CrazyBoards.org

The holidays

I'm really stressed about the holidays. All of the food completely stresses me out.

so I'm just curious how other people are going to cope this holiday season?

Shana

i'm planning on cooking and baking a lot, because i find that calming, reading as many books as i can, so i can escape into other worlds, and listening to music that isn't holiday....

hopefully i can wear headphones any time i leave the house and wear blinders so i can't see the holiday shit.

how about you?

abifae

I may not even have a christmas, my family's all split up. IFFF I get invited somewhere I may consider it. I just want a christmas with my kids, their kids and me but that's not going to happen. Distance and a family rift is keeping us all apart. Parents I rarely see, sister probly has own plans with her family.

Unless I get invited somewhere I'll be spending it alone. Stuff it. I'm just going to have christmas with my virtual Sims. LOL. Sad but true.

I hate christmas. It makes me sad and want to cry cos it rubs in all ofwhat's wrong in my life, and my loneliness, lack of proper family, etc. A prime time for suicidal thoughts taking over.

You can't have f*cking christmas on your own.

I don't know. I feel worried about it too. I could feel scared and eat very little or I could just as easily lose control, eat too much and throw up a lot.

It may be that over christmas I both eat and feel ok. If that happens though, no doubt when I get back to universityand notice all the weight I've gained, I will hate myself and I will go back to my old ways. It's all rather depressing. I'm trying not to think about it.

i abhor the stupid holiday. not even my religion. it was never pleasant growing up. people still act like assholes over it. it is not even a religious holiday anymore. it's a weird secular consumeristic thing.

if normal-ish, sane sorts of people freak out and have fist fights in stores over toys and every newspaper in america has "how to cope with the holidays" articles, what chance do we have? ;)

i just try really hard to ignore the whole thing. the hard part is staying fully distracted when not at home (at work, while shopping...)

the only good thing about it is that all the cooking adn baking supplies go on sale :)

abifae

i'm with abi- all the stupid crap that goes along wthi x-mas is stupid crap, especially the music in the stores and the hideous inflatable lawn decorations. it isn't even my holiday- i celebrate yule, a much quieter event.

i know i won't overeat because i'm a vegetarian, and we usually have meat dishes (if we cook at home). however, this year my g'rents want to go to an all-you-can-eat place, so i'm sure there will be the temptation to stuff myself. which is ok, i give myself permission, but it is so easy to stuff myself because i'm not used to huge meals. i don't want to feel uncomfortably full either.

no turkey for me, and pass on that ham too. and the bacon/ham in the green beans? i'll pass on that too. in fact, pass me teh mashed potatoes. those seem like a safe option ;)

loon

Oh I just realised this is in the eating disorders topic. How will we cope with food? Well I aint going to no work xmas party, so that's already solved. Unsure at this stage if I've been invited anywhere. If it's just me, hell I dunno, I'm not going to make xmas dinner just for myself. Maybe I'll gorge on chocolates that I've bought for myself and not want any proper food.

It's summer here at christmas by the way. Maybe I'll dilute wine with juice and lie in the sun and drink that all day. Blots out christmas day.

I'm a vegetarian, which gets me off the hook with a lot of the food a lot of the time. ;) Plus, I'm spending Thanksgiving alone. I'm ordering a pizza tomorrow.

Other than that.... there are holiday foods that I really love. So usually I just stick to those, but I let myself have them because they're fairly "rare" occurances. My mom's apple pie. Creamed corn. etc.

And, of course.... try to keep the other stuff in check. I find that for me, at least, the food "stuff" is a lot worse when I have other issues going on, too. That makes sense, I guess. So I try to get enough sleep and enough alone time and I let myself hide when I need to.

Holidays used to be stressful for me. As a kid it meant a 3 1/2 hour drive to grandmas to be around people my parents didn't like....drunken brawls between relatives...getting yelled at for getting in to stuff but there was nothing for us poor kids to do....having to be around my child molester grandfather....oh joy.

But since I have been several states away from most relatives, it got better. Then I decided that it was my job to make the holidays good for my sons. Then my dad moved out of state after divorcing wife #3 (who was a wench). NOW holidays are AWESOME! Me and my hubby and my boys chilling at home with nobody acting like a jerk or questioning my every move or trying to turn off my football game ("Do we HAVE to have that on?" - well yeah bitch...we do). Sometimes we even do the holidays in our jammies now.

I was telling my son that it will be his job to start his own traditions for his family when he has one. And to make sure they have fun.

I'm a vegetarian but so is the rest of my family so there's no escape if I'm feeling a bit anaminded (which I feel now). In fact, we're thinking of having a vegan Christmas (or rather winter festival as we're not religious) so everything will be even more healthy and low fat. However, if my ED cintinues to behave the way it is doing now I shall feel bad for eating anything at all. We also have a large stash of delicious vegan chocolates from the Dr Hadwen Trust (which I thoroughly recommend) which means further trouble. A big problem for me is agreeing to eat a little, realising how hungry I actually am and eating more than I'm confortable with. That usually results in having to throw up. I wish I could feel normal about food. The amount I'm comfortable with eating is far too small. At the moment my BP seems under control but my ED is getting worse.

Archived