School Grants For the mentally Ill?

Last night I got depressed when I heard that a bunch of my friends got accepted into NIU, so I want to go to school now.

But my doctor and family thinks that it would be best for me to wait.

Is there any grants/loans or anything for people who are mentally ill?

Check out vocational rehabilitation or whatever they call it in your state. It will be a department of human services program that does career training for people with disabilities. They generally will pay tuition to a state school. They are pretty strict about watching your grades. The point of the program is school as a pathway to employment so if they don't see you working towards they will pull the plug. They wouldn't pay for me to study philosophy, for example.

the upside to life in my province is that once one has been proven to have "major functional disabilities" of any kind (i've got the fun trifecta of mental, physical, and developmental -- a shoo-in), you qualify for bursaries for x number of months in undergrad, studying anything at all. grades aren't a huge issue, but passing is. and then there's the problem of getting paid by the month, not by the credit, so i'll be out of funding long before the end of my degree. still, it's cool.

• 8 months later...

Last night I got depressed when I heard that a bunch of my friends got accepted into NIU, so I want to go to school now.

But my doctor and family thinks that it would be best for me to wait.

Is there any grants/loans or anything for people who are mentally ill?

Ok, i may have read this wrong but do you think by going to school(like your friends)you will feel *better*? If anything school could add to your stress levels.

If your doctor and family think you should wait, do you think this is because they think it is best?(for now)

Would a short course at a local college be an option instead of full blown school?

SW

Ok, i may have read this wrong but do you think by going to school(like your friends)you will feel *better*? If anything school could add to your stress levels.

If your doctor and family think you should wait, do you think this is because they think it is best?(for now)

Would a short course at a local college be an option instead of full blown school?

SW

This sounds like smart advice

there's the vocational rehabilitation people- they're cool. i went to one of their meetings and wasn't sure what i wanted to do with their help at the time, or if they could help me at all, but it is worth it to meet with your tdoc and get referred to the dept. (in my state you need a referral).

then there's fastweb.com. i won a scholarship to go study in Turkey for a month through this site, so they're for real and real people do win money.

don't go to school for any reason other than that you feel you will advance yourself. don't go because of your friends, parental pressure, society telling you it's the thing to do, or whatever. you'll be ready when you're ready. i have a cousin right now in trade school to pimp cars (actually a good career), and another in school to be a pharmacist. whatever you choose, make it what you want.

i went to a small lib arts college (and spent a fortune ;) ) and majored in international business. that's what i wanted to get into. i ended up in tech, but hey, you never know where life will lead you.

yes, the dept. of voc. rehab people will want you to major in something practical. they also want to see you get at least decent grades. they know you're challenged, so they don't expect the world. also, you can take longer to finish school, though your funding may run out. watch your funding. there are also loans ( :) ) and scholarships out there. there have to be some for loony people! i'm searching for those to hopefully do grad school. i need funding for that...

decide what YOU want to do. if it is learning to pimp rides, then that's what you want to do :cussing:

then there's fastweb.com. i won a scholarship to go study in Turkey for a month through this site, so they're for real and real people do win money.

So are you going? What's the study program for (what subject)? It's only a month, is it like an intensive program? I do seem to remeber reading on the SSA site that if you're out of country, that can affect your benefits for that month--would that affect your decision?

• 2 years later...
Guest peppertouch

I am mentally ill. I suffer from bipolar 2 and social anxiety. I am now in a vocational rehab program learning culinary arts. I think people who have difficulties and issues of the psychological type need that extra care and love from counselors and teachers who are understanding and compassionate towards this kind of thing. I did graduate from a top university before I got ill but that was INSANE too so why torture myself where I can get the attention I need some place nice. To the woman who wants to go to school because her friends are I say find a more relaxing and gentle way to strive for a career. Human services will pay fully for your educaton(depending on the area you live) if you show promise. Good luck! I know it fits me just fine what Im doing with my life now!!

Sorry to dredge up a dead thread, but I have some questions about this whole vocational rehab thing. How does it work if you are on SSDI? Does the SSA get notified that you are in school learning a trade? Does the SSA expect you to stop your SSDI when you graduate school?

I would rather pay for school on my own than have the SSA breathing down my neck about getting a job. Plus, I'm worried that the SSA will suddenly find me "not disabled" since I can go to school.

Sorry for the threadjack.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to dredge up a dead thread, but I have some questions about this whole vocational rehab thing. How does it work if you are on SSDI? Does the SSA get notified that you are in school learning a trade? Does the SSA expect you to stop your SSDI when you graduate school?

I would rather pay for school on my own than have the SSA breathing down my neck about getting a job. Plus, I'm worried that the SSA will suddenly find me "not disabled" since I can go to school.

Sorry for the threadjack.

In my experience, the SSDI is based on your income. If you are getting money to go to school (scholarships, grants, loans, etc) they don't count this toward your monthly income because it's not income FROM WORK.

Working with Voc Rehab (every state has one, it may be called something slightly different) can help you plan for your SSI/SSDI benefits.

If you're on SSDI you get a trial work period of *scratches head* can't remember how many months I think 9 in a rolling 5 year period. If your income minus expenses related to your disability (medical, transit, etc) exceeds whatever number they decide is the number for this year (somewhere under $700??), that counts as a trial work month.

When you have hit the end of the trial work period, the SSDI stops. Medicare coverage continues under COBRA regulations, I think, not entirely for sure. But it continues somehow.

If you are not able to continue working and its still during your trial work period, you qualify for expedited reinstatement of benefits without having to file a new disability claim and waiting for 6 months.

Usually and especially if you are working on a plan for independence/worker retraining/voc rehab plan with state approval, pursuing education toward a trade or required for a job should not affect whether or not SSA finds you "disabled". Their definition includes people who are affected as well as perceived to be affected AND HAVE A HISTORY of disabilty.

Oh, and depending on what state you live in, Voc Rehab may or may not pay for school. Oregon has limits on tuition/fees/books etc, Washington expects people to use the financial aid system (loans, grants, scholarships).

But I'm not a lawyer... just a social worker who can't do social work right now... learning all this stuff through experience... and looking for money to retrain as a deaf interpreter.

Archived