CrazyBoards.org

Mood Charting

my pdoc asked me to start doing a mood tracker. i've done it before and it just shows what i tell him already, that i cycle pretty much every 2-3 weeks and will go from low to even to higher (but not manic usually) to even to low again. i can already tell him this. i don't understand why i need a chart, unless he's anal about graphs and charts and numbers.

there is a good site for mood charting-

www.moodtracker.com

they also have a place where you can journal, and you can allow your health care provider access to view it anytime they want to or not.

it is pretty cool, but i'm lazy and don't feel like telling it every day what i can already tell him.

is it really worth my time? should i just do it and like it?

I think if you find something that you can do, you really should do it. I tell a lot of people to try and chart their moods.

I try to chart my moods but I have had a really difficult time finding comething that works for me. It's hard to do ratings things because I sort of get mild anxiety about it, maybe.

I sometimes have no sense of my mood in a proportionate way, too. So it could effect my actual recording.

I guess I just don't know how to record. Or something. I have tried a lot of times, but always seem to mess it up. When in doubt I look at my thread though and try to examine how my posts have gone. I do try again every once in a while. I think if I had twenty questions to answer every day and it calculated my mood from that, I would be a lot better off. It would be so much easier for me.

Either way, having some sort of record of your moods is pretty important. I don't know how many times I have suddenly realized how not ok I was or how irritable I was or how much my moods had been fluctuating and I didn't realize it at all for a long time.

LR

i went to moodtracker.com and charted my mood for today. it tracks your depression/elevation, irritability, anxiety, and hours of sleep. pretty cool. and it graphs them, so perfect to print out for my pdoc.

now if only i could remember to do it every day.... ;)

I've been using the Excel one that you plug your numbers into (hours of sleep, mg of Ativan taken, rating of mania/depression/anxiety, etc) and then it puts it all on a graph automatically. There are even dots for menses, exercise, and I also track my headaches. Oh, and there is a place for comments each day which I like. I can look back and actually remember what was going on in my life.

But after about 4 months, I get tired of it, so I may try the one you use. I like that it sends reminders to your email.

I always print and give to my pdoc as well.

Except then he gives me crap about my jagged sleep cycles. What can I say...I work nights. So sometimes I sleep 4 hours, sometimes I sleep 13. Then 5. Then 9. Then 7. Then 11. Then 6.

And he wants me to get 8-9 hours of sleep a night consistently.

heh

BTW, I meant it sends reminders to your cell phone, not email.

Sorry...dopamax brain.

In my opinion, the best way to track your moods is neither an excel document nor an online site, but a real (i.e. not virtual) pocket-sized calendar. You just can't be in front of a computer all day long to record your moods, nor can you remember exactly how your moods were in the whole day. A calendar would allow for more on-the-spot recording of your moods. Moreover, like another member in another BP thread has mentioned, your handwriting will reveal much more than the words themselves..

In my opinion, the best way to track your moods is neither an excel document nor an online site, but a real (i.e. not virtual) pocket-sized calendar. You just can't be in front of a computer all day long to record your moods, nor can you remember exactly how your moods were in the whole day. A calendar would allow for more on-the-spot recording of your moods. Moreover, like another member in another BP thread has mentioned, your handwriting will reveal much more than the words themselves..

Is there such a thing though? I know there's palm programs galore, but every time I've used PalmOS I've cringed, with it's frequent crashes and it's inability to regulate battery usage. ??

i went to moodtracker.com and charted my mood for today. it tracks your depression/elevation, irritability, anxiety, and hours of sleep. pretty cool. and it graphs them, so perfect to print out for my pdoc.

now if only i could remember to do it every day.... ;)

Loon,

You can set up moodtracker to remind you daily. Either by cell phone or email. I have it set to email me 3 times / day. I check my email everyday so it works for me ... I'd forget otherwise.

I thought I was accurately conveying my mood to my pdoc and tdoc until I started using moodtracker. I couldn't believe some of the moods / anxiety / irritablity / missed meds / sleep that I wasn't remembering without keeping track. I love that you can print out by quarter and yearly. I've already started to see some patterns / cycles occurring.

Definately a neat program. I showed it to my family doc and pdoc and they were impressed.

Peace

Sandy

i forgot to do it last night ;)

i'm going to have to program it to email me, otherwise i'll forget.

it is true that there are probably things in my cycles that i don't catch, and patterns in the quarters and years that i don't see.

it lets you put in your meds too. i haven't put in my meds yet, but i should. it used to ask you if you took your meds, and i don't know if it does that anymore (i used to use it about a year ago but stopped).

Is there such a thing though? I know there's palm programs galore, but every time I've used PalmOS I've cringed, with it's frequent crashes and it's inability to regulate battery usage. ??

Um, I don't mean anything virtual that depends on a device, just a journal, on plain paper. ;)

I asked my tdoc today if I should be doing mood tracking. She said it's not necessary and that I should just write down each day in a notepad what my mood was, since I'm cycling daily or even twice daily right now and can't remember how I felt yesterday.

She said that when I am stable it might be useful to do a more detailed mood tracking. I'm wondering though, if I were stable what the point would be. I guess maybe it would be useful to recognize warning signs? I think I might sign up on that site just to see what it's all about. I'm ignorant.

I did it forever, took it to my pdoc when I went for my first appt, with him. He laughed and said that was a typical ADD move. Which of course it is.

But--I am starting it again, cause I actually have an appt with a therapist to TALK next week, and I'm taking everythig to her, so I won't have to start with "Well, I was born a long time ago."

Last 2 days good--but its like waiting for the other shoe to drop.

china

china- you weren't born a long time ago! you're not ready for AARP yet (no offense to those who are), so you weren't born "a long time ago"!

i'm sure you'll find someone who actually cares about your mood charts. from what i'm gathering here, it isn't just a typical thing that us ADDers do, it is something common that pdocs ask their patients to do so they can spot trends and cycles. right now i'm in kind of a depressed cycle, with anxiety. i was just in a depressed cycle with anxiety, broke out of it, and am in one again! creepers! again, i'm considering adding paxil back into my cocktail. we already raised the risperdal and that knocked out the last one, but i'm not adding more risperdal as long as i'm trying to make adderall work...

ANYWAY- someone will care. maybe your tdoc? if nothing else, you care about your own trends, and can properly report them. you can see what you're going through and tell them. they may not care about your paper, but only what you say (unlike my pdoc, who wants graphs).

i love moodtracker. it helps me remember what the hell was going on a week ago, because in general i sure don't remember. i've tried charting on paper calendars, paper charts, but i could never keep it up. moodtracker takes two minutes daily and it gives me that fabulous graph. the graph is what makes me enter something every. single. day. i don't want to see gaps in the graph. must track daily. yes.

they've just added an alternative tracking option, where instead of rating morning/evening moods you can rate healthiest/least healthy. they're trying to find a mood entry thing suitable for mixed states. if you have any ideas, be sure to let them know.

(yes, i even email them. dave is nice.)

Psst-- just between you and me and the x,000 folks on here--I will actually be eligible for Social Security i June, when I turn--ready?? 62!!! I know, I don't know what happened to the last 40 years, either-but I think I had fun--

I am not really 100% sure that my pdoc thinks I am really BP--but he knows the mood stabalizers work, and when he upped the Tegretol, it really helped. He is just a med guy--and I respect that, cause he knowxs what he's doing in that regard. But I have some issues--don't we all---that I need to sort out.

I'm gonna try to take all the previous moodtracker stuff, plus the meds list to the therapist--will save having to tell her everything, over again. And right now, we seem to be on the right track with the chemicals--

I know I am ADD, because the Adderal is wonder-drug for me (as speed has always been--I never reacted like other folks doing it, I just felt better and focused and NEVER all speedy and nutso and all that.) and I KNOW I am Bipolar II cause I spent so much horrible time cycling about every 20 seconds till we added the mood stabalizer. So all I need the therapist for is to help me deal with some "issues".

Stay Tuned--

china the old

I asked my tdoc today if I should be doing mood tracking. She said it's not necessary and that I should just write down each day in a notepad what my mood was, since I'm cycling daily or even twice daily right now and can't remember how I felt yesterday.

My tdoc also suggested using a notepad to write down what's happening, as it changes so much throughout the day. I wrote a 2 page handwriten letter to my pdoc last session and both he and tdoc said it was excellent- to articulate and clarify the mood changes, issues and what-not, in a sort of "stream of conciousness" thing.

Anyway, I like writing and have no patience with graphs, so this should help if I don't get lazy and leave it for every 2nd, 3rd or 4th day.

but getting SOMETHING down for them (and us) has got to be helpful.

Archived