Difference between titrating and tapering

[edit by moderator: I moved these posts from elsewhere because they explain stuff pretty well. Note that not even pdocs necessarily use these terms properly, so you might really have been told titrate down when that's not technically accurate. We don't hate you or anything. Some of us are just really anal about vocabulary. -- resonance]

To further clarify the confusion using the word "titration", I'll let y'all know that the word itself specifically refers to the increasing of a dose of medication.

The opposite, which is often a very necessary entity, I like to call tapering.

As far as my experience with quitting Zyprexa, I went from 10 down to 5 for 2 weeks, then down to 2.5 for 2 weeks. Then I stopped, and couldn't sleep at all. So I took 1.25 for 2 weeks. Stopped, again, couldn't sleep at all.

So basically I just didn't sleep for a few days.

[EDIT: A general statement here, this is not directed at anybody --- Just because your doctor says something doesn't mean it's true. In the end, you are the one who is to assume responsibility for yourself.]

That's not really right either. It specifically refers increasing the amount of a substance in solution at a constant rate to reach a desired reaction.

In which case it wouldn't apply in terms of psychiatry.

Reminds me of high school AP Chemistry... when we'd do acid-base phenophthalein indication titrations...

"Quarter drop... quarter drop... quarter drop.... oh shit, now I've got Kool-Aid!"

The best part was how when we got "Kool-Aid" (by adding to much base), we'd "talk" to our titration flasks to convince them to go back to the desired faint pink color. Our instructor found it amusing until she realized that the carbon dioxide from our breath was being converted into carbonic acid, bringing the pH back towards neutral. At that point, she forbade the practice of talking to one's titration. =P

We don't hate you or anything. Some of us are just really anal about vocabulary.

I'm not sure whom you're referring to by using "you", but if you mean me, don't worry since I wasn't offended at all. :) As a fellow (albeit more awkward) writer, I can get equally anal with vocab.

I can also be anal about grammar; comma spices and run on sentences that go on and on and on are my weakness though. ;)

as the german writer herman hesse, herr fous, you can write on and on and on for an entire book in one sentance... just picking on you

You know, he did write that book about Siddharta... =P

The one who grew up in the mango tree groves and was never satisfied with life, seeking enlightenment by sitting alone in the forest and starving himself without any food or even water until he nearly died, he whose parents he didn't appreciate, and he had a good friend of his who was always by his side...

I think the entire book is just one long run-on sentence...

Anyways, back to our discussion on titration and tapering.

We don't hate you or anything. Some of us are just really anal about vocabulary.

I'm not sure whom you're referring to by using "you", but if you mean me, don't worry since I wasn't offended at all. :) As a fellow (albeit more awkward) writer, I can get equally anal with vocab.

I can also be anal about grammar; comma spices and run on sentences that go on and on and on are my weakness though. ;)

Actually I was just referring to future mods pointing people to here. (Since sometimes correcting people when their point isn't about vocab but about issues with meds, posting stuff that doesn't feel relevant to them can come off as unfriendly sometimes.)

Archived