job interview tomorrow

Hi All,

I have a job interview tomorrow. This is great except:

A) I am extremely nervous and need some tips.

B ) I haven't worked since August 2005. What reasons do I give for this? Is "illness" too general? What happens if/when they ask?

C) I don't know if I should ask up front if the manager will be accommodating of a student's schedule?

If anyone can offer any advice (before tomorrow at 12pm ET, haha), I would really, really, really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Congratulations on snagging the interview!

- Relax, try to smile and look them in the eye. Remember the person interviewing you is going to be nervous too.

- You haven't had that long a break in work. If you've been in school tell them that. If not just tell them that you decided to take a break from the hectic pace.

- Don't put obstacles or start asking for special conditions up front. Let them take the lead on the interview to begin with. When school comes up or the talk turns the job, then would be a good time to ask. I always looked favorablyl on people who were going to school because it showed above average initiative.

Good luck, knock 'em dead!

a.m.

A) I am extremely nervous and need some tips.
my tongue in cheek advice is the same i gave mynate.... have you seen invader zim? http://youtube.com/results?search_query=in...p;search=Search

pretend you are zim talking to the tallest. *grin*

mostly, just try to be relaxed. i always try to think positively - they are interviewing me after seeing my resume so there is already something about me they DO like.... i know i'm a good employee and work hard... there are other jobs out there, so my whole life is NOT hanging on this one interview....

B ) I haven't worked since August 2005. What reasons do I give for this? Is "illness" too general? What happens if/when they ask?

either you were in school, or something else healthy sounding. if you were "ill" your manager is going to wonder if you are really up to the task of working.

i told my manager that i was married and didn't need to work, but after getting divorced needed a job. that was understood. i didn't mention that me and my ex are both female, were both on disability, and got divorced at the same time as i lost disability :) she was VERY understanding because she'd been divorced lol.

C) I don't know if I should ask up front if the manager will be accommodating of a student's schedule?

i would mention immediately that you are in school. the managers i know have all said they felt like they were shit on when someone said they had a flexible schedule, and then threw in all sorts of restrictions due to school. some places will flat out NOT accomodate (mynate had trouble finding a job willing to do so when he was in school) and it's better to know that right away!

school is the one thing most places are pretty happy to accomodate. some statistic somewhere shows that students are better at staying at one job long term than non students because they're too busy to job hunt lol. anyway, most employers are decent about school.

although air marshall is probably right that they should bring the topic up.

don't mention you're nuts though ;) just a student :cussing: although all students are nuts...

good luck! i think you'll do awesome :wtf:

abi

Archived