CrazyBoards.org

hiya-

this is insane. i'm a new employee at a gas station, and there is more going on at this station than at most gas stations. there are discount cards to scan either at the pumps or inside, money off involved, and weird touch screen registers.

it is the registers that freak me out. i already can't hear the customers because of the bullet proof glass between us. and then there is the DISTRACTION FACTOR. i can't concentrate or focus well enough to do anything because so much is going on. my coworkers turn on the radio. and their very pressense, the fact that there are other people running around a cramped area with me also shouting at customers through the glass, and oh god- there is just so much going on and i can't figure out the register.

i'm embarrassed that i make all kinds of register mistakes. but i make the mistakes because i can't just do it. do you know what i mean? is there anything i can do about it to help myself, besides take more adderall (my adderall was just brought up to 20mg) and just being more aware, like talking to myself ("he wants 10 on pump 9, 10 out of 20"...)?

i feel crazy and stupid. i feel like all my coworkers think i'm stupid because of the register mistakes i make and how long it is taking me to get comfortable with the register- they can show me something and i don't know where in my head it goes, but it doesn't stay in there.

so any ideas?

after eight months at work, everyone knows that when i say "TURN IT DOWN!" and turn off every radio in the back of the store... they really really want to leave them off for at least half an hour lol.

i have to force people to slow down all the stim. i throw fits at work sometimes and they let me hide outside where it is quiet and turn off all the music until i calm down lol. i'm not sure if they like me or are scared of me.

anyway, not sure what would work where you are at.

i think once nate has his job, i need to get a degree in medical billing so i can work quietly from home... might be something to look into once you have your disability *grin*

abi

abi-

i have my disability, its starting in december, but it isn't enough for my bills, so i do have to work at least some.

i turn down the radio all the time and tell my coworkers i can't hear the customers, but the radio goes right back up. i'm afraid that one of these days i'm going to have a fit and get taken off to the psych ward ;)

they probably like you and are afraid of you too :)

i should look into that medical billing business. if i can do it from home and avoid asshole coworkers and customers who just throw money at me and mumble something about pump 4, then that sounds like a career path for me! i don't really care how boring it is, because nothing can be more boring or frustrating than working at a gas station with a weirdo cash register.

and i have to look at my notes constantly, nothing stays in my head.

i seriously need a degree in medical billing. they make decent money and i wouldn't have to leave my place.

i'm not the only person in the world who is about to throw a fit over all the stimulation at work! lol

but i feel like the biggest idiot on earth for just not knowing this stuff already. it has been 4 days on the job and sometimes i pause over basic functions. other times i fly through them. it does have a lot to do with stimulation. even a coworker being in the same room is enough to make me fuck up. s/he doesn't even have to say anything or be singing and dancing to the radio. oh yeah, they dance too. and wonder why i'm a ditz on the cash register.

my boss knows i'm bipolar but i haven't mentioned the ADD part. hopefully i'll be able to control it.

my roommate is in the same boat, loon. he's on disability but has to work to make ends meet.

*giggles* i think a lot of people are scared of me, but like me, and are confused about why they are scared of me :) it makes me laugh when it isn't annoying me.

seriously, i don't know how i have NOT gotten fired for throwing fits from overstimulation there. i have thrown some good ones, too. i work at a pretty forgiving place. now that i'm not on morning prep it will be easier to stick it out lol.

you are very much NOT the only one overstimulated by your job.

the sites i've seen for medical billing are go at your own pace, the average time being a year and a half (considering people do this while working very full time, i think i can do it in a year or less).

i keep notes. i've been at my job for eight months and i STILL don't know what goes on our sandwiches, nor do i have the register memorized. and i'm smart and actually quicker than a lot of people there. so don't beat yourself up too badly over it. you'll get there. you'll learn the tricks and shortcuts. like, now that i know more or less what our menu is, i don't have to hear what the person says... if i catch part of it i can usually guess what they ordered - then i read it back and they can correct me at that point.

abi ;)

Right down the things that you are messing up at. Take it home after work and practice. I'm sure they have one of those kiddie registers you can practice on. The dancing seems fun! At least its not some humdrum dull strict place ;)

I was going to suggest the same type of thing - maybe if you can get a paper screenshot / print out of the touch screens? Or write down, step by step, what you do for the transactions (For credit cards I have to do a b c d & e, for cash I have to do a b & e, for EBT I have to do a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,&i...etc) and make a cheat sheet to keep by the register.

Can you hide the radio?

because the registers are so unique and there is nothing like them, it is impossible for me to get one to practice on. they're touch screen.

we have all these discount cards, pay in or outside, pre or post pump, with credit cards, cash, or debit, people saying "i want these chips and the rest on gas on pump 9" when they mean pump 7 and they're just to retarded to read the pump number, all that kind of stuff. and where are the cigarettes? it takes me 2 minutes just to get the cigarettes right (i don't smoke, so i don't know what a 100 menthol ultra light is let alone what brand is where).

the best, and only, option i can think of is to write down everything and just use my notes all the time. i've already started to do this on some things, and it makes my bosses mad, because my transactions aren't very fast.

that radio has to go. not everyone i work with puts it on, just the younger people (17 and 20 year olds). the older people don't. i'd rather work with them anyway because they help me with the register and don't treat me like i'm stupid.

yesterday was somewhat better because my adderall was increased and i could focus better. but it still isn't great, and with the risperdal involved, i don't know if it ever will be great, or if i'll have to settle for my notes and getting bitched at.

abi- i'd never remember what goes on sandwiches either, and i'd need my notes for that. i also consider the fate of some of my customers (the ones who mumble what pump they want and walk out the door after throwing money at me, at which time i have to watch to see what car they walk to in order to turn on their pump). the bullet proof glass really is for THEIR protection ;)

When you're distracted, it is very hard to run any kind of cash register. When I used to be a 7-11 clerk, I got robbed one night on the graveyard shift and couldn't figure out how to open the register. I kept talking, directly to the gun, saying, "I'll have it open in just a moment sir!" Turns out I had locked it to mop the floors.

Tommy

tommy- that must have been terrifying! at least you lived to tell about it. hopefully you had done a drop so the thief didn't get much money. i'm always doing drops. we work behind bullet proof glass and always lock the door. we mop after we lock the front doors. there are always 2 people in the store at once, and one is always in the enclosure. there are panic buttons and cameras everywhere, so hopefully this would prevent theft. you can never ben 100% safe, but at least our gas station is safer than most.

it is secured like this because drug deals used to go on outside in front of the parking lot. now the cops have cracked down on that area, but it is still kinda scary. still, i hate the glass. i can't hear the customers and they can't hear me. a speaker hole would be nice!

that would totally be me- i'd fumble over the register, not know how to open it, and have to explain to the thief that i'm new and don't know how to operate the cash register well enough to open it. har har har!!!

It took me awhile to adjust to the POS, touch screen register at a restaurant I used to waitress at. They can be complicated, with all kinds of menus.

I don't think you have been on the job long enough for anyone to think you're stupid.

I bet you'll be a pro in a few more days. If you could do tech support, you can do this.

that would totally be me- i'd fumble over the register, not know how to open it, and have to explain to the thief that i'm new and don't know how to operate the cash register well enough to open it. har har har!!!

Then you do what I did next, ask, "Will you be havin' a bag for that, sir?"

dee- yep, i'm sure after a few more days i'll know how to do stuff a little better. in the meantime, i'm the one needing technical support! i know how some of the users feel when they do something and it doesn't quite go their way. at least the other night i knew how to back out of a bad transaction i made so that it didn't show in my drawer count. my drawer was only $8 off. i think that's good considering i don't know what i'm doing.

tommy- yep, i have to ask if they want a bag too, and slide it under our little slits in the glass. i can't fit anything through that slit! ;)

i feel stupid though because it is second nature already to the other people, and it is still something i fumble over.

i've also been a waitress and had to learn the touch screen menu/ordering machine. i couldn't do that either. i was always taking my orders back to the kitchen and not putting them through the machine, it was faster to do it that way. sometimes the old fashioned paper routine is the best- and this is from a (former) help desk analyst :)

i would be a horrible waitress. after EIGHT months, i can only now keep an order in my head well enough to take it, turn around and put it together (when i'm in the bakery, it's things like 4 of bagel A and 3 of bagel B and a loaf of bread). there's no way i could do it for a whole menu lol.

the touch screen took me forever to get used to. i can type between 80 and 110 wpm, but that damned touch screen.... i can do ten key too. but the screen is over or under sensitive and you have to hit it just so and things mistype and one of our screens at work is OFF. where you touch is NOT where it goes on the screen.

it's annoying.

i know you'll get it soon though ;)

abi

maybe i should sell avon. according to my calculations, i only need to work 3 hours a week to make my budget on top of my ssdi. of course, more is better. that is $21/week. i think i could make that much from avon probably. i should probably start it at first as a side thing and see how it goes, and if i can earn at least $21 a week consider quitting my job. before i get fired for being stupid anyway ;)

For awhile I was doing reception, and most of my job consisted of answering and directing calls on a multi-line phone. There were 10 incoming lines and about 30 extensions in the office. The procedure for actually transfering the calls was pretty simple, but I had to remember how to do that AND remember who was calling and for whom for each call. It wasn't too bad until I had 3 or 4 lines ringing at a time and had to answer each one, put them on hold, and then go back and track down each person they wanted.

It would have been absolutely impossible to do without a notepad and cheat sheets. I would answer, and then write down the line number, the person they wanted, and the person they were. So like, 1/Dr. Balmforth/Paul. If I did that, then I could put them on hold and pause a second to think if I needed to. I also had cheat sheets everywhere, though. I had a cheat sheet of everyone's family and how to do each thing I had to do on the phone and the stock questions I could answer and their answers.

Do you usually use the same register all day? Is there a way you could make yourself a little cheat sheet of each step and keep it with you? Even after I knew what I had to do, sometimes when things were going fast, it would leave my mind. So I could look down and see my list of how to transfer a call or how to put someone to voicemail.

So if you could print out a step by step for yourself and then laminate it or something and carry it around.... that might make it easier for you.

p.s. I smoke Camel Turkish Silvers, and nobody can ever find them because nobody else in the world smokes them, I guess. I don't judge the cashiers for not knowing. So nobody else should judge, either. If they do, fuck 'em, right?

becca- it is great to hear (well, not great for you, but still reassuring to hear) that someone else experiences office issues. those are some good ideas- things are always fast at the station, there is never a slow time to take my time with a transaction, so i'd always be needing to look down at my instructions. i hope one day i'll either have an easier, less stressful job, or get so used to the register that it will be second nature. AND, i know where your cigarettes are behind our counter. on the back wall on the right.

sensation- i've been a perfume girl in the department store! i quit that job when my menopausal, super-weird boss decided that i had committed some horrible sin of putting away stock when it came when she was out sick and started bitching at me about it. so i went to HR, in tears. they decided that i should just go back down there to work, and didn't say anything to her. well, i wasn't going to take that.

so i told them i was quitting. they asked me not to quit until after the inventory- yeah, right, like i was going to stay and help them with their inventory! so i walked out of there.

now i guess i could always get a new job at a different department store... :)

or, my cousin used to work at a hotel desk. maybe that's the career for me! yeah!

my professional jobs were less stressful than the gas station job. this sucks. i should be ready to go to work full time again at a real job if i can handle part time at this dumb gas station! lol ;)

Hi Loon,

You will get the hang of it! This comes from someone who used to work at a gas station. I got to the point where I had to train new people.

I quit the job though.

I have a habit of quiting after a few months anyway.

Good luck to you,

Selene

this is good to here, because i'm a nervous wreck when i go to work. i wonder everyday if i can handle it, or if i'm going to have to quit. i wonder if it is just my fill-in boss who makes me ultra-nervous, or if it is the nature of my job, or the fact that i feel stupid, or all of the above.

my real boss will be back in a few weeks. she's in some training right now. i think this coming week is our last week with the boss from hell, and then we get another guy. i'm hoping this one will be more agreeable. the current boss is just fake-nice, and i just hate that. i'm happy i don't have to work for at least 2 more days. i don't know what the schedule looks like on sunday because it isn't out yet, but i'm hoping they actually remember that i'm only allowed to make no more than $620/month and with $7/hr that means about 22 hrs/week, and i'd like to work under 20. this seems to be a problem with them, they like to make part-time people work full time hours, but hey, this is my accomodation, so shove it up your ass!

Archived