CrazyBoards.org

Wellbutrin not approved for use in treating

To say it's not approved doesn't mean much. Most drugs used in bp are used off label. Approval is as much about how a drug is marketed as anything else.

right. like a lot of anti-convulsants are used in cocktails to treat bp, yet are not necessarily "approved" for such use. A lot of times when you look up a med, you will see a subtitle called "off-label uses" or something like that. It doesn't mean that there is anything wrong, just that it is not an FDA approved way to use the drug... yet.

I'm BP. I take Wellbutrin. 'Course it seems to be more for attention than anything else... and off we go through infinite layers of Off Label-ness.

oh, yeah... forgot to mention that... I'm BP (among other things) and take Wellbutrin (also among other things), as well....

Almost every drug on the market has multiple uses. The drug companies however, must choose how many uses they are willing to spend money on trials in order to get formal FDA approval. So, it is not uncommon for a drug to have scientifically recognized uses which have not been officially authorized by the FDA.

Trust your pdoc.

On the other hand, that web site is quite whacko. Beware people who want to give you psychiatric drug advice combined with critiques of Aldous Huxley's Brave New World.

a.m.

I guess you can't believe everything you read online.

Probably also quite common for meds to be used for different things. Like I got seroquel, which is an antipsychotic, but I don't have psychosis, I was prescribed it as a sedative and to help me sleep.

WB is for depression but it's also given to bipolars.

And so on....

WB is also a stop smoking medication! (called Zyban)

strange

it is true that wellbutrin is not FDA "approved" for treatment of bp. that would mean the long application process and trials and so on.

what a lot of drug companies do and get away with is this ''off lable useage" stuff, where pdocs know a particular drug has certain effects, and will RX accordingly.

they know that wb and paxil are the least likely of depression drugs to cause upward swings, so they RX them to bp people the most.

i take wb too. the only time i've had an upswing was when i wasn't taking my lamictal (my clinic ran out of it).

but i wouldn't worry about official recognition.

I'm BP and have tried WEllbutrin twice, both with didfferndt med combos and both gave me really bad dysphoric mania. I am on 20 mg. of Prozac as my pdoc thinks this is an AD that is least likely to bring on the mania. It has knocked out my depression and given me more motivation and ability to get things done. YMMV>

Archived