CrazyBoards.org

Is this a symptom of depression?

For years I've suffered with this. It's a feeling of unreality and it's horrible. I had a baby three years ago and it got worse. So bad that I question my sanity every day. Needless to say I am very, very depressed. My doctor just started me on Wellbutrin, Lyrica and Lexapro about a month ago, but it hasn't helped, yet.

I am just curious how many people experience this disconnected feeling. I walk around all day like a zombie, like I'm looking in a bubble. It can also be a symptom of anxiety, which I have as well (lucky me).

brooke

One of the ways we can cope with pain is to dissociate. I've always been extremely anxious and dissociative my whole life. For me anxiety and depression go hand-in-hand so it started from the same place. Smoking pot, taking xanax till I blacked-out, diphenhydramine, DXM, all make this a lot worse.

Working with stress-coping strategies, and my AD meds helped a lot. I still have BPD and persistent "unreality", but I fail to view them as problems anymore. I actually enjoy a sense of unreality in some stressful situations. Spend as much time with people as you can and minimize stress factors, that should help.

I have depersonalization which I am assuming is similar. My tdoc thinks it is anxiety related, a coping mechanism. It happens when I am out in public, in crowds and I feel like none of it's real. It's like I am watching a movie. It's a very odd feeling. It's happening less often on Lamictal for some reason.

Thanks for your replies. I thought it was more anxiety related but wanted to know if it could also get worse with depression. I've been a stay at home mom for almost 3 years and I know that has made me severely depressed. For me it's always been the meds that made it go away. I went to therapy for years and that didn't change a thing. I'm convinced it's chemical. I just need to find the right med combo. That and going back to work!

Thanks again,

Brooke

Archived