Terror after dark

I haven't been around here lately, but I came back because I'm experiencing more than my allotted dosage of anxiety/fear/terror after it gets dark out. Since I live in the northeastern U.S., we're not getting much sunlight these days. It's been especially intense since daylight savings ended a few weeks ago.

I'm not asking for cures or miracles. I just want to hear from people who have similar experiences, how it manifests and how you cope. Thanks.

Oh, and I'm going with the word "terror" to describe how I feel; fear is too weak a word and anxiety's too clinical.

I know what you mean, folder1. I live in the northeast, too, and darkness at 4:30 PM does terrible things for my anxiety level. It doesn't help with depression, either. I've always thought of it as kind of a GAD/Claustrophobia/Depression disorder that pops up every year, especially during the first month of the time change. I usually manage to adjust to it somewhat after the first month. By Christmas, I'm just scared and not horrified.

Something that helps me a little is turning all my lights on when I'm home. It erases the shadows and reminds me that in half the world, it's daylight.

Have you ever tried those lamps they sell for people with Seasonal Affective Disorder? I haven't, but I'm curious about them.

I'm sorry that I can't be much help, but at least you know you're not alone in this. Take care and hang in there.

Archived