Anyone know anything? Is it even available in the US? It's new here. From what I've read about it, it seems to have a similar action on dopamine as Zyban, but mainly blocking nicotine receptors. It's apparently more effective than Zyban. With equally scary side effects, but what med hasn't?

I'm DESPERATE to quit smoking. I'm up to a pack a day now and I really can't afford it and I'm coughing like hell. But I just looove cigarettes and everytime I try to quit I get really depressed and anxious.

I had a hypomanic reaction to Zyban, so I'm not sure if it even would be an option. Of course, I would talk to my pdoc first and preferably have her prescribe it instead of a GP. But any input before I bring it up would be appreciated.

I don't know anything directly about it, but here are some links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varenicline

http://www.chantix.com/content/Chantix_Bra...ed_Homepage.jsp

Sorry I'm not much help.

<Edited to add>

Am I the only one who finds it hilarious the FLATULANCE is one of the side-effects?

You can either offend people by blowing offensive odors out one end by smoking,

or you can take this pill to quit...and offend others by blowing offensive odors out the OTHER end.

Just a thought.

Thanks, I checked out their official website. The "medical professional's PI sheet", the patient ones suck; "There are tiny little messengers in your brain!! One of them is called dopamine."

So from what I've read it seems to only affect nicotine receptors, blocking nicotine from getting in but also acting a bit like nicotine, giving your receptors a small, constant "kick".

The statistics say it's more beneficial than Zyban. The numbers are always pretty negative with smokers, but it looks like it might be worth a shot at least.

Any personal or anecdotal experiences?

Big problem is... I don't really want to quit smoking.

Am I the only one who finds it hilarious the FLATULANCE is one of the side-effects?

You can either offend people by blowing offensive odors out one end by smoking,

or you can take this pill to quit...and offend others by blowing offensive odors out the OTHER end.

I suspect this is not a SIDE effect, rather an intended effect. If have flatulence and don't stop smoking you may blow yourself up!

a.m. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

me and SG might want to try this drug for smoking cessation. from the PI sheet, it says it binds to alpha4beta2 subtype of the nicotinic cholinergic receptor (and it is an agonist of that receptor, like nicotine, but weaker). it is also competitive with nicotine so it partially blocks the effects of smoking. im wondering if it might also help ADHD, since nicotine helps ADHD (through some effect of nicotinic receptors on dopamine release). it is also has a much higher success rate than zyban/wellbutrin (or so the trials say), (EDITED) and was put on the fast track to approval by the FDA due to its high safety profile.

the PI sheet seems to indicate the main side effect is nausea. hopefully its not too bad..

also i think the US name for this drug is chantix, not chamipix ;)

I've tried everyting to quit smoking on the market. Couldn't do wellbutrin (zyban) manic response, did the patch, the gum, and last october really gave the commit losenge a shot. Still didn't do the trick. I'm a 2 pack a day smoker, it's caused major health problems, and I still haven't quit, nor do I forsee it in my future. For me, I think it's more of a mental addiction to having something in my hand, something to inhale, to calm me. I've made it past those 3 days they say it takes the nicotine to get out of your system, but I still craved cigarettes like a heroin junkie. Most people have told me that the only way to really quit is to really want to quit, and to do it cold turkey. Certainly not an response you want to hear I'm sure, but that's been my experience so far.

• 1 month later...
I've tried everyting to quit smoking on the market. Couldn't do wellbutrin (zyban) manic response, did the patch, the gum, and last october really gave the commit losenge a shot. Still didn't do the trick. I'm a 2 pack a day smoker, it's caused major health problems, and I still haven't quit, nor do I forsee it in my future. For me, I think it's more of a mental addiction to having something in my hand, something to inhale, to calm me. I've made it past those 3 days they say it takes the nicotine to get out of your system, but I still craved cigarettes like a heroin junkie. Most people have told me that the only way to really quit is to really want to quit, and to do it cold turkey. Certainly not an response you want to hear I'm sure, but that's been my experience so far.

I've been using it for about 5 weeks now and it is the best thing I've used so far (nic gum and nic patches failed due to the roller coaster effect, never tried welbutrin or zyban)

I'd been able to quit for a few weeks before (and I do still have the occasional craving even with the pill) but overall it's been a great experience. No oral replacement with food needed and the occasional cravings pass quickly. No nausea but don't underestimate the side effect of flatulance. Luckily I started taking the pill the same time I started telecommuting. (at least lucky for my co-workers, I still have to suffer the side effects).

I do notice though on the occasional day which I have to go into work that the cravings are more pronounced, probably due to the psychological surroundings and habits that I established there. I WAS a pack a day smoker and had been smoking for about 30 years.

I might add that every attempt to quit in the past was accompanied with the occasional 'cheating'. With chantix I have not needed to cheat. Cravings are not persistant or strong.

One thing in common with nic patches is the wierd dreams, not as bad, but still there. I keep 'dreaming' of smoking ;) I guess that's healthier though.

Last thing, you start the first weeks pills while you are still smoking (and can continue into the second week if needed) that was nice for me to be able to taper off and smoke the rest of the packs that I had laying around the house.

By the time the second week rolled around I had already cleaned out all of my 'hidden' caches and was able to settle into the full effects of the drug. (first week is half dosage)

update: chantix - worked for me!

started around my earlier post, and after three weeks i forgot to keep taking it, and i havent touched a cigarette. still have to watch out for cues that make me feel like a smoke. mostly just drinking though makes me want the nicotine. i still smoke pot semi-regularly and thats fine.

I'm so glad you quit! I think I might ask my pdoc about it, but probably not until I'm sober for at least month of alcohol. I really need to shed these habits now more than ever, and I'll use whatever means necessary. A side effect of gas could be a fun way to irritate my co-workers.

• 2 years later...

Chantix is FDA approved drug and is used to get over smoking habit. It works on the body by giving you the same feel good effect and hence reduces the craving for nicotine. You can have all the information on chantix here http://www.chantixhome.com/ Person using chantix mainly encounter sleeplessness, change of taste and headache, but these side effects diminish with time. So people should consult there physician before going for this medicine.

Well done!

I quit with a support group and patches last October and haven't looked back after a 20 yr 20-40 a day habit.

Some others in the group used Champix and they are still not smoking.

They, like me, noticed they stopped thinking about it, they had less cravings for food and alcohol, too.

One guy had tried Zyban and said Champix's side effects were nowhere near as bad.

good luck!

Well done!

I quit with a support group and patches last October and haven't looked back after a 20 yr 20-40 a day habit.

Some others in the group used Champix and they are still not smoking.

They, like me, noticed they stopped thinking about it, they had less cravings for food and alcohol, too.

One guy had tried Zyban and said Champix's side effects were nowhere near as bad.

good luck!

My mom and 3 of her siblings used it and have been of the smokes for almost 2 years now. I think they stayed on it for about 6 months and my mom was terrified to stop taking the Chantix but she did and is doing really well. I took it for 3 weeks and almost had a psychotic break so be careful with it and let your docs know if you start getting homicidal urges or anything like that.

It works really well for a lot of people and it did get me of the smokes (20+ years pack a day here). I just almost needed to be hospitalized but I react weird to some meds.

• 2 months later...

I was not that depressed or suicidal when I started taking Champix. After a week or two I didn't want cigarettes at all. The idea grossed me out. The effect the drug had on my nicotine addiction was more pronounced than Zyban or Nicotine Replacement Therapies (patches etc.) but the side-effects I experienced were intolerable.

I became extremely depressed and angry and just wanted to die (wasn't suicidal at all at initiation of Champix). I was planning to kill myself but I stopped taking the tablets and started smoking and feeling a lot better.

I was on Chantix for only 6 weeks this winter, and couldn't take it anymore. I don't know if it was the nicotine withdrawal or the Chantix, but I was really irritable and depressed, more than usual.

Although I only took it for 6 weeks, I'm still nicotine free. It's been 4 months since I quit.

Good job Ben.

I couldn't do the chantix either. It made me feel like I had quit cold turkey but I was still smoking. Weird. It made me incredibly irritable and I don't do irritable well, so I stopped taking it and used the patch, which worked. I haven't smoked a cigarette in almost two months. But it's fucking hard as hell to quit.

Archived