CrazyBoards.org

This board is awesome. ;) Anyway on to my next questions,

Is it "normal" when experiencing a psychotic break to experience almost a personality change. For some reason I can tell when I'm about to lose it. When things happen there is almost like a loud bang in my head and my ears start ringing or there is a loud hum. Then there are many sounds that I hear such as children screaming and crying or cat yowling etc.. But im used to that. been happening for so long. But what I am not used to is the "personality" change. When these times happen I get so much rage, so much anger, and I want to take revenge and hurt the ones I love. During this stage my body feels liek it burning, on fire, you know when you get soo angry u can feel like a huge blush going through your body. During this time also, Homer (my main voice, hate him hate the name) starts telling me that they will never understand, they dont care for you, they dont love you, they despise you, they feel sorry for you, you dont deserve to be here, your making youre family fall apart.. etc. I get enraged, but I never take it out on anyone but myself, and when I do I calm down almost immediately. I just want to know is it normal during a break for an almost chnage in the personality?

cady4evr

A normal psychotic break is a bit of an oxymoron... but what you describe is common...

Does your pdoc know about these thoughts and feelings? Do you ever feel as though you may act on them? Are you speaaking of current events or trying to make sense of past experiences with psychosis?

I don't know what country your in so don't know your health carre system but if it's current make sure your pdoc knows, if they don't already then ring them, there's always the ER, mental health crisis lines and what ever else help there is in your land... these things are often printed on the back of your next appointment card or something similar.

Somethinng I can't commennt on is the combo of psychhosis + OCD which you mentioned in your last post so maybe also post oon the ocd board because that can also complicate things further.

I think I forgot to say welcome to the boards on your last thread... I think there's afew psychotic depression folk around here but they tend to be quiet round this board... but they are around somewhere.

Is it "normal" when experiencing a psychotic break to experience almost a personality change. For some reason I can tell when I'm about to lose it. When things happen there is almost like a loud bang in my head and my ears start ringing or there is a loud hum. Then there are many sounds that I hear such as children screaming and crying or cat yowling etc.. But im used to that. been happening for so long. But what I am not used to is the "personality" change. When these times happen I get so much rage, so much anger, and I want to take revenge and hurt the ones I love. During this stage my body feels liek it burning, on fire, you know when you get soo angry u can feel like a huge blush going through your body. During this time also, Homer (my main voice, hate him hate the name) starts telling me that they will never understand, they dont care for you, they dont love you, they despise you, they feel sorry for you, you dont deserve to be here, your making youre family fall apart.. etc. I get enraged, but I never take it out on anyone but myself, and when I do I calm down almost immediately. I just want to know is it normal during a break for an almost chnage in the personality?

cady4evr

Certainly with schizoaffective disorder it would be common to experience a change in personality regularly along with the normal schizophrenic symptoms.

What you describe is intense but not overly abnormal for someone with schizophrenia - because the voices can change and your response to them can change - whether that be a fluctuation or whatever kind of pattern.

This is the kind of stuff and level you should be talking with a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist. Its hard to differentiate through the noise and make sense of it all yourself.

As for major changes in personality with schizophrenia alone, im not sure you are describing changes in personality. Changes in your thought patterns and hearing different voices doesnt necessarily mean a change in personality, even if you feel different. I mean, what is personality anyway other than a self guided projection to the rest of the world, to other people.

Personality disorders are another matter and with these fluctuations in personality would be expected.

Alright, Im new here. I have been diagnosed as having Psychotic Depression and OCD.

Hey cady, dont know if your stil around but I thouht I'd put this quote from your other thread just to clear things up a bit as you don't list your dx in our sig...

I won't say anything else cos I'm a good boy

Is it "normal" when experiencing a psychotic break to experience almost a personality change.

When I start to get manic, I get anxious and irritable. I'm like a different person, snapping at people, when I'm usually pretty mellow. I'm not like myself when I'm psychotic. I'm hyperaware, but also easily distracted.

Yes, i think you can have a personality change when you have a psychotic break.

I think this board is awesome, too

Archived