CrazyBoards.org

Topamax crazymeds info

Guest Guest

It mentions in the crazymeds site that you may have to quit drinking coffee when your on Topamax??? Why is this?

It mentions in the crazymeds site that you may have to quit drinking coffee when your on Topamax??? Why is this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just realized you were talking about coffee and not alcohol. Sorry about that.

From what I hear, it can enhance the effects of caffeine to an extent that is not all fun (too fast heart rate, panic).

By "hear" I mean on the old board.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It can also give you the  'tingles', as I call them...which is a numb feeling, like your fingers, hands, feet, or even at times, face...has fallen asleep...which happens every once in a while. I still drink coffee on top of my topamax, but I have to stop every once in a while, because out of nowhere I'll sit down for my morning cup and after a few sips, I'll feel like Ive drank a pot of coffee (fast heartbeat, shakes) then Ive got the tingles real bad. that will last for a few days, sometimes a week, so I have to go without...then I can go back to having my morning coffee again...but everyone is different. Id ask your doctor...I think it all depends on how much topamax your on too.

Guest Guest

Thanks guys :-)

I'll be sure to watch out for this coffee interaction.  Maybe its a good thing not having too much caffine though and I do love tea anyway.. lol

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Paige Plunkett

Hey, I complained to my pdoc about my anxiety and inability to sleep at night, trying to get some ambien or something, but all he said was to quit drinking coffee and cokes.  I will drink 2 cups of coffee and 4 or 5 diet cokes a day.  That's about 100mg/day of caffeine.  It takes 100 hours for your body to metabolize that kind of caffeine. So you can have like 1000mg in your system at one time.  But, the kind found in tea only takes 9 hours to metabolize.  It really did help.  But i'm still going to change pdocs because it's not right to noot have any input in my meds, he even decreased my adderall without telling me.

But that's a fairly high dose of topamax right? I take only 75 mgs, twice a day FOR anxiety, still drink coffee, and have no problems. I drink only one double latte, and rarely finish it.

The "tingles" go away too. 

Breeze

But that's a fairly high dose of topamax right? I take only 75 mgs, twice a day FOR anxiety, still drink coffee, and have no problems. I drink only one double latte, and rarely finish it.

The "tingles" go away too.

I'm on a pretty high dose of topamax - 400 mg a day...  And I'm still able to enjoy my coffee...  When I was first taking it, I avoided it, but now that I've been on it for a while, I'm not experiencing any problems with the coffee - either the taste of it or the buzz. ;)

So, there is some hope...  (And I do take Klonopin for anxiety...  The coffee hasn't made more of a problem for me on that front either...)

Hmmm interesting...I don't know if it is related. But, I was very very unhappy, (well still am) and I was on a coffee ice cream kick. I mean eating a gallon in about 36 hours. And with my 50mg of topamax at the time, I was panicing like crazy. Ending up getting Klonopin. Decided I was going to balloon weight wise so quit buying it for a bit. And the panic attacks went away. I also have slowed down crying and such but I'm still very unhappy.

Hmmm...curiouser and curiouser.

amers

It is, very much so.

But, I was very very unhappy, (well still am) and I was on a coffee ice cream kick. I mean eating a gallon in about 36 hours. And with my 50mg of topamax at the time, I was panicing like crazy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Decided I was going to balloon weight wise so quit buying it for a bit. And the panic attacks went away. I also have slowed down crying and such but I'm still very unhappy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No more caffeine, no more panic.

Archived