Asking for Accommodations at Work

hiya-

i need to tell my boss, who does not know i'm on disability, that i need a weekday off every week, the same day guaranteed, so i can make appointments on that day, as well as working no more than 22 hrs/week (due to SSA's income caps for SGA).

how should i go about asking for my accomodatinos? i want to get an idea of it by monday so i can let her know what i need.

thanks

Loon, do you have enough of a feel for your new boss to have an idea how he might react to the truth?

My boss knows everything and if I am ever well enough to return to work, I know I would be given every possible accommodation.

There is less of a stigma towards anxiety disorders. This I know because originally everyone thought I had GAD. no one thought that was a big deal. If you want to keep the BP to yourself, you could say that you have an anxiety disorder, that you have overworked yourself in the past and it resulted in a severe stress-related breakdown and you had to go on disability. Then tell him you have partial disability and have therapy to control the anxiety and can only work x # of hours per week as a result.

I don't know, sometimes a little white lie here and there can make life a little more bearable.

Dee

so- i had a stress-related melt-down at my last job, and right now my dr. only wants me to work no more than 20 hours per week. i need one day off per workweek, guaranteed on the same day every week, so i can go to therapy for my disorder? sound good?

sensation- no thread about my new job. here's the lowdown- i have a job at a gas station that pays $7/hr. i need to have them let me have off one day guaranteed per week day to schedule pdoc and tdoc appointments, and i can only work about 20 hours a week so i don't make over SSA's cap for earnings to get to keep my benefits and not have it count towards my trial work period.

i just got this job. this will be my 3rd day. you haven't missed much!

my roommate told his boss pretty straight up he needed to be able to request days off for doc visits to keep his meds adjusted and his boss was cool with it.

i've told my boss i'm autistic and if i get too out of it to work, i need to know i can call in. she says as long as it isn't frequent, and if it will be to request a week off the schedule altogether and she can accommodate (our job is one of those you're screwed if anyone calls in, so this is a very justified request). she's never had an issue when i've said i really need an extra day off next week.

in fact, in my experience, i've rarely had a manager get upset that i'm nuts and need extra days here and there, and the roommate has had good luck as well (he needs the every three weeks or so for pdoc visits too).

so it depends on what you are comfy with. some bosses would rather just know you're nuts and need your meds; i'm sure some would rather not know any details but be willing to accommodate you; some are probably asses who need lied to if you can manage it.

that was probably entirely unhelpful :/

abifae

Loon,

I'd lie - pure and simple. Listen, seriously, I've worked in Human Resources in the past and I will tell you that while they can't fire you for asking for medical accomodations they can find a zillion other "reasons" to do so. I hate to suggest that because it's ludicrous that anyone has to "hide in the closet" but mental health issues are not well understood and, frankly, in this day and age there is usually "someone" else out there that doesn't have these kinds of problems.

School is an excellent idea or another illness that can be explained but doesn't have the stigma of MI.

Take care~

DMF

i haven't disclosed to my boss yet, but i found out that she has a bipolar son. he's on meds and sees the pdoc too. i'm wondering if this will make a difference. i think i'm going to give it a go. if i get fired, then there are other gas stations to work at.

the boss we have right now is a temporary boss. she's just with us until our real boss comes back from some training. our real boss will be in today, so i think i'm going to be brave and just tell her i need to go to my appointments and keep my hours down.

one of my coworkers got fired from a different gas station job and had to go to the loony bin for a few days because she had a panic attack at work and started throwing stuff at her boss ;)

i've never thrown anything at any boss, and my customers are protected from me by bullet proof glass... :)

i've had mixed reactions disclosing and not disclosing to employers. one experience was very good- they let me have off the week i was in the nut house and the next week for recovery- paid. several other places knew but i never asked for accomidatinos and they never bothered me about anything. one of the last places i worked at actually made up reasons to fire me for being bipolar (and i'm in the middle of a lawsuit with them over it right now, along with some perm. partial disability money).

i've had it swing both ways. i think this should be ok, as i said, because her own son is bp and because i can always work at a different gas station (there are enough of them in my area) if they find reasons to fire me from this one.

loon

I still don't understand why they need to know all your business. It could backfire being so open, as they can use this against you when things get messy. There are other gas stations but how long did it take to get this gig. I just want you to be protected. By them having a son with BP, she may think well I don't want to deal with this at work too. Just beinghonest..

i decided to go for it. she was totally cool about it- i only told her that i'm on disability and the rules say i can't make more than 620/month, which equals about 22 hrs/week, and i need a guaranteed day off. she said sure, not a problem, and was fine with it.

at least for now, it seems like the coast is clear. i hope it stays that way.

my drawer was really close to on tonight, even though i am the world's worst cashier. i can't remember how to do half the functions on the register and need to be helped all the time. i'm more worried about being fired for that than for my disability actually! i guess i need more adderall. ;)

yeah, especially since i'm finding it boring and hard enough to learn this company's weird cash register system and don't want to have to learn another one ;)

they were sweet about it...almost too sweet? am i being paranoid? is this paranoia?

LF-

thanks for the encouragement. it seems like i'm the biggest loser on the planet with that register. it is driving me insane. or, worse than i already am :)

i work again tomorrow from 3-11, but with someone i haven't worked with yet, so hopefully she won't treat me like i'm a dumbass and will answer my questions without looking at me funny (after i've asked the same question 10 times).

my pdoc also bumped up my adderall today, so maybe that will help with my focus and blocking out all of the other stimulation going on so i can actually work the register. but i was only $5 off and i rang thousands of dollars the other day, so i think that's pretty darn good. even if i made register mistakes, i didn't make money mistakes.

i've been open about the bipolar disorder and the ADD to a limited extent. i'll probably blurt it out one of these days if my adderall doesn't kick in and my coworkers won't turn the radio off. "i have fucking add and if you don't turn off that radio, i'm going to throw this cash drawer at you!" and get hauled off to the psych ward ;)

Archived