CrazyBoards.org

I don't wanna keel over - working out on AddXR

Hi, I've been taking Adderall XR for a little over a year now... I have increased dosage slowly over the past year to my current 30 mg once per day, and in terms of ADD - damn, does it work. In this past year I've pretty much kicked my career into overdrive because I can finally work ( I'm a freelance graphic artist) and I have so much work I really don't have time to do any thing else.. healthy or unhealthy. I really need to start working out again, tho, hence my question.

I am curious if anyone on this board has experienced any adverse effects working out on Adderall XR, and I'd love to hear from anyone who has had great results. I am a bit apprehensive in getting back to working out because, specifically, I wonder if Adderall is dangerous to the heart. I sometimes have a strange feeling in the region of my heart, not necessarily palpitations but more of a heaviness in that specific region. I don't know if this is psychosomatic on my part or not, but hey, bottom line - Adderall is speed, and its propensity for cardiac anomalies seems to be par for the couse.

I think the no-brainer would be to get a heart check-up before starting a workout regimen ( I plan to do this anyhow, considering my age bracket - late 30's) so I anticipate that sage advice in advance. I would like to hear specifically from anyone who might have felt the same foreboding or strange cardiac sensations before, during, or after a workout while taking this med. I also am in a bit of an added quandary because my chosen form of excercise - jiu jitsu, boxing and other martial arts - don't lend themselves to pacing as much as solo sports - such as jogging - that I've tried. I loathe hamster-on-a-wheel machines, meatheads in the dumbbell line, and running in circles, so that rules out most traditional gym activities; only the aforementioned preferred physical activities spark the grey matter - but I digress.

So anyone working out on Adderall XR - please chime in.

(I should also mention - I am taking Effexor XR, 75 mg per day, Wellbutrin SR 75 mg per day, and Risperdal - don't recall the dosage right now, but also pretty low - and some might argue, sub-therapeutic, but hey, it's a cocktail that's workin'. I have taken all these meds previously and independently of one another on previous med-go-round trips, and felt no cardiac weirdness from any with the exception of Risperdal, which might have been a little weird too - but the dosage then and now was pretty minimal so I've tended to discount that..

Lastly, I'm not a total newbie to this board, I've posted a couple of times previously under a name I was pretty sure was the same to this one, but it has been a fairly long time since I visited this esteemed board and I had forgotten my handle and password so I re-registered - please, no welcome back parties. And finally, sorry to be so long-winded, thanx for your time.)

• 1 month later...

Well, if you keel over and croak, don't come running to me, but....

I've been working out quite a bit for, I guess, maybe close to two years while taking generic version of Adderall. No big problems. Important to drink lots of water, work up slowly to things, etc. I think a heaviness in the heart probably isn't cardiac arrhythmia but some sort of tension. Or at least I had feelings like that in the dificult time after my mother's death.

I've been doing a lot of bicycling. Over 2,000 miles last year. Ok, maybe that's not a lot. Some people in the same club do 7 or 8 times as much. I am prone to heart arrhythmias and take drugs to prevent them. I find the exercise is negatively correlated with some of the odd heart things I've had lately. They seem more a result of a period of extended stress, maybe. No connection I can see with exercise.

Hi, I've been taking Adderall XR for a little over a year now... I have increased dosage slowly over the past year to my current 30 mg once per day, and in terms of ADD - damn, does it work. In this past year I've pretty much kicked my career into overdrive because I can finally work ( I'm a freelance graphic artist) and I have so much work I really don't have time to do any thing else.. healthy or unhealthy. I really need to start working out again, tho, hence my question.

I am curious if anyone on this board has experienced any adverse effects working out on Adderall XR, and I'd love to hear from anyone who has had great results. I am a bit apprehensive in getting back to working out because, specifically, I wonder if Adderall is dangerous to the heart. I sometimes have a strange feeling in the region of my heart, not necessarily palpitations but more of a heaviness in that specific region. I don't know if this is psychosomatic on my part or not, but hey, bottom line - Adderall is speed, and its propensity for cardiac anomalies seems to be par for the couse.

I think the no-brainer would be to get a heart check-up before starting a workout regimen ( I plan to do this anyhow, considering my age bracket - late 30's) so I anticipate that sage advice in advance. I would like to hear specifically from anyone who might have felt the same foreboding or strange cardiac sensations before, during, or after a workout while taking this med. I also am in a bit of an added quandary because my chosen form of excercise - jiu jitsu, boxing and other martial arts - don't lend themselves to pacing as much as solo sports - such as jogging - that I've tried. I loathe hamster-on-a-wheel machines, meatheads in the dumbbell line, and running in circles, so that rules out most traditional gym activities; only the aforementioned preferred physical activities spark the grey matter - but I digress.

So anyone working out on Adderall XR - please chime in.

(I should also mention - I am taking Effexor XR, 75 mg per day, Wellbutrin SR 75 mg per day, and Risperdal - don't recall the dosage right now, but also pretty low - and some might argue, sub-therapeutic, but hey, it's a cocktail that's workin'. I have taken all these meds previously and independently of one another on previous med-go-round trips, and felt no cardiac weirdness from any with the exception of Risperdal, which might have been a little weird too - but the dosage then and now was pretty minimal so I've tended to discount that..

Lastly, I'm not a total newbie to this board, I've posted a couple of times previously under a name I was pretty sure was the same to this one, but it has been a fairly long time since I visited this esteemed board and I had forgotten my handle and password so I re-registered - please, no welcome back parties. And finally, sorry to be so long-winded, thanx for your time.)

I was taking Adderall for some months as an adjunct to 450 mg of Wellbutrin, and although I'm no athlete, I didn't notice any ill effects when exercising, other than a dryer than usual mouth, which happened whether I was exercising or not. I'm also seriously overweight so although I get my heart rate up and start breathing faster than someone in good shape, I still push my heart and lungs quite a bit. I'm in my late forties.

I think if you just pay attention to your body you'll be fine - if you start feeling light-headed, take a break, don't get your heart and breathing rates to the point where you think you're going to pass out from over-exertion, etc.

Back when I actually exercised, I had slightly more elevated heart rate with exertion on a combination of

Adderall and Wellbutrin.

Last summer, I usually skipped the Adderall (and sometimes the Norpramin) until afternoon, because the

combination of heavy yardwork (digging small pits, clearing brush, etc.) with temperatures in the 90s along

with humidity in the 80-100% range just made the heat injury risk too high.

But for people who don't do insane stuff like that, there shouldn't be much trouble. Just remember to have

your heart checked out first and make a point to stay hydrated (everyone should, you just have a couple

percent more incentive)

Archived