CrazyBoards.org

Is OCD a correct dx for SI?

I have been SI since I was 13 after I was raped. I recently got diagnosed with OCD because of the SI. I have obesssive thoughts about SI(ing) and I feel so pressured to do it.

I just feel that I really don't have OCD.

In most cases people with OCD don't act on their obsessions other than to test them sometimes.

That said, OCD is complicated. It manifests itself differently for pretty much every person who has it. It's real hard to pin down.

I'd guess that the SI isn't caused by the OCD, but by soothing else. OCD could still have latched onto it as a point of obsession.

I don't have expertise on OCD.

SI is complex and I don't think there is any single causation or motivation for begining. Attention seeking, stress relief, attempt to feel alive from derealization are all possibilities. I think for most it serves as a stress reliever. Unfortunately, it does work, however maladaptive, and can quickly become habit forming. That is why it is so important to break the cycle as early as possible, and find alternative healthy means of dealing with stress. However I don't think that it is generally classified as an OCD disorder.

a.m.

Archived