New pdoc

My old pdoc is an asshole, drastically changed from a compassionate partner to an antagonistic dick as his practice grew too large for him to manage. (Yes, please do take it out on me!)

Anyway, I've found a new pdoc, met with him the first time today. He reminds me of my former assistant (when I used to have a job that allowed me one; now I'm a lowly teacher), which is comforting to me. He seems nice enough, and certainly smart, and he knew who Michael Stipe is when I mentioned him. ;)

Tdoc agrees that a change is in order. So now all the remains is to cut off the old pdoc. I have half a mind to cancel my next appointment with him, tell his office wench that I won't be seeing him anymore, and go on to the next. Even though I've been with him for 13 years, I don't feel regret or a sense of loss about terminating, and I don't feel I owe him one more out-of-pocket payment for the sake of terminating. When I listed my concerns about his practice, complete with examples, he brushed me off in a pretty offensive way. Even the people in the hospital told me I wasn't getting my money's worth. This new guy costs twice as much, but I sort of don't mind -- it's not easy money for me, but good care is worth it.

Any comments on the termination issue? Do I have to do a proper termination with a guy who I basically saw for 10-15 min. every 3 months?

Thanks for input,

clumsycrawling

Yes, first have your records transferred.

Then, if you want, write a "Dear pdoc" letter, and briefly state the reasons you have departed to a new pdoc. Specify your issues again. State how long you have gone to that pdoc and that you cannot take the bullshit anymore.

Even with a practice so large, pdocs need to care about their image. Tell every crazy person you know about this monster! Make him pay! ;)  

Ask the new pdoc to call the old pdoc and say that he's taking over your psychiatric management and to send the records over to his office. They do this all the time. Another doctor's office has much better luck getting medical records transferred than patients do.

Good luck with the new guy. I agree it was time for a change.

Greeny

Other than taking the responsibility to cancel your next appointment you don't owe the old pdoc any explanation for why you are seeing a new one. If you feel you need to write him a letter explaining than by all means do but do you really think he is going to take time away from his busy practice to read your letter? Maybe, maybe not. You can always feel better by going ahead and writing a letter to him and then ripping it up or burning it.

Also, I agree with the others, let the new pdoc's office request and get your old pdoc's notes/record transferreed over to them.

Erika

Also, I agree with the others, let the new pdoc's office request and get your old pdoc's notes/record transferreed over to them.

Well ... what if he says unflattering things in my file? Like that I was dramatic one time recently, or what if he wrote something about my disagreeing with his practice? I don't know if they keep notes on the stuff that annoys them, but something rubbed him absolutely the wrong way over the past several months, and I have a suspicion (because I looked at my tdoc's notes of a recent conversation with him) that he thinks I'm "dramatic" and a "waste of time."

In addition, pretty much I've just been cruising along at 375 mg Effexor for the past 11 years, except for recent changes which I related to the new pdoc in detail, and about half a dozen pre-Effexor drugs that had no real effect (which I also related in some detail). Other than that, is there really anything in there that the new pdoc needs? I'll authorize the xfer if I really need to, but when the new guy asked if I wanted to and I said No, he didn't have any reaction of surprise or anything.

I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just wondering if it's necessary to allow the xfer, given that I briefed the guy pretty well on what I'd tried and what's been happening with the Effexor.

I don't feel any need to have another conversation with or write a letter to the old pdoc. I told him the last time I saw him what my issues were, he chose not to listen or acknowledge that they were valid, and there's nothing I can do about that except pursue what's best for myself. I have no need to make a dramatic exit or anything, just wondered if there were some protocol for terminating a pdoc. I've never done that before; this guy's my first pdoc and I didn't think I'd ever have to terminate him but ... whaddya gonna do? From what you guys are saying, I can just cancel & be done with it.

I suspect it's the amphetamine making me so garrulous right now. Sorry, it's my first day with it. <wiggles fingers in front of face> "shiny new toy"

clumsycrawling

Other than that, is there really anything in there that the new pdoc needs? I'll authorize the xfer if I really need to, but when the new guy asked if I wanted to and I said No, he didn't have any reaction of surprise or anything.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the new pdoc was not concerned about having the old pdoc's notes then I would drop it and not worry about getting the old pdoc's notes tranferred. I know when I started seeing a new pdoc about 18 months ago she did not want any other notes. I filled her in on the past and present meds, etc. and that was all she wanted. She didn't want to have any other notes or hospital records, etc. So I say you have nothing to worry about. I think I got the idea that the new pdoc wanted the notes and you needed to find a way to get them. 

and again, yeah, just call and cancel the appointment and if the staff asks if you want to reschedule just say no.

Erika

Archived