CrazyBoards.org

How many of you take benzos everyday?

In the US it seems like these drugs are handed out like sweeties.  Hell, I even heard somebody on this board getting xanax for Paxil withdrawl effects - I would have to be dying of an anxiety attack to get this drug.

I take benzo's for a complex eye problem (that I'm not even going to get into) that causes me tremendous amounts of pain.  This is no problem because I low dose will solve the problem quite easily.  60 (5mg) diazapam tablets will last me 4 months - I only take it when I feel that the pain is too much.

I also suffer from horrible anxiety and panic attacks and there isn't a damn thing that I can do about it.  I won't even ask my doctor for a large supply of a benzo in case he thinks that I am abusing his trust (and he may not even be allowed to give me large amounts or repeat prescriptions).  I have been on SSRIs which help the anxiety but not the panic attacks, but am now on Effexor (does nothing for my anxiety).  Perhaps I will try beta blockers.

I've posted on the anxiety board but I would like this topic to remain here.  How many of you takers are allowed to use a benzo everyday?  Just curious, because I am going to have a serious talk with my psychiatrist about this.  It would probably be far better for me to have a slight addiction (as in a dependance issue - not abuse) to a benzo than to go on in this ridiculous condition.

I'm in the UK by the way.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what it is about the pdocs there. From everything I've heard, they don't do polypharmacology and they don't do benzos. It makes no sense to me at all. Lots of medications can potentially be addictive or abused.

My anxiety level doesn't really interfere with my life. My pdoc has been hinting at anxiety for a while, but it's only been more recently that I'm starting to see what he's talking about. I finally agreed to try Xanax for insomnia because we'd been through every other med. It was only by accident that I found out it helped my mood.

When I told him this at my last visit, he wanted me to try taking 1 mg of Xanax XR and then .25 mg of immediate release in the late afternoon (the XR lasts about 17 hours). And I gotta tell you... I feel good. Not "high" good, rather "not depressed" good. I've been on it for about six weeks and don't feel like I need to take a higher dose. I sometimes miss the late afternoon dose and don't really notice it. Though some days I can totally tell when the XR is wearing off.

I'm staying on this stuff. In combination with the ADs, I'm finally feeling like I'm getting better (it's been two years).

Good luck!

~Sunshine

I don't know what it is about the pdocs there. From everything I've heard, they don't do polypharmacology and they don't do benzos. It makes no sense to me at all. Lots of medications can potentially be addictive or abused.

My anxiety level doesn't really interfere with my life. My pdoc has been hinting at anxiety for a while, but it's only been more recently that I'm starting to see what he's talking about. I finally agreed to try Xanax for insomnia because we'd been through every other med. It was only by accident that I found out it helped my mood.

When I told him this at my last visit, he wanted me to try taking 1 mg of Xanax XR and then .25 mg of immediate release in the late afternoon (the XR lasts about 17 hours). And I gotta tell you... I feel good. Not "high" good, rather "not depressed" good. I've been on it for about six weeks and don't feel like I need to take a higher dose. I sometimes miss the late afternoon dose and don't really notice it. Though some days I can totally tell when the XR is wearing off.

I'm staying on this stuff. In combination with the ADs, I'm finally feeling like I'm getting better (it's been two years).

Good luck!

~Sunshine

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So let me get this striaght.  He WANTED you to take Xanax?  HA!  Unbelieveable!

well, i'm on klonopin at least .5mg daily.... and then I have to take it as needed.  my doc didnt just hand it out like candy...he made sure that i really needed it. 

maybe some effexor withdrawal will help you out...I heard from someone that the brain zaps were better than sex...

http://www.crazyboards.org/index.php?showt...062entry15062

...unfortunately, I cannot say the same for the current effexor withdrawal I am experiencing at the moment... ;)

I take 2-3mg of klonopin a day, with the third 1mg dose depending on how bad the anxiety is that day. I have GAD, also BP and ADD. My pdoc has had me on and off benzo's but never fails to write a new Rx or write a refill if my anxiety is messing with my ability to function. I occcasionaly have to take valium 10mg on top of the klonopin when things get really bad, when I am in the midst of an panic attack and the klonopimn is just not cutting it.  I have never abused the valium, one Rx will last me for half a year. The klonopin though that I take every day with my pdoc's blessing.

Erika

So let me get this striaght.  He WANTED you to take Xanax?  HA!  Unbelieveable!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Correct. I've been seeing him for 7 years, though and have no abuse history. But yes, he's the one that suggested Xanax. Both times.

IMHO, the abuse/addiction issues related to benzos are mostly hype and hysteria. Anyone remember the big Prozac scare way back when? If you don't have any abuse/addiction history, they are as safe as any other psychiatric medication.

Like I said, I don't understand what's up with the pdocs in the U.K. Do they not read the current pharmaceutical literature? Someone else here from the U.K. once said their pdoc had never even heard of Wellbutrin. I know it has a different brand name in the U.K., but still. Geesh.

The only thing I can suggest is that you do some research... print off the PI sheets.... and try and educate them. Or move to the States!

Is all of Europe like this, or just the U.K.?

I had Xanax XR, 1mg script and was taking 1 per day, rarely 2 if it was a killer day.  My need decreased as other meds took hold, and I worked hard to get off it.  I can go weeks sometimes without using it, then maybe one or two days. However I did have a script renewal recently, no problems from the Pdoc regarding my request.

A.M.

You should all think yourselfs lucky that you are in the States.  You would all be told to fuck-off if you were in the UK!

[sorry] is that from you because you are aggravated or the pdocs are that aggravating and would blow you off?

...IS there any situation in which the doctors feel that benzos are appropriate?

I am prescribed klonopin, .5mg 2x a day +1mg  prn. However, since I have started taking it, a while ago,  I have decreased my use to very seldom.

Honestly, though there are a lot of people who may abuse them at one point or another, the people who need benzodiazepines and use them responsibly is still a majority.  The ones who 'eat them like candy' are the ones who piss off the poeple that really need them.

I am wondering if there are only specific cases in with pdocs in your country will prescribed them.

~navy~

Seriously though, a benzo must be a pretty crap drug to abuse - they just make you a little sleepy, don't they.  A benzo has never made me feel euphoric.  NEVER.

I here some people who take heroin use benzos to prolongue their high, but I can't see anyone muching a pack of benzos on there own.

Over here they are called "club drugs".  Well, I'm affraid that I would be asleep on the dance floor!

Guest Llamanator

I might as well chime in.

My pdoc was the one who suggested (re: nearly shoved the damn things down my throat himself) both benzos I've tried.

15mg Restoril *almost* caused me some abuse problems (tolerance within two days) when I took it for insomnia, but I got paranoid about it, and started taking it PRN, no more than twice weekly, at least three days apart. I felt like crap taking any more, actually.

I got Klonopin (which I was also paranoid about) when I was on a recent tripping out mania. He gave me a script for a month's worth of 0.75mg daily, and told me to titrate at will. I was a good little girl about it, and got another (worse) paradoxical reaction after being on it for a couple of weeks.

Both were discontinued at my request.

My doctor would not be qualified as a drug dealer, despite randomly using benzos. He has a big orange bill and webbed feet.

Mimi

*quacks, runs around*

Is all of Europe like this, or just the U.K.?

It's pretty much the same here in Sweden as in the UK, though it really depends a lot on the doctor - some are much more willing to prescribe benzodiazepines than others.

In the past, I have been on Valium 2.5 mg PRN for about eight months, and on another occasion Klonopin .5 daily for 3-4 months. Also had flunitrazepam (Rohypnol) for sleep for a month or so. This was during times when I was frequently hospitalized. I didn't ask for them, the hospital doctors suggested it.

My current pdoc isn't too keen on prescribing benzos, and I haven't had any for a year or so. I'm scared to ask for them, because lately I got a BPD label, so if I ask for benzos they are likely to call me drug-seeking (despite the fact that I have never in my 42-year life been dependent on drugs, legal or illegal). I did get some Atarax (Vistaril) the last time I saw him, to use occasionally for sleep.

It's also true that doctors here often don't prescribe med cocktails, at least not as frequently as they seem to do in the US. Usually, I have been on monotherapy, or one "main" med (AD, mood stabilizer or atypical) and a sleep med or benzo.

I take klonopin .5 x2 daily at my pdoc's request. She just didn't hand them out to me, she encouraged me to take them after I had a panic attack in her waiting room. I have GAD and BP. I don't abuse them, I don't get high from them. I do have a history of drug abuse, and despite that my pdoc still thinks I should take them.  It has helped my anxiety so much, allowing me to do many more things like get through a work day without locking myself in the bathroom with a full-blown panic attack.

Archived