PTSD and "Movie Images"

it is like a movie, or slide show, that plays itself in my head and even takes me to the scene-

i see all the evidense, all the clues i could have/should have/would have seen leading up to my dad's suicide. if i could have stopped it, if i would have picked up on those clues!

now i'm haunted with this movie that playes itself over and over and over again, relentlessly. it went away for a little while on topamax (which is actually undergoing trials to treat ptsd), but is back in full force.

do you share this experience?

oh, btw- some researches suggest that ptsd is on the dissociative disorders specturm- here's a link:

http://www.survivors-treehouse.net/Dissoci...20Spectrum.html

it is that feeling that takes you there, that fog and numbness.

I thought it was pretty much accepted that PTSD had a major dissociative component.

In any event, it'd make a lot of sense, since dissociation could the brain's defense mechanism to escape unwanted memories.

Although the following is not a case of clinical PTSD --- my mother claims to have no recollections of her constant raging when I was growing up. Or should I say, when we were growing up. It could just be her pathological lying, but anyways...

I don't formally have a PTSD dx. I do the same thing only I have more than one movie in my collection.

It sucks. I know how you feel. I keep playing the story of my life over and over again trying desperately to figure out what went wrong.

On a personal note, loon, and I mean absolutely no offense. I obsess over suicide and I have a daughter. Reading your posts has given me some perspective I wouldn't otherwise have. My desire to live is stronger. So I thank you. And you shouldn't blame yourself.

Ok. Sorry to go off topic.

On a personal note, loon, and I mean absolutely no offense. I obsess over suicide and I have a daughter. Reading your posts has given me some perspective I wouldn't otherwise have. My desire to live is stronger. So I thank you. And you shouldn't blame yourself.

Ok. Sorry to go off topic.

replies like this let me know that what i have to say is an important way to reach out to others. thank you for your encouragement.

onwards and upwards to our topic at hand!

• 3 months later...

mine came about from a car wreck, and i can see it over and over as it happened. i was between 2 18 wheelers, and one changed lanes into me. started pulling me up under the truck before i got loose.

and i still see it like im watching a movie. it was 10 years ago next year, and i HATE driving now. i rarely leave the house, and i wont go on the freeway unless i have to.

i used to love driving, i was a car guy, had sports cars and all that. vettes, trans am, camaro, mustang, porsche, i went thru em all ;) .

no more

• 7 months later...

I don't currently have a good source to point you to, but I know lots of people who have been using something called NLP--neurolinguistic programming--to help gain mastery over these 'movie' or 'slide show' type flashbacks.

If you're interested, I highly suggest pursuing it with someone who knows what they're doing (ie qualified therapist or counselor who also has training in NLP).

*plunks down two cents*

Peace,

Wooster

yes

i have "flashbacks" that are like my mind is taken over by a movie. the movie overtakes my reality and it is all that i see. thankfully, for me, this is a rare happens. but it is a normal part of ptsd.

you may want to look into EMDR or somatic experiencing therapy. both have helped people i know, both are different approaches and depending upon your personality one may work while the other may be horrid.

;)

i get the movie images - full color, but no sound. thats's how i know i'm in a flashback - when i'm just "remembering" something, i remember sound, too, like relevant conversations.

my ptsd is so much of who i am that i don't know what life woud be like without these "movies".

it began when my father tried to shoot us at close range when i was four or five. i see that movie over and over. or sometimes i just hear "soundtracks" to bad events - like the aforementioned, sometimes i don't see anything but i can't stop hearing gunshots.

i don't think ptsd is on the dissociative spectrum, although lots of pros would disagree.

you can have a bad thing happen, and forever have flashbacks.

you can have a bad thing happen, and process it like some sort of normal person (who the hell is that anyway?)

you can have a bad thing happen, and dissociate from the event so you don't have to deal at all (til much later, if at all).

you can have a bad thing happen, and dissociate and then later get flashbacks that probably don't make sense.

well thats my two cents.

I have these all the time lately. I get full sound and video with mine but I can be doing something else at the same time. Like washing a dish and watching a film. When I disasociate then all activity stops until the credits roll (to keep up the analogy). This is a bad time of year for me so the movies are getting pulled off the shelf almost daily but I know in a few months that will subside.

I feel for anybody else who struggles with this.

Archived