CrazyBoards.org

Ativan/Lorazepam

So this morning I just got some Lorazepam/Ativan for panic attacks that I get when I'm sitting in class or on public transport. I basically want to hear of any CB experience of Lorazepam and how helpful you thought it was.

help appreciated

blackbird x

It's supposed to act faster, be less addictive than other benzos.

I didn't like it as much as Valium because it tended to make me a touch nauseated. I've never heard anyone else say that though, so I think I'm a freak.

I love my ativan. <3

I feel like a walking success story, for ativan anyway, because it's completely cut down on the panic attacks and the GAD and it allows me to go into public without practically having a heart attack. I've cut down from pretty much one panic attack per day to one every few weeks, and those pale in comparison. I love being able to go into public places, do stuff, and not have to worry about suddenly stopping breathing and essentially collapsing.

I take 1mg daily, though, which most people don't do. (it's mostly as needed as far as I can tell.)

it's insanely wonderful to be able to handle crowds.

I love my ativan. <3

So this morning I just got some Lorazepam/Ativan for panic attacks that I get when I'm sitting in class or on public transport. I basically want to hear of any CB experience of Lorazepam and how helpful you thought it was.

help appreciated

blackbird x

hi blackbird,

regarding ativan, i used to take it before i switched to klonopin. my dosage was quite low, 0.5mg up to 3x a day PRN.

i thought it was very good, less sedating than klonopin and WAY less sedating than xanax. the only thing is that its kinda weak. but if u need help with panic it is very good as a benzo for anxiety in particular. you might want to figure out how many you are prescribed a day and what the best way to use that dose is to help your panic attacks. it kicks in pretty fast too compared to klonopin.

the reason i switched to klonopin (another fairly low dose) was not because the ativan wasnt effective, but because i found it more convenient to take at regular times to prevent panic attacks. with the ativan it is best to wait until u get really anxious sometimes, although 2x or 3x a day of ativan evenly spaced during the day will work for some people.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was taking 1 mg Ativan and liked it - fast acting and really good for sleep problems. It doesn't last long in the system apparently (about 10-12 hrs) so for anxiety, my pdoc switched to Clonazepam that lasts more like 20 hrs.

I liked ativan too, and still keep it on hand. I like my klonopin better though, probably the longer half-life apterix was mentioning. My experiences with different benzo's:

Klonopin - Great for long term use (may piss off some poeple with this comment)

Ativan - Also good for long term, not as strong, but gets the job done

Valium - wasn't strong enough for me, even at high doses, don't know why, but I still keep it too

xanax - great for short-term use. one doc had me on it for a year, and coming off of it was total hell..still get it prescribed (1mg prn) for times of EXTREME distress, or needle sticks

tranxene - put on this when I went into treatment for alcoholism, don't remember much about it because I was so messed up at the time

just my 2 cents....I'm in a rambling mood today (blaming it on the hydrocodone)

Valium - wasn't strong enough for me, even at high doses, don't know why, but I still keep it too

I noticed this too, or at least the supposed equivalent wasn't enough.

I like Ativan the best, it really agrees with me but switched to Klonopin for the longer half life. I was having trouble with waking anxiety and the Klonopin would hopefully last through the night.

I always have waking anxiety, mornings are my worst time anxiety wise. I keep my morning klonopin dose next to my bed and chew it up in the dark and lay there for half an hour, trying to relax and let it kick in.

Forgot to add..the new generic I get (green 1mg pills) taste alot worse than the yellow ones they gave me before.

• 3 months later...

Love my Ativan. I take 0.5mg to 1mg when I feel a panic attack coming. Been doing this for years. Doesn't make me sleepy. Tried Xanax and Valium both helped at the time but felt very anxious and headachy the next day. Ativan seems to help the day I take it and the day after. Plus no headache. Plus helps me with the god awful cymbalta withdrawal!! Thats my 2 cents for now.

• 3 months later...

I have been taking 1mg ativan 3x a day for over a year, sometimes I skip a day or a week to see if I still can. I wans to switch to clonazepam for possibly lower dosage and longer duration. Any comments?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ursula

help appreciated

blackbird x

Guest Ursula

help appreciated

blackbird x

I just started Lorazepam about 5 days ago, on top of my daily dose of cymbalta. I went on it to stop prolonged anxiety attacks that last all day when triggered. I started with .5 mg 2x/day but was sleepy and foggy. My doc switched me down to .25 mg 3x/day. I feel less sleepy. But I haven't encountered any of my usual triggers yet, so it's tough to tell if it's going to help with the major episodes. I am still having nightly anxiety dreams, but I am not as upset when i wake up from them, and I'd say that is a helpful result of going on the Ativan so far.

I loved Ativan, took it prn for acute anxiety. It works quickly and well. Eventually, I switched to Klonopin, because I felt it had less potential for addiction (purely my own feeling, not anything medical I've read) - it comes on slower and gentler, whereas Ativan, you can feel it kick in and wear off. Ativan takes your anxiety and kind of forces it to sit down in a chair, whereas Klonopin is more like a hand on the shoulder, saying, "Everything is going to be okay." So it depends on your needs and preference. Klonopin is also much longer-lasting, which I liked.

But... I often miss Ativan ;) I know a few people who have both, using Ativan for acute anxiety attacks and Klonopin for GAD.

I basically want to hear of any CB experience of Lorazepam and how helpful you thought it was.

I love my ativans! THey save me daily form certain destruction. I have been taking one to two daily for some time now. They last all day and help me get through it all ( I have a job with sometimes intense public interaction). Thank you ativan!

Archived