Car Crash!

Loon-A-TiK

today i was pulling out of a grocery store parking lot, with a lot of cars and tall vans parked on the side of the road, obstructing my view. i looked at the light and saw that it was red, so i mistakenly thought the coast would be clear and i drove out onto the street, only to get into a fender bender with a city van!

the damage to the van is so minimal. the city lawyer said they won't even worry about it if they look at it and agree that it isn't anything to be concerned with. they also said i could either pay for damages myself or make an insurance claim if i want, that it wouldn't matter.

now my car, on the other hand, isn't exactly scratch free. the plastic covering my front yellow light is broken, and there is a little bit of body damage. it isn't that bad though.

no one was hurt.

;):):cussing: i know better than to do what i did. i know that is a dangerous driveway. i know that without being able to see down the street that i shouldn't just chance it. that was a stupid thing to do! i drive very well, but sometimes make stupid mistakes due to risky behavior. due to risky behavior i totalled my mom's car back in may.

does anyone else have a habit of getting into traffic accidents?

i had so many stupid near misses and fender benders and just stupid shit that i no longer am allowed to drive (by personal choice) and have had two pdocs say that if they didn't know i refuse to allow us to drive they would have been legally required to pull my license lol. that's cuz of hallucinations and switching (littles shouldn't drive ;) neither should young teenagers :) )

abi

I never got into a lot of accidents, but when I did...WOO. They were car crushers.

Like go off into ravines, end-over-enders, cart-wheelers...I could be my own stunt driver!

And I always walked away. Once I spun all the way down an exit ramp, but I managed to keep control of the vehicle and corrected it and kept on going right down the freeway.

But once I realized that my seizures were totally out of control I gave up driving completely on my own. Which wasn't so bad when I lived in town and could travel by shitty bus. But way out here, I don't have that luxury. Oh well.

I've only had one serious accident. I got T-boned by another car crossing an intersection. It was my fault, I rolled through the stop sign. Nobody was hurt, but both cars were totaled. If my pdoc knew about what goes on in my head in a car, I wouldn't be able to drive.

I drive super careful now. I'm the poster boy for defensive driving. I also stay off the freeways. they freak me out too much.

Well, I'm pretty happy go lucky about it. I drive a lot and I crash a little and I go on my merry way. Hahaha.

I've only ever caused one accident that involved another (moving) car, luckily. But I tend to hit posts and mailboxes and parked cars. Hahahaha. I banged up the front of my car really bad and then seriously completely forgot that I even did it or that it was any different and drove it home a few weeks later... and people kept asking me what the fuck happened to the car. Heh.

I backed the passenger side mirror into a post so slightly that it bent the plastic part so perfectly that the plastic didn't break, but bent in just enough that the glass part popped out and shattered on the concrete. Oops.

I've never driven a car that was in 100% perfect working order, so for me if the thing still runs, we're good.

I don't think I'm gonna get my license. I have some minor OCD tendencies (must-touch-that-restaurant-table-where-people-i-don't-know-are-dining...) that could be dangerous when driving. Plus it's freaking scary taking a ride with friends my age, so imagine ME driving.

Public transport isn't that bad around here.

abi- it's probably for the best that you don't drive- yes, littles and young teens probably shouldn't be driving! i don't have that to blame for my inattentive/risk-taking driving, just poor judgement.

maddy- you're damned lucky! i'd be dead by now if i were you. once i spun around in donuts on ice on the highway and smacked into the median, and my car and i were totally fine. but that was the end of stunt driving for me (knocks on wood)

VE- i understand

sdjeff- if our pdocs only knew!

becca- since we both drive crappy cars, it is a good thing that we don't care if our cars get fucked up! luckily (or unluckily) for me, i don't have accidents with immobile objects as much as mobile ones. that isn't to say that i haven't scraped the side of the car on the side of the building before, knocked off my share of mirrors, or smashed the side of the car into a post. by the time i totalled my mom's car in may, i had already damaged it pretty good. i want a new car but am afraid to get one- i can't even keep this $600 piece of crap in shape, what am i going to do with a new car? but thankfully you're ok every time. please, keep hitting mailboxes and not people!

themind- thank you. i'm happy too!

helena- it is good that you live in an area where you can get around by public transportation. here it would be virtually impossible to live without a car. i live far enough away from my family that they'd bitch about having to come and pick me up too, and while i could walk to the grocery store, it is about half a mile and in the snow with groceries, that wouldn't be too much fun.

last year i didn't have a car during the winter because my car was stolen in the fall, so i was doing the walking to the grocery store thing and all of that. my mom felt bad for me and shared her car wtih me, and so i had a few mishaps with her car that i blamed on people hitting me while parked on the street.

once, i scrapped my mom's car on a cart while in a parking lot. my dad had the best solution- magic marker! so my sister and i went up to the store and bought the right shade of green for my mom's car, and like magic, the scrape was gone.

fastforward 3 hours- it started to rain...my mom asked me why there was this scrape on her car...ooops! dad ended up taking teh blame for that one (my parents were divorced).

I'm a terrible driver, cyclist, white water canoest, horse back rider....... What stop sign? Was that a rock or a person? I constantly fall just walking. An accident waiting to happen. I don't live in my own body.

Glad to hear that you are alright Loon.

I just got into an accident a week ago that sounds pretty similar to yours (I knocked out the same light as you), and was also my fault. I sideswiped a car trying to switch from a backed-up immobile lane to the one I wanted. I was like WTF, where did that car come from? I looked before I switched so I don't get how it happened but whatever. No one was hurt, thank god.

I just moved to an urban area from a rural ass one and the driving is nuts. I hate urban drivers. People are always honking their horns here and it startles me and makes me even more self-conscious about my driving.

Archived