This has always been a debatable subject for me personally. I can't say pot led to anything else, but getting into it leads to hanging out with people who do other stuff. I have always been able to "Just Say No" (thank you Nancy Reagan and Diff'rent Strokes) to other stuff. 1 becasue I like pot so much and am scared to see if I like, say, crack just as much - and 2 because the 1 time I smoked stuff laced w/. PCP w/o my knowing it it was baaaaaaaad. I am not meant to hallucinate. I can't take it. And me on speed? Please. Suicide waiting to happen.

I also know that I have a problem w/ pot - I just like it too much and my brain can't take the mass quantities I want. Combo of OCD about hating the feeling of coming down so smoking way too much and too often, liking the feeling because it relaxes me (at first - then it will make me manic- I think depending on strain...), and my standard addiction/abuse/self medicating thing.

I will probably never give up smoking altogether. I just have to be caredul not to smoke all day every day for months on end. 'Cause I can and will.

Some parents panic because the first thought they have is "Hey, is this MY STASH?!?!"

Admit it. I've known some parents like that.

My friend's parents found her stash and were pretty mad. Later she and her brother finds it in the parents' bedroom, with way less in the bag than when they seized it.

my dad just did everything. i don't think that smoking pot suddenly opened up this door for him that gave him the bright idea to go into his other drug experimentations- he just did. i know a lot of people like that. they may not have even tried pot first before going to something harder.

that's great about the parents finding her stash and then it being recovered with less in it than when it was seized! ;) there are some people out there...it makes you wonder, is it just that they freaked that it was their child, or that they wanted the stash for themselves? :)

Well, the ridiculous thing about the "gateway drug" theory to me is that the powers that be treat it as if all drugs were the same or had some similar desired effect. Like, if you like being stoned, you'll like being on crack x 50 or something. When it obviously doesn't work like that. I love pot and I could care less for coke, because they're different drugs with different effects.

That study is a little weird, though. They only tracked alcohol, tobacco, and marijuana use. So does it even say much about the gateway drug theory?

This, though:

While the gateway theory posits that each type of drug is associated with certain specific risk factors that cause the use of subsequent drugs, such as cigarettes or alcohol leading to marijuana, this study

i dont agree that its a gateway drug. i've done my share of drugs and by far, pot has helped me the most. sad, i know.

i really like smoking, it helps me with my appetite and calms me down. im not on meds yet, so this is sort of like my substitute.

i dont agree that its a gateway drug. i've done my share of drugs and by far, pot has helped me the most. sad, i know.

i really like smoking, it helps me with my appetite and calms me down. im not on meds yet, so this is sort of like my substitute.

definately. pot has many medicinal quantities. i dont suggest people smoke, but i like the effects it has. too much of anything is no good, but pot is a very safe drug, but should be approached with caution for MI people.

I have never smoked pot and would never smoke pot (at least regularly) due to the somewhat well researched fear of precpitation of Sz and various psychoses. AAP-induced akathisia is about the last thing I need now.

Please don't get me into our government's war on plants that happen to have a few chemicals that they don't like for some reason or another.

Before you read the following, now, please note that I'm pretty pro-pharmaceutical industry and intend to work for a pharma, or a biotech, after getting my Master's. Nonetheless, there's a good reason that the following text is in green.

Synthetic (lab-made) THC (the active ingredient in MJ) is a legal, Schedule III drug in the US, which is used to treat chemotherapy-induced nausea when all other drugs (including the expensive 5HT3 antagonists) have failed. The price of one month's supply of this substance, known as drabinol or Marinol, is around $900-1500 per month, depending on the dosage required. Chew on (or smoke) that.

That study is a little weird, though. They only tracked alcohol, tobacco, and marijuana use. So does it even say much about the gateway drug theory?

I suspect it's hard to get people to open up about illicit "hard" drug use and other drug abuses, so that would limit the ability to

reliably track what pot can gateway to. Also, some of the seriously mindbending drugs just are not that popular or not addictive

in the long-term to the extent that nicotine and alcohol are. That makes it harder to randomly find the addict population even in a

broad survey.

Personally, I'd think that a better correlation could be shown for cigarette smoking and pot smoking.

If you separated out self-medication-related abuse, I'm not sure you'd see much "gateway" action at all. Instead of one abuse

invariably leading to yet another, any experimentation path might lead to someone finding their Drug of Choice.

They only tracked alcohol, tobacco, and marijuana use.

Hmmm. Alcohol as a gateway drug. Would that be white zinfandel perchance? Start out with a wine cooler and the next thing you know, you're sipping 20 year old scotch.

Thread over; Greeny wins.

=P

Archived