I admit I use the internet to take the place of hobbies I am no longer interested in. Beingonline makes me feel like I am not alone in my apartment but it also makes me feek empty. The one or two connections I may get through a thread response is not enough for me to continue the way I have been doing. It seems like I surf all night going from message board to board looking for connections or something I can identify or bond with. And then hours later I am still here wasting time. Sometimes I even get sad when a post wasn't responded to or I see others banter back and forth or I see someone get more attention to there post and my is skipped over (not this board so much). I take it personally like rejection because I have noone to treat me special in real life, just mom who is anther state. Everyone gets so much more attention and validation and I feel subpar due to years of not being validated or treated as an equal. I am venting

I think most of us go through this from time to time. I know I did (and still do occasionally). I usually lose interest after a while and eventually resume my normal activities.

That said, the internet is not an inherently bad thing, nor are message boards. It's when you let your life revolve around them that it's a problem. Just like any other addiction, I suppose.

is it really an addiction, or just that you are reaching out to people and disinterested in other hobbies because you may be depressed? i understand that feeling of isolation and loneliness. that's why i haven't dumped very crappy boyfriends in the past- just because i felt like they were my one personal connection in the world an i didn't want to be alone.

message boards aren't bad, but if they make you feel bad when you get no response, try to post on boards where you do get responses. here i attempt to respond to every message i see in a topic that i know something about, like bipolar disorder, ptsd, anxiety issues, and add. sometimes i post elsewhere too if i figure i may have something to contribute.

sometimes we don't know what to say. if you look at the times your topic has been viewed, you can see that you're not being ignored per se. it is just that people don't know what to say.

i'd say be easier on yourself, try to get more social and join some club or volunteer to meet people, and remember that on boards, not everyone always knows what to say. sometimes the questions people ask are beyond what i feel i can answer with any intelligence. i don't answer those. it isn't that they're ignored! and your online useage isn't necessarily an addiction, just an attempt to reach out and touch someone ;)

loon, who pays attention to your posts

Its not this board Loon is the other boards where my mental ills arent discussed. My board personality doesnt come across well just like in real life. I get depressed around 9 or 10 knowing that the computer is my social life at night. I have no interest in volunteering after 8hrs of working. I dont have hobbies anymore hon. I am content on this board reading about you and others everyday struggles and people who are depressed.

if that's your hobby and what you are interested in, then why is it an addiction? you could say i'm a CB addict because i love CB, but i don't go nuts on days when i can't look at CB. i wonder what's going on, but i don't go nuts. you'd go nuts if it were an addiction.

well, nuts as in crazier than we already are ;)

yeah, we're all nuts, which makes us much more interesting than your average people. our stories are stories you can relate to, and we can relate to you. in other places, people won't have that same sense of familiarity. so don't take it personally that they're creeps. they're just assholes. i'd rather read about crazy people any day, because i'm crazy and it is more interesting!

• 7 months later...

I admit I use the internet to take the place of hobbies I am no longer interested in. Beingonline makes me feel like I am not alone in my apartment but it also makes me feek empty. The one or two connections I may get through a thread response is not enough for me to continue the way I have been doing. It seems like I surf all night going from message board to board looking for connections or something I can identify or bond with. And then hours later I am still here wasting time. Sometimes I even get sad when a post wasn't responded to or I see others banter back and forth or I see someone get more attention to there post and my is skipped over (not this board so much). I take it personally like rejection because I have noone to treat me special in real life, just mom who is anther state. Everyone gets so much more attention and validation and I feel subpar due to years of not being validated or treated as an equal. I am venting

i,ve been doing the same thing for 6 hours today. For me its the depression, before I had the computer, I would stare blankly at the walls for hours.

Atleast we're communicating and feeling less like freaks on the forums.

Have you thought about any ways that you could make connections with people in real life? Maybe joining a support group, a night class or a hobby group might help give you some social interaction to help you break the dependency?

Archived