Christmas dread

Is the fast approaching season affecting anyone else? I am already starting to feel stressed about all the obligations of Christmas, the social contact with people, the lack of pdoc/doctors availability, the whole general concept! I'd love it to be the season of peace and joy for me, as a Christian, but it is more like the season of flashing lights, drunk rowdy people and being broke from all your frantic Christmas shopping. Any ideas on how to destress? I am finding I already want to hide under the duvet and it is only the 2 nd of December!

I feel the same way. I'm trying to muster up the will to put some Christmas lights outside today, hoping that will help my mood. I always like the lights. They make things seem kind of magical.

But I am stressing about the socializing. I'm glad that I have things to go to with friends, BUT I am always a nervous wreck, even with klonopin, even with beer and klonopin. Even though these are mostly people I've known for a few months.

I'm so glad I see my therapist on Tuesday. This is the first appt for several months, and, boy, do I need it.

We'll all get through this season somehow.

ah pressures

yep I feel them

a thought comforting to me is

I've survived more financially difficult times

I do love the sappy movies

reminding us that it's all about the spirit

surviving and loving

other than that there are 2 threads I believe of folks who enjoy Christmas Holidays...in Springer section...but not sure if we're suppose to crosspost info about /or otherwise recommend other threads?

I'll be watching this thread for other's recommendations re: de-stressing

in one thread about christmas, we were discussing things we didn't like about how the holiday is celebrated like 2 months before it happens and how we withstand some of the insanity.

someone mentioned using an ipod in the mall to avoid hearing the christmas music. for me, it is just the repetition, over and over the same songs year after year that stresses me out.

my coping strategy is to keep it simple. instead of cooking we go to buffet places, instead of a lot of elaborate decorations i have a martha steward tree that is about 3 feet tall and is pre-lit, and i already put the ornaments on it last year so i didn't even have to decorate it. all i had to do was take it out of the closet and plug it in. instant christmas decoration. and the only christmas decoration in my apartment. i don't get into it very much. i was thinking about actually putting christmas lights in the window, but decided it is too much work.

my family knows i'm on disability so not to expect gifts from me, but this year i'm going to give them cookies. that's one stress i don't have to worry about (finding people gifts). even though finding gifts, when you have the money, is fun.

do your shopping online and avoid the traffic and crowds. when i was working and had the money to buy gifts i did most of the shopping online. besides, the mall had christmas music and the picture with santa stuff, so my own home was more condusive anyway.

Hi All,

this year I am really excited about christmas....but i havent really talked too much about it recently - especially on my springer thread. but i do like christmas.

and its also my birthday month. so yeah me!!

some of the social aspects im ignoring - like going to a xmas party i was invited to. and shopping. i need to get stuff....but need to do it in the middle of the week when the corporate types are working...that way the mall will be less full.

now getting a ride to the mall is a diff story....hopefully i'll buy that car ive been talking about. or else i'll have to pay my brother. he doesnt do "leisure driving" for free. his words. i still love him.

happy holidays,

december

For me, a socio-phobe. The two worst things are avoiding alcohol which is everywhere and the expected socialization...I'm kind of sick with dread and I hate making my sweetie do all the socializing by himself.

I like doing the tree.,...the house lights...the small amount of shopping I can do is all fine....but I am stressed about who I will be spending the holidays with....nobody I really WANT to see just obligations because of my bf...so its sucks in that respect and I suffer anxiety too so that adds to the whole deal.....You know, I have to look smashing...I have to FEEL well....I have to be kind and helpful and overlook snotty comments and stuff...his mom and dad are ok but the rest of them just suck.....so yeah I am stressed....My cure all will be a shit load of Valium

I used to love Christmastime.

This year, I don't really know how I'm going to get through it.

I've had the boxes and bins of Christmas decorations sitting in my family room for a week and a half. I can't bring myself to put them up. I just feel no joy, no excitement. I don't even want to see them. I will put them up because I know my kids want them.

My doctor told me to keep the stress down by buying Christmas gifts early. Buy them online, she said. Okay. I've done that. I still wander around the mall aimlessly with my iPod when my kids are with their dad or busy online or whatever. I'm lonely, lonely, lonely. Having strangers wandering around me feels oddly comforting, I guess. I'm pathetic.

I did buy myself a Christmas moose made out of tree bark yesterday, though.

I am dreading it.

But I do every year.

I get so lonely this time of year.

I look at all the people and how they just seem to "know" how to interact.

And how I am just at the threshold just watching them all.

It's such a harsh reminder that I'm just watching life

and not really living it.

Hmmm...My boyfriend and I can relate. We talked about going aways to the mountains, just us. We talked obout our belief that the event is about the birth of Christ. We decided to change our thoughts at anytime.

And we can choose to not to do most of the things that we don't want to. All really.

Rhonda

Archived