"The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time"

• 3 weeks later...

Yo. I seem to be a bit late getting here, since I don't usually check out what's going on in the book section, but anyone still paying any attention to this might want to check out this thread on the autism board from a few months ago. The book got talked about a little bit there, too. I really liked the first half of the book and identified with a bunch of stuff in it, but less so as it went on from there. I finished it, but the second half was less enjoyable and seemed kind of weird at times to me.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Great book. I can still picture the little boy.

He's actually not 'little'. He's about seventeen, he's a teenager, not a child. He'll probably like still be at school cos he goes to a special needs school in the storyline. I think his Autism makes him seem a little younger, mentally, than he is. That's why it's a good book, the pyschology's there, it could have been written by someone with Aspergers Syndrome language-wise and it's all in first person so it's very personal to the boy himself and he's portrayed as someone who, yes, has a personality seperate from his illness (don't we all?) but is dominated by it (again, don't we all? haha.), though I don't know whether Mark Haddon himself has any form of Autism. He may do, he may not.

Sorry I'm kinda hovering the boards today, feeling low and not up to venturing outside. Damn. Anyway, anyway..

Archived