Can't get good help for anxiety

In a bit of a pickle here. My pdoc has been giving me Vistaril for anxiety. It's not working well anymore. He won't prescribe benzos for my anxiety (but he's prescribed Temazepam and Halcion for sleep). So, are there any other non benzo things that work? My anxiety is pretty bad and I feel i'm on the verge of having panic attacks again.

This is just a suggestion....but they put me on seroquel...and so far it has been like a wonder drug...except I sleep waaay too much...but I have noticed that in situations where I would usually feel high anxiety or even panic, I feel just fine....

Gabapentin/Neurontin was taking the edge off for me for the past 6 months. I'm having problems again, but I think it's resulting from going higher than I needed on Lamictal, rather than Gaba poop out.

I haven't tried them but Lyrica has been said to help, or beta blockers. VE will probably be able to mention a few more.

It can be hard getting benzos these days. Nothing beats "Mother's little helper".

Anxiety sucks.

I'm sorry to hear of your struggle with anxiety. My anxiety was very debilitating for almost a year. I used ativans a lot. But they really didn't do the trick. Then we tried propanolol (a beta blocker) and it was a resounding success! I'm so thankful. I haven't had to take an ativan since starting propanolol a month ago. I also take zyprexa and I think that it slows me down, too, and makes things somewhat manageable. Also I went off of st johns wort once and my panic attacks flared up big time. Hope this helps....

Thanks for your ideas. I think I'll talk to my pdoc about beta blockers.

I've tried some other things in the past. Seroquel unfortunately just made me sick. I can't really increase my meds. it's taken 3 years and 3 hospital stays to find a balance between being a med induced zombie and being a raging psycho.

I keep some Zyprexa for emergencies but along with my other meds it turns me into the walking dead. I also need somebody around to monitor me, just in case something happens.

Yes, I would have to say that an ssri would be worth discussing with your p-doc. Something like prozac, which is least likely to flare up any mania.

Is your dr concerned about you abusng benzos? Is that the reason he/she wont prescribe them? FYI despite being a hypnotic (sleeping tablet), Temazepam is a benzo also.

Some people have had success with a drug called buspar. It is mild in effect but works well for some people. Maybe talk to your dr about that as well.

Unfortunately, I've been on every SSRI. I did try Buspar. it just made me sick. I guess I should have clarified that from the start. When it comes to drugs, you name it, I've probably been on it.

I don't think my pdoc is concerned about abusing stuff, God knows I've had my chances. I take a lot of stuff already and he doesn't want me to lose more of my functioning due to meds, which is pretty bad anyway.

well, I'll talk to my pdoc about klonopin or beta blockers. I see him in 7 days. He is just so against using benzos for anxiety in my case. There are a lot of agrivating factors and I understand but it sucks. All the same, I want to try a benzo.

Oh, I did try Neurontin. Had a violent allergic reaction to it. Too bad. It was helping.

I made a poor choice the other night and took 10 mg of an old (not mine) valium prescription.

I'm freaking out. Gotta get something happening here soon or I could wind up in the hospital.

Archived