What is Your Highest Education Level/Desired Level

i don't know if my title explains what i'm asking really. i want to know what your education level is that you have right now, and if you plan or planned to go on to get a different degree but either could or couldn't based on what factors, and if you are fine with this choice or would do it differently.

i have a BA in international economics and management. i toyed with going right into an MBA/ International MBA or Econ grad school right out of college, but decided that without real work experience i really had no idea what i was doing, and i didn't want to waste money not knowing what i was doing.

i ended up passing up a gov job as a junior economist to go into tech, where i spent 6 years (9 counting college work).

i decided i wanted to become a nurse practitioner with a doctoral degree. there is a good program for non-bioscience majors at a local university. however, my student loans are in such a condition that i can't go to school until i fix them. so right now i'm just pumping money into them to get them up to date.

i'll go back to school for my nursing doctorate when i have the student loan capacity to do so, and i hope my mental health will cooperate. that is probably more vital than the money- being able to actually handle grad school. but i handled college being a nutcase, so i'm optimistic about grad school.

and who knows what the SSA rules for THAT are!!! i guess i'll cross that bridge if and when i come to it...

loon

Good luck with the nurse practitioner doctorate Loon! I hope you get your student loans to a desireable level ;)

I have an MA (Hons)in International Relations and German and an M Phil in Political Science for which I graduated last week.

There are two educational routes that I would like to pursue:

Either:

A conversion diploma for non-psychology graduates with the Open University then a doctorate in Clinical Psychology.

Or:

There is a UK university which offers a training programme to become a Mental Health Practitioner and do a PG Dip in Mental Health Studies - I will be applying and this is me preferred option but I will have the Open University as a fall-back

yay for being studious!

blackbird x

I graduated from HS with a 4.6 GPA. (weighted course load, Honors & AP)

Also graduated in the top 10% of HS students in the nation.

I have no aspirations for uni.

I have the equivalent of a BS in Telecommunications Technology.

I will probably never go back to work in that field.

I will probably never go back to work.

I suck.

BA in Communications. I've toyed with the idea of a MA in Business (way different than an MBA) over the years, but single parenthood, a full-timej job, and mental illness (just to name a few) have curtailed those plans. I could probably handle college and one, maybe two, of those things at the same time (I did the BA and single parenthood at the same time), but not all of them.

Kiddo just turned 18 and will graduate from HS next spring... so maybe someday.

blackbird- congrats! that's a lot of school! i don't think i have the patience or the mental health (or the loans, lol) to pull that off!!!

maddy- resonance is right in that you aren't confined to one path. you know where you don't want to go, the questions is, where do you want to go? you might not know yet, and that's alright. i don't think everyone is born knowing what they want to be or do. i know right now i have ssdi and work at a gas station with my degree. that's not exactly where i want to be! i also ended up in tech with a business degree. not where i envisioned myself either. you can go anywhere- but you already know that.

sunshine- you'll be able to get your BA too. there are programs, like at my college, that are for "working adults" who are going back to school and need to go on the weekends or evenings. i went to some of those classes as prereqs for my nursing degree, and they're really nice. pick a good program and you'll be happy with it. communications is one of those fields you can do so much with. i toyed with majoring in it too.

BA in English.

Taught school for 10 yrs. Cracled up due to stress on the job and due to being hated for being gay by the administration, who also blackballed me and made certain that I never taught again, even though I had new jobs in the palm of my hand, and then they mysteriously were given to someone else at the last moment. Like when I was a long term sub for 5 mos... everybody loved me.... thought it was in the bag. Then, bingo! They hired a complete newcomer. I know it is because the old redneck principal outed me. This was in 1987.

MA in Human Services Administration.

Program Coordinator at a residential treatment facility for sexually abused girls for 3 yrs. Cracked up from stress and asshole boss.

Certificate in Technical Writing.

Worked as editor/writer for less than a year. Cracked up due to stresss on the job and asshole 75 yr old homophobic, misogynist boss.

I should add that I certainly don't want any more academic education. I wouldn't mind learning practical skills, like how to make a million bucks in real estate or something like that, but no more academia for me. 6 yrs of college plus 2 yrs tech writing = 8 years college. I'm good at academics, but they don't serve me well in the real world post graduation. With all those years, I could been a friggin doctor or lawyer. Ha. I could be rich right now if I had only studied the RIGHT things.

BA in English also. Was sick of it by the end, and never really got anywhere professionally due to it...I've yet to have a job that requires more than a high school diploma. I know there are people here who are idealistic and are happy about studying the humanities, but I have to say that nearly 12 years after getting my bachelor's, if I could go back in time, I wouldn't have majored in English.

Currently working on an MS in accounting to rectify the unhappy job situation.

Hopefully the English degree will at least help me stand out a little bit.

the further out of college i am, the less people care about what i majored in. they're looking at my work experience. sometimes in tech interviews i get questioned about my major and why i went into tech, but once i explain it they get it.

libby- there is so much disgusting prejudice in the world, it is enough to make you crack on its own, not to mention job stress. you didn't pick easy jobs. i was a technical writer as a contractor and got to learn a lot of cool things about different programs i could use, but it was only cool as a contract gig. doing it as a career wouldn't have paid the bills. kinda like ssdi doesn't pay the bills now, nor does working at a gas station wtih my BA.

english majors- humanities majors are respected, especially if you have work experience in a different field. in my experience, as i said, having your degree gets your foot in the door. once you're in it, then it's up to you.

and english majors can correct my useage of it's and its. i'm never sure when to use what. ;)

BFA in 3 dimensional studio art (ceramics) all i managed with it is two different community college tech assistant jobs but at least those let me fire lots of my own work on the schools dime!

I started out attempting a BS in Biochemisty but got hung up with it about 80% completed by the math requirements ( they don't call it Sadistics for nothing! ) All this does is let me impress the occasional doc with my knowledge of things biological, some are seriously threatened by it The rare one is truly happy that they don't have to use the total moron explaination, these tend to be younger.

I suppose i could try to finish out with a BS in Biology but with my health issues now i don't think its possible as of yet. only time will tell at this point...

Ray

ah ha libby- the mystery is solved! it's = it is and its=possessive. i was using them the other way around, thinking that because of the ' that it would equal possessive.

see, english majors, you have it up on me!

ray- i failed sadistics the first time i took it and got a b the second time. it is a weird subject. i thought calc was easier.

at least you're using your degree, unlike the rest of us, who ended up in totally different fields! it is really true what they told me in school, it doesn't matter what your major is because you won't end up doing that anyway.

any future plans to be a biologist?

Well Loon, I wouldn't mind trying to do biological illustration but since i require dialysis 3 times a week for 3.5 hours a session (i've been thinking of it as a part time job) i'm forced to put any thought of employment of any kind on the back burner while i gain more experience with this new life paradigm that i'm shackled to!

that about says it all.

Ray

• 1 month later...

Although the following two degrees are economically useless, I'll bandy them about anyways:

*BS in Molecular/Cell Biology

*BA in German/German Language

Then I took what will have been 3 years off (2 spent at work). Interestingly, the below probably wouldn't be applicable had it not been for Zyprexa. If I'd never touched Zyprexa, I'd be living in California and making $50-some thousand right now.

I'm now applying for my MS/MSE/MEM/MEng/EngD/MSIE (depending on the institution) in Industrial Engineering. Okay, how about we call it just a Master's in Industrial Engineering. ;)

(Note: Industrial Engineering is pretty much the engineering of any process. A closely related field is Systems Engineering, and IEs/SEs also work closely with computer programmers. Most other engineers disdain us as not a "true" form of engineering. Not that I really needed the title "engineer", I just happen to like the field. I was inspired to get the degree when I realized I was spending more time being a pain in the ass to my various bosses of yore since they weren't doing things efficiently enough, rather than doing the biology-related benchwork I was supposed to be doing. </rant>)

• 3 weeks later...

I have a highschool degree. In college. Trying to earn a BA and a BS. BA in Psychology, BS Chem/bio/premed whatever I need to learn enough to take the MCAT. I want to be an MD. I know I can do it.. it just might take me longer than most people. Just because now that my mental health is somewhat stable... (hah.. ican't believe i said stable and my mental health in the same sentence.)... my physical health seems to be in the way now... poo on it.

Two years of college. I was going for a marine bology degree, then I crashed and burned. Ended up in the hospital, and it tooks months... years, really, to get stable again. then I started painting, and lost the desire to go back. I've thought recently that once my youngest is in school, I might go and just take a few random classes, no degree in mind.

I have a BA in philosophy, possibly the most derided of all majors, which I finished more than four years ago. I was so passionate about it that I seriously intended to get a PhD in the subject. This aspiration ended after I went so far as to move to a new place to start a PhD, which unfortunately resulted in a nervous breakdown and pulling out of the program in the first week of school. Painful. After some time away from the subject my interest in philosophy dissipated.

I accept that this path is no longer my calling, but I'm left with a void in terms of occupational interests and goals. I mean, there are things that interest me, but am I interested *enough* to seriously pursue it and make sacrifices and do whatever I need to do to make things happen? That I'm not so sure of. Right now I'm thinking about getting a library science degree at some point, but I'm sure in a month or two it will be something else. The thing that scares me the most though is what if I go through all this effort and get a job in my field but end up not liking it? The reality of most jobs are not so glamorous and idealistic as they might seem from the outside.

The whole job/career thing is a major source of frustration and unhappiness for me. I'm a whiz, a teacher's dream in school, but outside of it...not so much.

• 4 months later...

I have a B.A. in Liberal Arts, with a concentration in East Asian History and lit. That is the way my college referred to our degrees. Then I taught history and English for a few years at some boarding schools, until a major depressive episode, that coincided with my being laid off (depression not being conducive to efficient job searches). I ended up working retail for a year, at sea. So, like every good Jewish girl, my solution was to apply to law school. Har.

I got my J.D. almost 14 years ago. I practiced for about two years. Criminal defense and prisoner law.

Then I tried to teach again. And that didn't work out. Then I was a Museum administrator. Eventualy I began to realize that full time jobs ended up with my either depressed or manic (I get irritable and mean).

So now I work part time at a Doggie Daycare. Not what I was trained to do, but I love it, I am good at it, and I am fortunate in having a husband who can afford to let me work part time.

less than h.s. grad. if it were not for a metal shop class in the h.s. that HAD to take me after expulsion from an academic one, i would have been a hood forever.

a lifetime of work in machine shops was where it was for me. organised labor was stronger then and bargaining for good wages was part of life back then. i have known really brilliant people in the trades. they had educations that were for real but chose skilled labor for one reason or another.

know peeps that had degrees but were stuck in jobs that they loathed. for head cases like self, getting along with coworkers is hard,hard, hard. depression, getting loaded, depression, getting loaded..... that tears one up.

the work was something that i was suited to. worked 2 jobs for many years. wanted to retire early. did so and now depression is making me wish for an end to the shit. pinning my hopes on a p-doc and his pills.

big pharma might suck in it's corporate heart but perhaps, just perhaps anti depressant chems will work for this old loonie.

I have a MA in developmental psych (infant perception and cognition). I was going for my PhD when I went batshit insane and ended up in the hospital for 8 months.

They say everything happens for a reason. I'm now an ESL teacher in South Korea (or I will be once the damn post office finds my damn visa so I can move) and I love it. This will be my second trip to Korea.

I'm planning on trying to get my TEFL certificate so I can teach more places. Most places in Europe want that certification. Asia pretty much is happy with a bachelors.

I'm currently a high school junior, but I had my first college class when I was 12 and I'm still taking them. I'm planning on starting a 4-year college (MIT would be great, too bad I won't get in) and then going to graduate school (good bye social life!) hopefully for a phd. I'm looking into cognitive science, somewhere in the intersection of psychology, neuroscience, and philosophy of mind. Barring a major breakdown, I'll probably end up as some kind of research scientist like my parents.

I'm trying to finish high school. Should have been done a year ago, but... well, psychotic depression didn't get along with school in my case. Right now I'm doing really well in school, when I actually go there (which isn't as often as it should be).

I do want to go to uni some day, just not in the near future. I got this idea about literature history, but that would be a waste of study loan money. Nurse sounds interesting but too much stress for too little money. I guess my ideal job would be journalist, but really, no school is going to teach you that. Just lots of experience.

I have 95% of a BA in Communications/Journalism News and Editorial. I had to stop school just short of finishing when my son attempted suicide at 10.

I work full time plus as an analyst/DBA for a large corporation. I'm about to start work on my Project Manager certification.

The kids are grown. Only one left at home. Time to have my own life.

I both

litrerally

and

figuratively,

Got my Diploma,

and a subtle suggest

to set up shop,

anywhere else.

Thats another thang.

Another time.I always felt

alienated,

Small shcool,

served the whole of

Del Norte county(that's del nort to out landers)

California .

The Hammer

white steel,

immersion bcame

my salvation.

Like most anything,

I was learning,

Just to mutter "Fuckit"

let them watch my backside

out the door.

I wasn't able to

haul a forge,

I still had a

hammer(right hand)

A Stasis ramble,

just kick the food under the door

Masters in Educational Planning and Social Policy

Supposed to be starting PhD work this year, but well... my head's just not in the right space and while I coped with working fulltime while completing my M, I don't think I have it in me to do the same with a doctorate. I waver between wanting to do it and feeling freaked out at the massive commitment it would entail. I've known people who've taken 10 YEARS to submit. eek. At least I'm publishing, which is what people want to see... as anyone who's been in the higher degree university system will know. It's a vicious environment and at the end of the year you need to be able to whip out a list of journal articles/conference papers/books.

Have an AA under my belt. Wanted to go into Nursing, but the pre-reqs came at a really bad time for me, and I couldn't finish them. Switched to an English major on paper only to take random classes that interested me. Did alright in those since they were easier and I felt slightly more stable. Then, I realized that I have almost everything I need for a BA in Psychology and started on that course.. only to fall apart halfway though.

The frustrating thing is I was a straight A student in HS and College before the MI really started to kick my ass. So I know I should be able to do it - but I just can't.

Now I'm debating whether or not to attend next semester; knowing it probably wouldn't turn out well. But also knowing that I need the Fin. Aid money & wouldn't be able to start paying it back if I dropped.

I really hate school...

Have an MS in mathematics. Was working on a PhD when I just got too crazy to deal. So I'm ABD (all but dissertation) and likely to stay that way. I'm ok with that, though---just staying stable is enough work just at the moment. No way I could handle the stress of writing the dissertation and all that is involved in that.

Oh---BP1, GAD. Taking lamictal, wellbutrin, various bits and pieces (e.g., Xanax, occasional sleeping pills, and so on).

I'm constantly being reminded how intelligent I am, based on past performance. I'm not so sure anymore - the illnes has ravaged my mind.

I got 6 A-levels at the end of high school, when the norm is three. My subjects were Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, French and Spanish. I got the top A-grade in all them. For Maths I received several letters from the exam markers praising my extraordinary performance. I got 100% in the highest papers. I was really something at Maths. But I decided to go on to university to study French and Spanish language and literature. I went to the best university in Britain (well, the one at the top of the newspapers' ranking tables). I got a paid scholarship at the end of the first year for my work on 19thC French literature. Then severe mental illness hit. I dropped out and after getting medicated started a string of menial jobs that never lasted. Nowadays I have trouble with the times table and haven't read a novel in a year.

I've joined facebook and note that a girl at uni I had a crush on, and whom I used to help with essays, is now a lecturer at the same uni. Gah.

Maybe I should go back to some kind of study but it seems daunting. Maybe I just need motivation and confidence. Then again, maybe nowadays I just too far gone. Maybe I just drink too much. Everyone says I am throwing my potential away. Gah.

I just started college. I have finished freshman year though.

I want to get at least a masters in engineering, I'm thinking a double major with electrical and computer engineering if I can't decide and they'll let me, and maybe throw in some programming in there too.

I'm not sure I want anything else.

• 1 month later...

Right now getting my B.S. in Geology, have about a year left to go. Only took me 6+ years, with a 2 year vacation in the middle. lol

Thinking about getting my Masters, because if I do decide to get it, now would be the best time. Dont know though, I want to get an art studio together (which is my ultimate desire), and i only went back to school so that i could increase my income so that I could afford it. With the masters i could earn even more money, but then i would be putting 2 more years into school, when part of me would rather be working some job that pays okay while working on art projects. who knows.

I was a top student in high school, started college right away but then became very depressed not knowing why so I dropped out. Then I started going back to college when I was 22. I kept having ups and downs, taking my antidepressants when I was down then stopping when I was up. I would start off the semester really well and then crash half way through. I received many incompletes even though my GPA was very good. I had no idea I had a mood problem. Obviously, I had not been diagnosed yet.

Just recently I was thinking of finishing my 4 yr degree in psychology on-line thinking maybe I can actually follow up with that and then move onto my Masters. However, once again I crashed, and this thought has been put on the backburner. It makes me sad.

Oreo

6 O Levels; 2 A Levels; 1/2 Applied Biology degree and started a Fine Art degree; Diploma in Swedish Massage and shiatsu; Certificate in Counselling.

Applied for Anthropology & Art History and Commerical Horticulture - not at the same time!

I don't do well in standard learning institutions. I'm a slow learner have slight learning disability, have a poor memory until it gets in then! I do well with investigation and research though. Find academic writing difficult and terrifying! If exams were verbal and practical would probably be brilliant! Was always top of my class at school and uni for practicals. Also my schooling was mucked around by parents constantly moving and pulling me out of school - 5 schools in the space of 3 years, including different countries so by 12 I'd given up. Use to skip school alot when I was 14/15.

I'm 43 and still keep dreaming of going to uni, getting a degree and I will have an instant successful career. I spend hours looking at uni websites and degrees - hence the variety of subjects. I have lots of "not good enough" issues with regards education and skills. Classic NPD underachiever!

I'm the oldest cousin - of 13 - and the next 7 oldest bar 1 - all have degrees and successful careers. Both my parents have degrees and my mother's side is very pro education. "If you have a degree = you will have a successful career."

Anyway made the decision this year to not make any decisions with regards my future for a year and just focus on my therapy. It really helped and felt quite freeing!

Hawk

I only have gcses(high school) but technically i didn't even pass them as they were all D grades. ;)

I'm 28 and my crappy education has bothered me for a while now so in October i'm going to take a short course on creative writng with the Open University. It's only a 12 week course but hopefully if i enjoy it i will then take a level one course which would last 9 months. I could eventually gain a degree this way, it would take longer than going to a 'tradtional' university but the great thing about the O.U is i can take a break between the individual courses and pick up again when i am ready.

I'm not exactly sure what i want to gain from this career wise, maybe something in publishing? I love books.

SW

I double majored so technically I have two BAs. I'm all paranoid about my past catching up with me, so I won't say what they were in (the combination and availability of such majors at US universities is unique enough to find me out). I just completed my first year in grad school, again in an esoteric and therefore identifying field.

My classmates refer to me as "the girl with big boobs" and my nuttiness doesn't go over well. I make very large gestures and dramatic facial expressions at everything and they make fun of me. One of my professors stares at my scars, and the other makes questionable comments about my sex appeal.

So I'm appying elsewhere for my PhD. I have to get one because my mom did. She was the first generation of her family to go to college. She worked her ass off to get her degrees and I wish to follow in her footsteps.

The original plan was to be a professor, but if it doesn't work out I'd like to be a private investigator. My degrees aren't anywhere near criminology or anything like that, but they would be surprisingly helpful in that line of work.

It's actually been quite a relief to realize that I don't HAVE to go into academia. My mom didn't.

graduated HS w/ 3.3(not bad for ADD & not applying myself..LOL)

at the same time was in Cosmetology school at the local vocational school..and I actually used it! had all of my hours requirements (1250) by Feb of my senior year to get my state license..did so in 95...

and that is about it!!

I would love to do some sort of psychology...but I know you need your masters to really make money at it..

I am also interested in nursing, specializing in OBGYN area(if you can do that!)

and possibly a Doula or Lactation consultant

he he...

I finished high school with 3 A Levels (Spanish, Religious Studies, ICT - all A grade) and 2 AS Levels (French A, Physics D). In September I will be starting a BSc in Computing and Psychology. I aim to do some postgraduate study but I'm not sure yet whether to take the IT or psychology branch. I'll see what pans out with my degree.

i don't know if my title explains what i'm asking really. i want to know what your education level is that you have right now, and if you plan or planned to go on to get a different degree but either could or couldn't based on what factors, and if you are fine with this choice or would do it differently.

i have a BA in international economics and management. i toyed with going right into an MBA/ International MBA or Econ grad school right out of college, but decided that without real work experience i really had no idea what i was doing, and i didn't want to waste money not knowing what i was doing.

i ended up passing up a gov job as a junior economist to go into tech, where i spent 6 years (9 counting college work).

i decided i wanted to become a nurse practitioner with a doctoral degree. there is a good program for non-bioscience majors at a local university. however, my student loans are in such a condition that i can't go to school until i fix them. so right now i'm just pumping money into them to get them up to date.

i'll go back to school for my nursing doctorate when i have the student loan capacity to do so, and i hope my mental health will cooperate. that is probably more vital than the money- being able to actually handle grad school. but i handled college being a nutcase, so i'm optimistic about grad school.

and who knows what the SSA rules for THAT are!!! i guess i'll cross that bridge if and when i come to it...

loon

Congrats on your drive and desire to become an NP. I too, have thought about nursing myself, with an emphasis on the psych side of things.

• 1 month later...

Congrats on wanting to be a NP. I hope every thing will work out okay for you.

As for me:

B.S. in Biochemistry

5 years in grad school: majored in Chemistry at a top-ranked R1 university during which time I was diagnosed as BP and my father died suddenly. During the last year I was so stressed I was nonfunctional, ended up getting my Master's instead of my PhD. Two months out of grad school, I am very happy that I decided to quit and can't possibly conceive of putting myself through that torture again ever.

This topic is so interesting- that so many of us are so educated and/or have educational aspirations. I wonder what this means?

I have a BA in Psychology and an MSW ( Masters in Social Work).

Also interesting that so many are or have studied psychology or related fields-again I wonder if this means something?

People who are curious about how minds work, or who are interested in psychological problems, are more likely to go into psychology, and I'd wager that people whose minds don't work quite right tend to be interested in both of those.

People who self-educate about medical conditions are more likely to wind up here, and probably more likely to be interested in education in general...

People who are curious about how minds work, or who are interested in psychological problems, are more likely to go into psychology, and I'd wager that people whose minds don't work quite right tend to be interested in both of those.

yeah... I remember my psych 101 prof opening the first lecture with "I know most of you are here because you want to know what's wrong with you."

he sure had me pegged.

I have a B.A. in psych and an M.A. in anthropology.

That probably has a lot of truth to it. I actually started college as a psych major but I changed to chem once I realized that psychology isn't all abnormal psych all the time. I think I realized back then that my brain wasn't quite right and I loved reading books about MI. I Never Promised You a Rose Garden is still one of my favorite books.

People who self-educate about medical conditions are more likely to wind up here, and probably more likely to be interested in education in general...

Controlled hypomania can be hugely productive if you can focus the energy. BSE in Civil Engineering (4 yrs), MS Earth Sciences (1.5 yrs), and MS Civil Engineering (1.5 yrs). I now use my applied computer skills to work in IT as that is where the jobs are. I'm on leave of absence following my recent hospitalization. Not sure what I'm going to do now, but I doubt I'll go back to IT as the hours et al are not conducive to BP daily rythms.

Am I the ONLY one with a PhD from the School of Hard Knocks? <groans>

I say, "who cares!?" I'm just trying to stay alive out here with these earth people. That alone is a full-time study.

I have never been able to finish a fookin' thing I started, including college. I have the equivalent of an AA in Liberal Arts, and have aspirations to finish up a degree in Behavioral Science, I doubt at my age I will ever get a Masters degree, but I don't care that much about money. My interests are hospice and palliative social work type stoof. Working with families, helping them get services they are too burned out as caregivers to know how to get themselves.

Good luck to me, eh? I just reapplied for a duplicate FAFSA pin for the nth time today.

S9

ETA: Fuck Grammar

I just dropped out of high school (junior year) a few weeks ago. ;)

I plan to test the waters in a writing career (I hope to publish a book in the next coming years) or persue an artistic career-- opening my own boutique or something along those lines. HOWEVER, due to the overwhelming statistics of unsuccessful hs dropouts (okay okay-- deadbeats), college is a backup. Community college for 2 years, then finish the other 2 years at a university. We'll see. :)

Hmm.

I was a hs dropout (20+ years ago) and was a semi-street person for a while, and then went to college, and then took up writing. (Yes, I actually made a semi-living at it.) And now I'm in grad school.

My aspirations? I'd love to get a PhD. Of course, I'd be just about ready to retire by the time I get it. I'd like to anyway, though.

-Matty

Ouch, it hurts every time I think about it.

Despite being a school dropout (I hated school from the third grade onwards), I had the single-minded ambition to become a Zoologist and eventually got there (curiously, a former boss of mine--now a Professor--followed a similar path).

Things didn't quite work out. I never got involved in cetacean research. I wanted to combine an ecology/fieldwork element with molecular biology, because in my opinion nothing ticks without it. That landed me in a lab environment where I felt in over my head. Add frequent moves (short-term contracts)--bringing with them separation and isolation--and mounting anxiety about my work = burn-out in 2002.

Haven't been working since. Doubt that I ever will again.

So was it all worth it? Dunno. Don't get involved with science unless it absolutely consumes you. But yeah, it's good to have been passionate about something.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, I feel like a slacker after reading all of these degrees and almost degrees!

I got a GED about four years after I should have finished high school (got married just before what should have been my senior year). Then, nine years later, I went back to college - ten years after that, I finally got an AS in Social Sciences. There were some years (of course) when I didn't attend...

Now, at the ripe old age of 41, I'm going back to get my Bachelor's in Education, or English. I haven't decided which. I'm going to be a carreer substitute teacher. I don't want to teach full time, because I know I just can't handle the stress of it, but I can sub - subs are needed everywhere. The joy of teaching, without the stress. I was doing this in VA and I loved it. However, I need a BA to sub in the area I want to move to. So, off to school I go.

I'd also like to revamp and revise the tutoring business I had before to suppliment the substitute pay - so the TEOFL certification they have here may work well with that too.

right now, i'm doing a phd in television studies. i started a few months ago and should be done sometime in the next seven years. i'm hoping it'll be faster than that, though.

i've sort of taken a lot of time off before going to grad school. i finished my undergrad (english lit) degree back in 1999, but then it took me until 2004 to get the degree (had a foreign language requirement that i had to deal with). since then, i took one grad class on chaucer, wrote a paper on tv, took it to conferences, and wound up moving to a different country to get my degree.

i've gone through phases of wanting to be a doctor. i finally gave it up last year, but i still have an interest in it. but i realized that it's just not the right path for me.

I'm 6months away from having my Honours in Dietetics

I then wish to complete my psychology, as i have complete half through my Dietetics.

I apologize for my ignorance, but would that be like the equivalent to a Bachelors Degree in the US?

In May I will be graduating from college (:::sigh of relief:::). I am a double major, so I will have a BA in both English and in Theatre. As for what is to come after that... well... I feel that I need a break from academia for a little bit. I don't know...

Sometimes I can't help but think of a song from the show Avenue Q (for anyone who is familiar with it) when thinking about what it is I am going to do with my life:

"What do you do with a B.A. in English?

What is my life going to be?

Four years of college and plenty of knowledge,

Have earned me this useless degree.

I can't pay the bills yet,

'Cause I have no skills yet,

The world is a big scary place.

But somehow I can't shake,

The feeling I might make,

A difference,

To the human race."

i started out working on a BS in psychology, wound up having to quit school cuz i self medicated too much, finished an AS in Graphic Art a million years later going nights.

In my dream world, I would have a Phd in Quantum Mechanics! Quantum theory and theories of conscious sub atomic matter fascinate me!

Short of that, if i could ever get the time and the money, I'd go back for a BS in finance, and then an MBA. Just so i could get a half way decent pay check. i actually enjoy working for the man. who knew? artist/hippie/burner i used to be.

I apologize for my ignorance, but would that be like the equivalent to a Bachelors Degree in the US?

An Honours degree in South Africa is an additional year's qualification added on to a Bachelors Degree. We're one of the very few countries in the world that have a system in which an Honours is a separate degree entirely.

High school -> deferred Economics degree for a year of being bored out my skull and nearly sacked several times as a "checkout chick".

6 months Economics. Work I did - scored OK in, not amazing - "you don't think like an Economist" was a quote on a (barely) passing assignment.

I agreed. Quit.

years later. Environmental Science. Two years. Unfortunately tried this with not the right background (eg not right subjects in school apart from Biology)

Excelled in Biology and Botany. Got Distinctions or High Distinctions. Flunked most of the rest. Some mood stuff didn't help.

Recently: TAFE Certificate III in Customer Contact (traineeship with Government - still working there, as a temp)

Possible future re-attempts - Psychology or IT...

A bachelors in nursing (BSN), and a certificate in health care risk management. Licensed as an RN, and health care risk manager. No more school for me--I'm DONE ;)

Well congrats on that Anelize.. very well done :) I hope it comes in useful...

I have a BA in Education. In my state I can teach K-12 Special Ed and General Ed K-6.

I'm not finished with school. I have to keep up with my mom and sister! Mom has a maters and sister is currently getting a specialist degree. Tdoc is great and is urging me to go back sooner rather than later. I want to go into something related to school counseling. Right now, I really wish I had done all of my assignments in my psych classes. I did well on tests but didn't do things like homework. Live and learn, right? Good thing I'm giving myself three years so I can get things together to go back to school.

Archived