Question about mild dissociation

I dissociate often, but it's just brief. I don't lose time. It's like I'm suddenly here and I realize that everything is real. I can ground myself by looking around the room and making sure I know who and where I am. It used to frighten me, but now I accept it.

My therapist wants me to try and focus and concentrate more. To tell myself throughout the day that this is real. The thing is that that is the way I ground myself. When I do it, it feels the same as when I dissociate. I don't know if I do dissociate more than I realized, or if it is just that it's just feels similar because it's familiar.

At my support group someone suggested to doing something intellectually stimulating that requires concentration (like reading a book). That will help me with my focus.

Any ideas on how to stay in the present and not "space out"

Are you sure it's not depersonalization?

Yeah, I think that's what it is. My tdoc doesn't think it's enough for me to have another diagnosis. I'm schizoaffective so it's hard to determine what is part of that.

It's just weird because every time I try to ground myself, I find that I've been detached. Not just the times that I notice, but when I'm telling myself things are real throughout the day.

I think it's part of being scizoaffective and I don't know if it reasonable for a tdoc to expect you to ground yourself unless there are drug-free alternatives to deal with scizoaffective symptoms. I think it is a little bit like catatonia. How would you advise someone to overcome that? Depersonalization does happen with scizoAffectiveness. Been there with that. Nothing feels real.

Just a couple of suggestions i've been given: make yourself aware of your senses by focusing on each one- what do i see around me. what do i hear - what is the tone/volume etc. how does this chair feel under me- get really specific. that came from a cognitive behavioral therapist who i guess was kind of a "big wig" in the field.

In the hospital when it was a trauma related episode they would put ice cubes in my hands- eventually i guess you do notice the cold.

i've also worked with tdoc with emdr and given clm images and associations to an object ) for me it was a piece of jewelry i always wear. by looking at and touching the jewelry piece- i would think of the calm places i'd paired with it.

now i'm not saying this stuff always works- but its worth it if it even helps a little one time.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a standard treatment for depersonalization? Is it any different if it's a symptom of sza?

I get triggered by anxiety, social situations, and when i'm tired, but it can happen at anytime.

I take lexapro which helps me with anxiety. I take 2 anti-psychotics which help me with delusions, my pdoc says they might help with dissociation, too. I also take a mood stabilizer.

I'm in therapy, and we've started talking about dissociation. My tdoc tells me to keep reminding myself things are real.

Is there anything specifically that I can work on in therapy.

I had some childhood trauma that I don't think had a big effect on me, but my therapist thinks it did. That I'm holding back feelings.

Does working through trauma help with dissociation.

Is there anything specifically that I can work on in therapy.

I had some childhood trauma that I don't think had a big effect on me, but my therapist thinks it did. That I'm holding back feelings.

Does working through trauma help with dissociation.

body work is the BEST thing i found both for trauma and for depersonalization. it's hard to not know you have a body when someone is working with it!!!

my tdoc had me work with my senses. sit there and tell me what you sense with all your senses...

well, i feel the carpet under my feet, i smell the air conditioner, i hear the hum of the air, i see you sitting across from me, i can taste my lip gloss.... whatever.... it is very grounding...

if you DO decide to do body work (acupuncture and massage helped us soooo much), be prepared for major stress right after and the following day. we'd get a massage and cry through it and then be fine and then have to have an emergency therapy session the next day.

and, yes, working through trauma helps with dissociation. once you quit thinking you are being hurt or get out of hurtful situations, you no longer have the need to dissociate.

;)

abi

Archived