useless shit plus 2 hours sleep a night = dangerous hypomania

I tried to stay in the hypomania and was the above person on and off for 2.5 years.

I just started Wellbutrin 4 days ago and I'm a little manic, but I don't normally have mania of any form. It's definitely a strange feeling, and I really hope that it will go away within the next few weeks.

Then how do you know it's mania?

Wellbutrin is fairly stimulating.  Even after having been on it for years It has an effect on me comparable to a cub of coffee only less jittery.  The first couple of weeks the stimulation can be a bit euphoric.  It can also drive you up the wall with anxiety.  It all depends on how you're wired.

I just started Wellbutrin 4 days ago and I'm a little manic, but I don't normally have mania of any form. It's definitely a strange feeling, and I really hope that it will go away within the next few weeks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wellbutrin is fairly stimulating.  Even after having been on it for years It has an effect on me comparable to a cub of coffee only less jittery.  The first couple of weeks the stimulation can be a bit euphoric.  It can also drive you up the wall with anxiety.  It all depends on how you're wired.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Honestly, I don't know what these feelings are - they aren't familiar.

Yes, I am very jittery, as if I stayed up all night on No-Doz and had many pots of coffee. I also feel a little nauseous, with a headache, and increased heartbeat. I don't feel euphoria, it seems a little more than just stimulation, though. More like I overdosed on sudafed or stimulants. And I crash hard, and get fatigued, but my brain won't let me go to sleep.

Honestly, I don't know what these feelings are - they aren't familiar.

Yes, I am very jittery, as if I stayed up all night on No-Doz and had many pots of coffee. I also feel a little nauseous, with a headache, and increased heartbeat. I don't feel euphoria, it seems a little more than just stimulation, though. More like I overdosed on sudafed or stimulants. And I crash hard, and get fatigued, but my brain won't let me go to sleep.

The worst of the initial stimulating effect usually goes away in less than two weeks if I remember correctly.  If you can't make it that long, call your doc and see about either increasing the dose of your xanax  or dropping the Wellbutrin entirely. If you're so miserable you're not sure you can make it another day, it's your right to stop taking the stuff and tell your doc later.

Archived