My Uncle

Raquin

i don't blame you for not liking him. but you're doing the right thing by being polite and cordial. there is nothing to say that you need to speak to him at all, however it seems that you do want to, just not very much. he's not an important, central figure in your life.

he's probably bitter because of his handicap, and feels that he has the right to torment everyone else because he's tormented. he probably sees the world as a very cruel and uncaring place because of his condition, and then because of his attitude causing him life problems, that only validate his theory that the world sucks. i think for him it is a cycle of him feeling like life sucks because of his handicap, to projecting his bad attitude out to the world, and the world responds with ;) , and treats him like he treats them, and then he gets pie in the face and wonders why, and so blames the world and becomes more embittered.

don't feel like you have to be his best friend. maintain the distance you are comfortable with. don't feel the obligation to speak to him if you don't want to, or even if there are just times you'd prefer not to. i don't think anyone should be obligated to do something that makes them miserable or upsets them just because the other person is family.

it seems like he needs an attitude adjustment. if he could have that, then maybe the cycle could be reversed. but until then, it seems like he is making his own misfortune.

loon

at least he didn't have children of his own to torment?

how is your mother dealing with all of this?

a lot of assholes don't remember being assholes. if everything that goes wrong is because of his handicap, i'm sure he's delusional enough to have forgotten ever having said anything rude to you.

• 1 month later...

my uncle's kinda crazy like that too. and I work for him. and he's not even a blood-relative uncle, he's just my father's best friend of 39 years and my father's younger brother's wife's sister's uncle. amazing that him and Dad are the same age. =P

he's just my father's best friend of 39 years and my father's younger brother's wife's sister's uncle.

;) i have no idea how you got that out straight.

what happened that made him (the uncle in question) suddenly get so mean? was there a trigger to it??

abi

he's just my father's best friend of 39 years and my father's younger brother's wife's sister's uncle.

;) i have no idea how you got that out straight.

what happened that made him (the uncle in question) suddenly get so mean? was there a trigger to it??

abi

actually I didn't get it right... he's my father's younger brother's wife's brother's wife's uncle... I knew there were two marriages interspersed there, but I forgot where. If he were what I'd just said above, you could just simplify that to him being my father's younger brother's aunt's uncle.

and no, nothing that I know of triggered him into acting like a jerk. he has some very Aspie-like tendencies and has a knack for telling VERY inappropriate jokes. when he was younger, he would blow up at (the older) cousin at the smallest provocation. what triggered all this I don't know, for all I care, he was like this his whole life...

Archived