CrazyBoards.org

Are my 'quirks' obssessional?

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but this sounds outside of the "quirk" area to me.

They fact that you know things aren't making sense and the amount of time you spend with the skin picking...well...tell your doctor. Even if it is a GP, you can get a referral.

Sorry for posting this, I post far too much, i just don't have anyone I can talk to about this, and I feel like I need outside confirmation.

16 posts to date isn't "too much". We've people who post more than that in a day!

I've got a couple of quirks, not mentioned any of them to my doctor (I've only got a gp - dx depression and gad)

Does this sound like anything, or am I just an odd person?

Nothing wrong with being a bit odd. These quirks do sound like something that should be looked into more. When you have

things like this intruding into your life and just not going away, it is very useful to get a second or third opinion. I'll go out on a limb

and suggest seeing a psychologist first, as the skin "picking" was triggered (or at least made far worse) by being abused.

Psych meds may still be needed, but a psychologist would still be helpful in working out coping/mitigation methods.

Sorry for posting this, I post far too much, i just don't have anyone I can talk to about this, and I feel like I need outside confirmation.

[...]

Does this sound like anything, or am I just an odd person?

It sounds like OCD to me. I know a lot of odd, quirky people (bless 'em!) who do have their own way of doing things. However, when one knows their behavior is irrational and is unable to change it, I think that starts getting into OCD territory.

But regardless of what I think, the question you should ask yourself is, "how much do my behavioral obsessions bother me (or people I care about)?" This is really the crux - if you are content with the way things are, then it really doesn't matter what the prognosis is. If this behavior bothers you (or merely wears you down), you may want to consider treatment for it.

You may find out that your obsessions lessen in conjunction with your stress level. I wish you the best in finding what works for you ;) .

P.S. I totally understand where you are coming from with the "contaminated objects" thing. I used to have an absolute repulsion to motor oil, grease, etc. After getting a car back from the mechanics, I would scrub the entire inside with soap and water where anyone might have touched it - in the middle of the winter until my hands were cracked and bleeding.

---

I'm going to digress here a bit and offer some of my own experiences, which hopefully someone may find useful.

I know that I can start exhbiting OCD-like behavior when I'm really stressed out. A case in point:

Calm: Well, I'll do the dishes tonight and mop the floor tomorrow.

Stressed: I'm going to do the dishes, mop the floors, sweep the sidewalk, comb the cats, vacuum the rugs, etc., etc. What do you mean I have to be up in three hours?! I haven't organized the spices yet!

When I'm doing well, I'll note that the house needs some cleaning, do a little bit, and go to bed. When I'm stressed out, my perceived happiness depends on the cleanliness of the house. And I *do* feel better after cleaning the house, but only until I start obsessing about the next thing.

My point is: It's not the house, it's me. When I start entertaining thoughts about doing something counterproductive, I go lie down on my yoga mat and practice deep breathing for 10 minutes. More often than not, I find that once my brain calms down a bit, I'm actually too tired to clean the house.

Another coping strategy is to give a caring friend / housemate / partner some "Calm the f**k down cards". If that person thinks that you are going into OCD mode, they can give you a card; at that point you have to sit down, drink some herbal tea, watch a movie, go to sleep, go for a walk, whatever calms you down. I find that my wife can sometimes pick up on my behavioral trends before I do.

- TroyNY

Archived