Grief Counseling

hiya-

i went totally downhill after my dad's suicide. that's what led to most of my hospitalizations and the beginning of my ptsd/psychotic symptoms (during bp episodes) issues. i blame being on ssdi largely on how his suicide has impacted my mental health. i went from hanging in there to totally batshit. i "handled it" ie. repressed most of it for about a year, and then i couldn't hold back all of the grief anymore.

it has been showing up in all kinds of mental health ways. it aggrevates my bipolar disorder. it caused the ptsd. it contributes heavily towards anxiety. i think it even makes the ADD worse. in short, i did go from hanging in there to batshit.

i think that maybe grief counseling would be helpful to me, and maybe be the magic i need to get back into life. i'd love to be able to work again and be more normal.

do any of you have experience with going through grief counseling? was it helpful?

Loon, I really do think you would benefit.

You have acknowledged that your father's death has had a profound effect on your life in many different ways and it seems like you haven't figured out how to really get through the pain it caused you by developing coping mechanisms for when it starts to hurt. Combined with all of the other problems you have/are having, it's a lot for you to try to handle on your own or even maybe just with a therapist who doesn't specialize. If you have the oppurtunity I would definately encourage you to at least try it. I think there is a good chance it could help you sort out some of the feelings you have about your father and his death and all of the other issues that got wrapped up in those feelings.

LR

My mom went through grief counseling after my brothers suicide.

It was actually through a funeral home believe it or not.

But not the one we used.

They all kept in touch afterwards and even had monthly dinners.

Some even came to my moms funeral.

Which was kind of weird, but understandable I guess.

Loon, I really do think you would benefit.

You have acknowledged that your father's death has had a profound effect on your life in many different ways and it seems like you haven't figured out how to really get through the pain it caused you by developing coping mechanisms for when it starts to hurt. LR

Hey Loooney girl! Miss you...taking a short break before westboud for good. We're leaving Monday. Woo Hoo! Can't Wait.

Anyway, I agree, (typically do...) with Ms. LR.

You and a good fit with a competent therapist could really make some progress unwinding the knots of your chain. Particularly, when it comes to figuring the shite as it gets close and it does seem like you are in the process of breakingthrough on numerous levels. I always think too what a factor your tender age is. You must have an old soul.

FWIW, I couldn't even approach the notion of any substantive therapy with B until he, B, had been dead for 2 years. It was just too much prior to that. I let the Goddess lead, still do, not perfect by far at that, but when I CAN, it seems to work best.

2 cents worth.

Big hugs little thing! (Little bod--HUGE brain :cussing: )

Love, Suzanne

;):)

thanks everyone for your support! yep, there is a lot to unwind, and this stuff probably effects me in more ways than i know.

it will take a lot to sort out. my tdoc and i just talk about my daily life. i never talk about my dad with her.

the subject has remained untouched in therapy, except for my last stint in the hospital, where they decided i needed a grief counselor and gave me one. she had me to some exercises that were helpful, and i did get a lot out of it, even though i didn't stay very long.

now that i have medicaid and this "spend down" amount (that i still don't know yet), i should probably spend as much as possible so i make this amount and get my treatments paid for. they won't pay for your treatment unless you spend a certain amount per month (very weird, huh?), and it can't be money spent on meds, or i'd have it covered by a long shot.

i was thinking even, if they offer it, more intensive outpatient grief counseling. i'm just wrecked by this daily. i'm sure it is a huge reason as to why i'm on disability right now. i feel that if i can deal with it, i'll be dealing with so many more issues and may be able to put the past in perspective.

my family has always said that i'd heal in time, that time by itself would do it. well, it has been 2 1/2 years, and shouldn't i be healed by now? wasn't i supposed to be healed at 2 years? this isn't going away on its own. ptsd isn't treated with a pill bottle.

thank you for your encouragement. i'll get a referral from my tdoc and see what i can do about getting some help-

loon

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the thought- i really need to look into my options. i've been sitting on this for long enough.

and we all handle grief differently. i'm at a stage where i want to use my experience and grief as an example to help others avoid the same things. there are stages in between, and more down the road. this is just where i happen to be, 2 1/2 years later.

thanks for the thought- i really need to look into my options. i've been sitting on this for long enough.

and we all handle grief differently. i'm at a stage where i want to use my experience and grief as an example to help others avoid the same things. there are stages in between, and more down the road. this is just where i happen to be, 2 1/2 years later.

Archived