eating weird salty stuff

resonance

I confess that I eat weird foods sometimes. Particularly salty ones. Chicken bouillon granules, fish sauce (fermented liquid anchovies), pickle juice from the jar (better than the pickles!), and when I was a kid I ate parmesan straight and had my parents repeatedly tell me it was a condiment, not a food. (So I hid it as well as the chicken bouillon and the pickle juice from my parents. If we'd had fish sauce, I would have hidden that too.) I also really like the large fish eggs you get on sushi - I eat them one at a time and they're soooo nice.

I've heard that it's not unusual among bp'ers to crave salt, so I'm guessing that's related. (lithium and salt are close to each other.) I could eat just salt, but I like having flavor along with it.

Recently I bought some Olivio (olive-oil based butter substitute) to see if it could work for me. It tastes really nice. Better than butter, in fact. A lot better. I have run out of bread, and so I am rolling up forkfuls of pasta and spreading it on top. I do not think I will buy more, lest my arteries harden and I die before I get through the second tub.

I don't actually feel bad about any of this (except the Olivio), because I'm not currently living with anyone, so no one can tease me about it.

Anybody else? And do feel free to suggest to me other foods/condiments/nonfoods of salty deliciousness.

Edit: I feel kind of sick to my stomach now. Did anyone *not* see that coming?

Edit: I feel kind of sick to my stomach now. Did anyone *not* see that coming?
Heh.

Maybe that's where my olive obsession comes from? Hmm...

Odd thing about me & pickles: I hate the juice. I dry off my pickles before I eat them. Maybe it has to do with my compartmental eating.

When I was a kid I used to lick the rock salt from the water softener and pretend it made me into a superhero. That shit is salty[.

oh, i forgot to add something. craving salt can be indicative of an adrenal imbalance. (or, of course, it can be because you're drinking 900 bottles of water a day for dry mouth or for lithium.) anyway, other than the sad tummy upset from olive oil, i think a lot of times our cravings are things to follow. maybe craving olive oil means you need more omegas. chocolate is loaded with magnesium, and i think that's one reason why people crave it. i was surprised that my last blood work showed that i had low blood sodium considering i honestly eat it as a snack and i salt my food like it's my job. but i have adrenal issues and i drink a lot lot lot of water. (maybe i should switch to "smart water" which has electrolytes in it or something..)

sorry for the ramble.

salt ahoy!

Huh. I would say it's from drinking water for lithium, but I've been like this all my life. If it were to be indicative of an adrenal imbalance, would that show up on the blood tests I have to get for the lithium?

If I can trust Wikipedia, it looks like I'm not getting any of the common sources of omegas, except for breakfast when I eat triscuits, and when I cook turkey. No cereals, veggie oils, baked goods... Eek, that's probably not good. I often stop eating white flour in the assumption that it will kick me back into healthier whole grains, but instead I just don't eat flour products, and that's not good. (I am actually eating stuff: veggies, cheese, pasta, potatoes, veggie burgers, etc.)

I think I'm going to go out and buy some bread now. And eat Olivio on it.

Hm, now I'm not sure if white bread counts. I misread the wikipedia article the first time.

Maybe I'll just eat an egg. With olivio. (I forgot: AND LOTS OF SALT.)

oh, i forgot to add something. craving salt can be indicative of an adrenal imbalance. (or, of course, it can be because you're drinking 900 bottles of water a day for dry mouth or for lithium.) anyway, other than the sad tummy upset from olive oil, i think a lot of times our cravings are things to follow. maybe craving olive oil means you need more omegas. chocolate is loaded with magnesium, and i think that's one reason why people crave it. i was surprised that my last blood work showed that i had low blood sodium considering i honestly eat it as a snack and i salt my food like it's my job. but i have adrenal issues and i drink a lot lot lot of water. (maybe i should switch to "smart water" which has electrolytes in it or something..)

sorry for the ramble.

salt ahoy!

omegas are so important. that and eating leafy greens and tomato sauce and fruits of all the rainbow colors. something about colors. i read a book about eating colors but i don't remember any of it.

the adrenal thing it's just one hormone (i'd have to look in a book to find it and i'm meh today) and that hormone can be boosted through exercise only i have other hormonal shit so it makes it weird and blah blah i wouldn't worry about it or nuthin. (i could explain this in better explainage but i'm braindead and so i shouldn't have mentioned it when i am not able to explain it. i can explain it sometimes. but what little brain i have is being saved for a hopeful brain boost later where i read a million pages....)

do you take an omega supplement?

um. i was just sleeping a migrane off. i should go back to doing that and stop it with the rambling about colors

Huh, I didn't know about tomato sauce! What's up with that?

I have been getting a huge thing of mixed greens every week and eating them for every lunch and dinner all week. It's great. I tried to buy lettuce and spinach and other stuff and mix them all myself, but then I just never did.

I read a book that mentioned colors but probably not the one you're thinking about. It was about sugar being addictive and how to build a balanced diet before going off of it.

I don't take an omega supplement. I brought it up to my pdoc once and he said it wasn't necessary.

tomato sauce is all about the lycopene, and apparently you get more lycopene from from tomato sauce and paste, etc. than raw tomatoes.

as for not needing omegas, i find they help. my doctor thinks they're godly, but my internist is an integrative med MD so i take a lot of supplements. (and i take a lot of supplements because they still haven't found a treatment for CFS so i take a lot of supplements and it helps.)

the fruits of many colors think probably also has to do with cancer. though, i think that the reason why so many foods are cancer busters is that cancer research is one of the few areas where they really look into what you eat.

go you on the leafy greens. i was so pissed during the spinach scare because i love spinach and i found that the other leafy greens weren't as fresh because people were avoiding them all together. but thinks seem to be back to normal again.

by the way, i love fish sauce.

oh, someone else who licks bouillon cubes? finally. and i eat hot chocolate mix and hershey's syrup by the spoonful. fish sauce rocks when you mix it with lime & honey and garlic for dip.

i've read the rainbow food thing. it's meant to simplify eating rules: just eat a rainbow mix of fruit and vegetables each day. like, imagine all your fruits and veggies for the day lined up in front of you at one time: you should see a big variety of colors (a 'rainbow'). if you see to much of one color, or don't see any of a certain color, then that tells you how you're out of balance.

you don't have to try to remember cruciferous or leafy green or lycopene or anything. just eat lots of color. fairly easy to follow.

btw, blue pretty much equal purple in that scheme.

*edit* Redmond Sea Salt. also, pour olive oil in a dish add your coarse salt, a few grind of black pepper and voila! yummy dipping sauce for bread. add herbs & garlic or parmesan if you want, but the salt + oil + black pepper is fabulous.

Archived