CrazyBoards.org

how long was your longest symptom-free period?

How long was the longest time you were symptom-free? I've heard of people having remissions that lasted years, and people who never get any remission.

I remember that things were good fall my sophomore year for several months. More recently, I've been in a level-mood state with no cognitive problems (for the first time in several years) for about nine days. I don't expect it to last but I'm very grateful for it.

totally symptom free or mostly symptom free?

i haven't been to the hospital since november '05 and haven't been to the ER since june '06

but i've had a couple of depressions thrown in there

i'd say i've been ok (depression free) for about a month, but all-in-all pretty stable since june, considering how bad i do get.

I've been basicallly stable for about a year when I was briefly hospitalized for a lame attempt at suicide (I took four Lamictal - oh the headache). Since then I have been in remission, I guess you could call it. I was still depressed until they added the Wellbutrin several months ago. But no mania. I know how to nip hypomania in the bud with Klonopin. But basically I've been stable. No major mood swings. Watch, I probably just jinxed myself! I'd better knock on wood!

I could probably say I have been pretty stable for a year or so--but I am so fucking suseptible to "situational depression"--stuff that would lay out a "normal" person, as my pdoc says.

So--gosh, maybe never. College? (the first time)??? Nah, took diet pills--high school? possibly. But I don't think it counts when you are too young and stupid to even know if you are depressed or not, and live in this Beaver Cleaver world and everything's groovy.

china

a 2 month period after stopping medication was when i felt the most stable. No medication hangover, no mania, no depression, i felt normal. that was a year ago. Shortly after that things began again, and again and again. now i just try take it one day at time and try to keep everything in perspective, depression can be overcome by just a shred of hope. Mania well, nothing can stop that and besides why would you want to.

Two years and counting. I don't think it is a remission- I think it is damn good meds. That, and really working to recognize the little triggers, fluctuations, etc. and learning how to head them off.

Before that? I don't think I was ever symptom free before that.

I've gone several years without an episode on a number of occassions but that was when I was in my twenties and thirties and I could get away without medication for a year or two sometimes...although I don't think I was entirely symptom free I was not having psychosis. I cycle more rapidly now but...

the meds really do help.

I've been acceptably stable since about June '06. This excludes a few phenomena:

1. Cognitive Difficulties. Mainly of the verbal style. I still cannot put clauses (and sometime sentences!) in the right order and can either come of as not making sense, or worse yet, offending people. I have a sense that this issue is permanent, and related to 'physical' brain damage. With this, I also have the problem of partial aphasia, also known as the "tip of the tongue" problem. This results in me having to resort to circumlocution (such as the time i referred to my favorite sport, cycling, as "riding a road bike really fast").

2. Dealing with family, especially mom. i've been resilient to the rejection sensitivity when she tells me that I was an incredibly difficult child to raise and she had no other choice but to emotionally abuse me, This resilience courtey of Cymbalta. Nonetheless, it hurts, and it brings me down. Also note that my mother is a fucking idiot.

-

(reacting solely to your topic title)

BAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

(wipes tears of laughing)

BAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

Ok let me catch my breath....

'Bout a week? But I'm always building up or coming down.

Tdoc asks me when the last time I felt stable. (see large font above) I tell her when I was 4.

More and more I think I'm convinced that I'm doing a lot better than I actually am or that I am just being really unaware of my symptoms.

It's a really big problem that I don't know I have a problem until it's massive and taking up most of my life. But the point of this thread:

I don't really remember when I was actually stable. Like, ok I feel alright and reasonably "normal" and was able to look back and think I was acting normal and not being stupid or miserable or risky.

There are a few times that are a couple days long where nothing really stands out except that it seems like a normal memory, but I don't know if that is really stability.

I am not sure if it is just because I feel like I have been working on things [or should have been] for so long or this is actually how it is.

LR

Archived