CrazyBoards.org

Do i really need meds?

To make a long story short, I had to tirate off my meds b/c i didn't know when i'd get to see a dr. again b/c of the stupid county program i'm in.

Today was my first time seeing a dr. in a couple of months. I've been med free since Halloween. I take that back, i've taken klonopin and that is it. I'll admit that depression has been a bitch and lack of motivation has been an even bigger bitch. I'm dealing the best i can.

I explained to the dr. that i'd like to be med free except for something for anxiety. Sometimes I really need my klonopin to get proper sleep. I want to have children in the next couple of years and i really want my body free of toxins.

We talk, i tell him what i've been feeling and esentially while i talk i'm listening to myself and i realize what i'm saying. Ever since i stopped the pills i've been depressed and majorly lacked motivation. So i say to hi "i guess that is the answer..i'm open to your suggestion of what you think i should take."

So i'm prescribed geodon, wellbutrin and klonopin.

Umm...I don't want to take it. I don't want to go back to being controlled by my pills. Granted i'm not doing EXCELLENT without them but i wasn't doing EXCELLENT with them either. I can deal with what i'm feeling now. I don't know if i really need to be medicated.

I'm so perplexed. Inevitably someone is going to say something along the lines of "if you had diabetes would you just stop taking your pills." Not everyone that has diabetes needs to be medicated much like bipolar people. It is on a case to case basis. I'm hoping i'm one of the cases that just doesn't need the pills.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is personal and what you are willing to put up with unless there are any thoughts of death? I would not want to go without antidepressants until up to conception because of post partum depression. I figure my chances of not getting it would be better if having been off for 9 months rather than any longer. Women should TAKE folic acid supplements BEFORE conception to prevent neural tube disorders in fetus (spinal cord birth defects).

Sorry thought I was in the depression forum. With bipolar I think you should not be without meds ever.

Here's the deal

Bipolar eats your brain. With ketchup. The number one reason for taking medication is to prevent future episodes. You can't wait until you have an episode to take medication because by then it's too late. Damage has been done.

http://www.psychiatrist.com/brainstorms/br5807.pdf

http://www.healthyplace.com/communities/bi...rticles/005.asp

http://bipolar.about.com/cs/brainchemistry...9_kindling1.htm

i agree that you should never be without meds. if you're bipolar, that means a mood stabilizer too.

as VE has pointed out, BP does a number to your brain. there is a process called "kindling", and it means that with every episode, and the longer you go without treatment, the worse your disorder becomes. you are not doing yourself or your potential future children any favor by making yourself crazier than you already are.

If the doc says you're bipolar then yep you need the meds. I call that thinking riding the rollercoaster but have no doubts-you need it-don't wait too long to find out how really true that is. Take your meds as soon as possible .A wicked swing in either direction can lay you out on the carpet and it can come without any warning at all.

Take your meds-please

lilie

Mmmm... brains. With catsup!

Um, wha? Oh yeah--swiss cheese brain as I call it. Repeated, untreated manias not only can get worse but have been shown to cause physical brain damage. (Same goes for untreated schizophrenia) I find that bad, personally. My brain's fucked up enough, thanx.

And...you aren't controlled by the meds. Just, I might say, safeguarded. See, it's not so much how you feel now blah blah. It's how you may feel, what you may DO on down the line. I find this talk of "toxins" rather distasteful. Side effects aside, these meds are generally not harmful (and then there are those who have weird-ass reactions, and of course The Rash, but that's all rare).

And hey--if you can handle the whole bipolar bit untreated, what's a little anxiety, eh? Toss the klono if you're gonna toss the rest of the "toxins", that's my advice. But, I'm an all-or-nothing kinda guy.

I'll tell you why I take my pills everyday--because I know what will happen without them. Been there, Ain't going back.

I'm kind of sorry i posted here.

I thought that i would receive support from people that wanted to maybe live med free someday. You know it is possible. You don't have to be a slave to the phameceutical industry for the rest of your life. Granted i understand that some people MAY need meds forever, NOT ME!

Here's the deal

Bipolar eats your brain. With ketchup. The number one reason for taking medication is to prevent future episodes. You can't wait until you have an episode to take medication because by then it's too late. Damage has been done.

Jeez, VE, those articles make scary reading. I knew the stuff about kindling, but I never realised that my brain spent 25 years rotting away from the inside before I got dx'd. Without being flip about it, that really helps explain why I'm not as smart as I used to be.

And Joolz, I reject your reality and substitute my own. ;-)

You don't have to be a slave to the phameceutical industry for the rest of your life.

Unfortunately, though, we are all slaves to reality.

Our realities differ greatly!

Differing realities indeed! Sad when the "real" one steps up and smacks ya right across the face, no?

We're not "slaves" to pharma, hell, any of us can decide to quit. It's a choice; for me, lots of pricey meds and crappy side effects, or... well I do have a Springer thread for that shit. And two threads in Confessions. I'd rather not be in jail, not be dead, etc....

So anyways you're right, not being a slave as it were. There are other choices, but they can be dangerous, even deadly. This is *why* we stay on meds, because we have made a choice. And if you choose to make a different choice, well, God be with you my child etc. but don't expect support for it from those of us who have chosen the medicated path.

While we would love to be med free, at this point in time, that would be a Bad choice for the vast majority of us, and a poor choice for the rest. (IMO)

Here's the deal

Just a word of caution...

The article from psychiatrist.com is...

Mental Illness May Be Damaging to Your Brain.

From the healthyplace.com article...

A lengthy review article by Carrie Bearden PhD et al of the University of Pennsylvania published in Bipolar Disorders cites "findings of persistent neuropsychological deficits" in long-term bipolar patients, even when tested in symptom-free states. The relationship between these deficits and length of illness led the authors to suggest that "episodes of depression and mania may exact damage to learning and memory systems."

and the article from bipolar.about.com is about The "Kindling" Model in Bipolar Disorder.

At this point the 'kindling' theory appears to have some data supporting it but there are some pretty potent confounding factors (ie previously used medications etc). At this point 'kindling' is NOT a widely accepted theory. The researchers themselves (necessarily) treat the results with some caution as should all those that read the studies.

My point? Consumer beware.

There can be a lifetime of difference between 'maybe' and 'beyond reasonable doubt'.

I tried to go med free and got a lot worse. I don't see myself as being a slave to pharmacy or whatever, the simple fact is that I function better with chemical support. It may be a crutch but it is walking that is important to me, not not having a crutch for the sake of it!

Yes. I don't believe there is any certainty as to how any psychiatric medication works or as to the cause of any mental illness. When it comes right down to it there is no proof that any of us are conscious either. I think we're at the point were we have a pretty good idea. If people want to be obstinate and roll the dice it's their brain their futures and their right.

I believe in my case, I have experienced the kindling effect. It took me 38 years to finally get a BP DX. I rode the waves for so many years until they turned into tsunamis.

Now I am so sensitive that I am cycling during the switch from lithium to lamictal, despite the overlap of the weaning and titrating and despite my other meds.

Your post is a bit contradictory. You basically say you have been feeling like shit since going off meds, so why bother taking them. Do you have another plan? Are you enrolled in yoga classes, relaxation therapy, psychotherapy or CBT, taking large doses of fish oil and St. John's Wort?

You can find lots of other websites in which people will support the decision to refuse medications. They are often packed full of scientologists.

Exactly.

My husband has always been in the "anti-med" camp, but he finally was forced to take a good hard look at his life and what his bipolar had done to it...and me...and his kids. It wasn't a pretty picture.

Over the years, the times he ranted most about meds and the pharma companies are when he needed medication the most.

I'm kind of sorry i posted here.

I thought that i would receive support from people that wanted to maybe live med free someday. You know it is possible. You don't have to be a slave to the phameceutical industry for the rest of your life. Granted i understand that some people MAY need meds forever, NOT ME!

I wish you the best as you attempt pill-less existence. I truly hope it works out for you.

Just take our experiences into consideration. Your results may vary, as everyone's do with pretty much everything here. We have hurt ourselves doing things and we can't help but want other people to avoid what we could feasibly have avoided. Nobody should have to go through agony if at all avoided.

My personal experience with being med free for the first time in 7 years? Within 3 months ending up unemployed, truly destitute (we're talking $20 to eat for a month), from $2K savings to $6K in debt, friendless in a strange city, dating an unsupportive farmer who lived 3000 miles away, having an abortion on welfare. I shit you not.

Moved home.

My experience 8 months later when I had finally succumbed to and processed all the shit that happened within that short period of time? Completely cuckoo - self medicating ('cause that's what I do), quitting job I had managed to get, more med go round trying to get back on something that worked, things that worked before going off meds didn't work anymore, cutting ALL my hair off and dying the 1/2" I had white (looked like Eminem - BAD), Outpatient turning to Inpatient after severe suicide idealization. The sucky thing is that once I realized I needed to be back on meds, it took MONTHS to get my brain straight again. Titrating is a bitch. Suffering w/ insanity worse than it ever has been because I tried an "experiment" was ridiculous. If you'd like to read my first post here in midst of loony, here you go good luck getting through it w/o it fucking w/ your mind.

2 cents.

here's a site that isn't full of scientologists but who support non-medicinal, alternative approaches to the treatment of bipolar disorder: www.bpnuthouse.com. they use the invision board like crazyboards, so it is laid out pretty much the same way. their style is a bit different and they have different attitudes regarding treatment.

personally, i'm very pro-integration. i think medication is a part of the solution to a bigger problem. we need therapy, a support system, good nutrition, and good exercise habits/yoga/meditation to get the best out of our treatment.

but that doesn't mean that the evidense doesn't stack up in favor of meds.

i went off of lamictal (my mood stabilizer) last year becaue my clinic (free county clinic) ran out of it. in that period i wanted to conserve lamictal, and since you need double of it on the pill i decided to cut down the lamictal, and then i had none at all, and i stopped the pill so i could cut the lamictal. then i was using the sponge for contraception and got pregnant, and had to have an abortion. in my manic frenzy i also missed a lot of work and almost lost my job. i did end up losing my job later, and i think they picked me to "lay off" because of my record.

bipolar disorder doesn't go away. it gets worse with time. it deteriorates the brain. we have brain imaging scans to know that. you can get into massive trouble with just one episode. why risk that?

what makes a alternative therapy better or worse than a medication one?

go to the www.bpnuthouse.com site. there is a lot of support there for people with your ideas.

also, if jemini is around, and i haven't seen him lately, he's big into alternative treatments and may be able to help...

but i believe in psychiatry and believe it is unhealthy and dangerous to not take meds. that is my disclaimer. it is your choice to do whatever you want, it is your body, but i just need to throw in the disclaimer.

health and happiness!

loon

Archived