No housing for me?

I have been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, OCD, PTSD, and Social Phobia.

About a year ago my mentally ill fiance and I went to get on section 8(government housing). We were treated rudely. There was nobody in the waiting room, the women working were just talking to each other and ignoring us. The talked to us and we asked to get on the list of housing and we explained our situation. They told us the list was closed and we need to be married and/or have a child to get on it.

I am almost homeless and I need a place to live. What are my rights as a mentally ill person. What type of benefits can I get? I'm always in and out of the house, I can not work right now.

This time I am just asking for housing for my self.

It really depends on where you live.

You may be able look into social service agencies to help you with some of the paperwork or find out where you need to go.

Here is the main link about section 8 housing:

http://www.hud.gov/offices/pih/programs/hcv/

Here is information about public housing:

http://www.hud.gov/offices/pih/programs/ph/index.cfm

Hope that helps.

they do close lists when there are so many people that the demand cannot be met, and lists are often over a year, maybe even two years long. i was told that my section 8 would come up in 1-2 years, and i have ssdi. i don't know what the rules are for people who are diagnosed but who do not receive disability. i guess it would depend on your income, and the level for qualification for that varies from place to place, as maddy pointed out. i'm not even sure what it is in my area, i just know i'm on the list for it. my tdoc actually did the paperwork for me and put me on the list- i didn't touch any of it myself.

in the meantime, many places, such as my city, have housing that isn't your choice like the section 8 (a program where you get to pick where you live and the gov pays all but 1/3 of your rent), but a housing program where you are regulated to certain places to live, like in the ghettos, and you pay 1/3 there.

i had the opportunity to go to one of those and passed it over to pay over half my ssdi in rent, because i couldn't live in an area with such a terrible crime rate, especially with a car without locking doors!

can you live with a relative or friend and do the couch circuit? it could get you by while you wait for something to come up. i was afraid for awhile that i'd be homeless too because i didn't think my relatives would let me live with them, but my grandparents gave me money to pay my rent for a couple of months until i got a job, and that saved my ass. you never know where your grace may come from.

maybe you will have to go to one of those horrible, high crime rate housing areas and pay 1/3 your income in rent. but at least it is a place to live. you can usually jump right into some place on that list. you just have to call them all to see if there are vacancies. i'm sure some cities have a lower crime rate than mine and even their ghettos would be safer and better than ours.

my family and my fiance's family wants us out!

I guess there is no other choice but to be homeless.

Its annoying how I can't get housing when I need it.

We lived in the ghetto last year, and I am never going back.

Hi,

wouldnt it be better to live in the ghetto than to be homeless? i mean, at least you would have a roof over your head.

right now at 12:35am pacific time, its 30F outside....below freezing where i live. if you were in a room with 4 walls, a roof, and a floor at least you would have some protection from the elements.

I am lucky to have family members who put up with me. or else I'd be living in the ghetto.

db

Hey Tanya. I have been homeless twice and then worked as a homeless advocate for 12 years, now I work doing family services for a state housing agency. PM me and I will tell you what I can about your area. Different areas have different options, but all have some kind of section 8 program. If you need some insight let me know.

Hi,

wouldnt it be better to live in the ghetto than to be homeless? i mean, at least you would have a roof over your head.

right now at 12:35am pacific time, its 30F outside....below freezing where i live. if you were in a room with 4 walls, a roof, and a floor at least you would have some protection from the elements.

I am lucky to have family members who put up with me. or else I'd be living in the ghetto.

db

I've already been homeless, until my mom let me live with her. Living in the ghetto, caused me more anxiety then ever. If I really had to I'd go back..

Archived