Associate park with depressive thoughts

Angeljasmine

Recently I started taking my walks in a different area. It's in a nice big park, you can walk through many different parts, some of which are pretty scenic, even to the top of this hill which has amazing 360 degree views of the city. But for some reason during my last few walks, coinciding with the time I started walking there, I have very depressive self defeating thoughts while walking. I think my mind associates this park with these thoughts. When I used to walk elsewhere I didn't have those thoughts.

I think it goes back to the first time I walked there, a year or so ago, I remember feeling sad seeing all these happy families, couples, friends, etc walking, playing and enjoying themselves, and me all alone, seeing first hand at what I miss out on in life.

Now I'm pissed off (with myself) because every time I go there now I walk around feel like crap, my mind going over and over my rotten childhood and hopeless life and so on.

Anyone else associate certain things or places with depressive thoughts? Maybe I should stay away from this (very nice) park.

;)

Recently I started taking my walks in a different area. It's in a nice big park, you can walk through many different parts, some of which are pretty scenic, even to the top of this hill which has amazing 360 degree views of the city. But for some reason during my last few walks, coinciding with the time I started walking there, I have very depressive self defeating thoughts while walking. I think my mind associates this park with these thoughts. When I used to walk elsewhere I didn't have those thoughts.

I think it goes back to the first time I walked there, a year or so ago, I remember feeling sad seeing all these happy families, couples, friends, etc walking, playing and enjoying themselves, and me all alone, seeing first hand at what I miss out on in life.

Now I'm pissed off (with myself) because every time I go there now I walk around feel like crap, my mind going over and over my rotten childhood and hopeless life and so on.

Anyone else associate certain things or places with depressive thoughts? Maybe I should stay away from this (very nice) park.

;)

Yes. Stay away from park. Attempt to address feelings & gradually integrate said park back into walking routine.

Or maybe keep going to park to deal w/ these valid (or at least valid in your head) feelings that come up there? It may facilitate not only idenfication of feelings, but working through them? Journal while having the feelings and then try to rationally (I'm laughing on the inside, like saying the word is as easy as obtaining rational thought) work through them? Just an idea.

why do you miss out on these things? your MI issues? it sounds like the immediate way to address the situation is CBT or some kind of journaling, as been suggested. for the longer term, maybe, if you're sad to not have the situatino you see around you, try to change it. have a family or adopt, foster, or be an adult role model to youngers. if you don't have a SO, you may want to branch out a little bit and see if you can meet someone. you don't have to be a hostage to your disorders. i think the therapy would address that aspect as well.

loon

• 2 weeks later...

Archived