Need advice on daughter

We finally got my daughter into a pdoc. The school is also testing her because she has drastic reading problems. She has a good attitude about it and has no trouble talking about it. The thing is, I'm worried about her telling kids in her class what's going on. I know how brutal kids can be. Problem is, I worked a long time to get her to open up about what goes on at school and I feel I would be teaching her a bad lesson by telling her to lie to the kids or cover it up. what would you suggest?

Don't tell her to hide it. Covering up stuff that makes her feel different will come instinctively. Don't even hint that there is any reason to be ashamed. Kid will be brutal no matter what. It's the nature of the beast. Self respect is the only thing that can keep it from being devastating. If she thinks she needs to be ashamed of being who she is, self respect goes out the window. ADD kids are prone to self-doubt anyway. It takes nothing at all to feed it.

I have to agree with this one. Telling her to hide it would make her feel like there is something wrong with her. And being different isn't wrong.

I completely understand wanting to protect her, but there comes a point when you just can't. All you can do is give her the tools and support she needs to have a healthy self-esteem that doesn't rely on what the other kids think. At least until she is old enough to understand the concept of keeping some info private until she knows a person better. I'm not sure how old she is but I am assuming not old enough for that if you are asking this question.

It is great that she feels comfortable being open about this, and it shows you are doing a great job! Then, too, you might be surprised. A lot of kids have problems reading and more than you think probably see a pdoc. She might actually make new friends.

Thanks. that helps me feel a lot better. I just remember being an outcast from kindergarten on and how painful that was. Because of that, I tend to be a little overprotective at times. Despite her problems she has a pretty good self image. BTW she is 8 years old.

The thing I try to remember is that her circumstances are different than mine. Sometimes that's hard to do.

Thanks. that helps me feel a lot better. I just remember being an outcast from kindergarten on and how painful that was. Because of that, I tend to be a little overprotective at times. Despite her problems she has a pretty good self image. BTW she is 8 years old.

The thing I try to remember is that her circumstances are different than mine. Sometimes that's hard to do.

Archived