CrazyBoards.org

Want to stop SSRIs

Guest teek30

Guest teek30

How often do you all think about stopping your medication, saying to yourself you could live without them? I did it once, then came back-which was depressing in itself. I feel like I have been on a roller coaster. Changing meds, adding Wellbutrin, etc to find what I think is 'perfect' for me. Paxil is the most effective for me. its sedating abilities helps with my anxiety. Problem is I expierence the most sexual side effects from it. I am going to try taking just 10-15 mgs and see if it still works with less side effects but if not I may try and stop all together. This will involve an attempt to drink less caffenine and alcohol-two things not contributing (I am sure) very well to mental health. Sorry this is kinda long, my posts are usually short. Any thoughts on anything I just said?

Thanks

Biggest mistake I made was going off paxil to try a few "others". Now Im going back on it, it is the only one that seems to work on my brain. At this point I will accept I am probably a lifer to paxil or may have to add something later, but I wont be going off again to experiment. It sucked ass.

I can tell you for me the sexual effects eventually pass. Well, they did the first time anyway.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Paxil has worked so well for me that I question why I would want to stop taking it. Honestly, I've never been able to cope with my social phobia so well. If it works for life, it wouldn't bother me to take a pill each night.

I know how you feel about Paxil and sexual side effects. The first time I took Paxil, I just couldn't orgasm. Period. Nothing worked. I got interested, but couldn't get anywhere with it! After starting and stopping a few times (under pdoc's orders), it got to the point where nothing could even get me interested. I even felt dirty having sex- and normally I'd be all about sex!

Now, I'm weaning off of the Paxil again. After so many starts and stops, even Paxil doesn't seem to work anymore. So be careful with that possibility!

The sexual side effects are major. I mean, depressed people need sex to help heal, right?!

Loon, didn't you just restart the paxil not long ago? Are you sure its not working, or just not good enough this time...

I pray it works again for me (feels like it is kicking in) and if I ever say I want off my hubby has orders to tie me up and force me to take it.

Of course I am in my pms (feels like pmdd) week, so I spent an hour convincing myself nothing would work for me and I was hopeless this morning. Ugh. Luckily I looked at the date.

Teek,

If you've already done the go off and then back on in a few months, it's probably not realistic to think that you can go off the ADs safely until you've been stable and in remission for a long time, as in at least two to five years.

You said you'd tried Wellbutrin; is that with the Paxil? If not, then you might want to try that combo since Wellbutrin can offset the sexual side effects of the SSRIs.

I feel pretty adamant about not going off the ADs unless you do it with the doc's advice, especially if you have recurrent depression. It's been my experience that the episodes become much nastier and harder to treat over time. I don't want to go back there. Nope. Not me. Doing just fine with my little pills, thank you very much.

Greeny

Archived