CrazyBoards.org

Is adderall XR making him worse?

My 15 year old son was diagnosed about 2 1/2 months ago ADHD, and put on adderall xr 20mg. Puberty has hit hard and fast, hormones raging etc. He has always had issues with anger, but I have noticed that over the past month, it is more of an issue. Last night we were at the emergency room because he punched a mirror and needed stitches. He is definatly more verbally abusive and now more physically too. The small pamphlet on his meds says nothing about this. I have a call into his pediatrician. Can adderall magnify this part of his personality?

Thanks Helena, I'll give your link and my reading skills a try. I am soo overwhelmed and for the first time in his life , mom can't fix this. I hate this feeling. About a year ago, he was having some problems. He has never seen his bio father ( his father left when he knew that I was prego. Since then he has been in and out of prison and is now hiding out on another coast. He has never shown any interest), and I got engaged to the same man (widow w/ 2 kids) that I had been seeing for 4 years. My son was having trouble accepting the fact that another man could care about him and his father did not so we went to see a social worker. He worked through that, but I think that this is over the sw's head. any feedback?

My 15 year old son was diagnosed about 2 1/2 months ago ADHD, and put on adderall xr 20mg. Puberty has hit hard and fast, hormones raging etc. He has always had issues with anger, but I have noticed that over the past month, it is more of an issue. Last night we were at the emergency room because he punched a mirror and needed stitches. He is definatly more verbally abusive and now more physically too. The small pamphlet on his meds says nothing about this. I have a call into his pediatrician. Can adderall magnify this part of his personality?

Aggression can be an issue with the stimulants, but I think that it's usually less of an issue when they are

being prescribed for ADHD. That said, some kids do "grow out of it" and there is that issue of hitting puberty

as well. On the medical side, maybe you could discuss a medication reduction OR increase if the reduction

goes badly (HS isn't a good time for letting grades tank, but grades aren't everything)

On the non-med side, it might not hurt to arrange counselling to help with the interpersonal and coping

skills that somehow don't get picked up so well when you have ADHD. Less problems with self and other

people -> less frustration -> less punching walls and mirrors. In theory anyway ;) Oh, but don't make a

big deal of it - being a 15-y.o. guy with ADHD AND having to go to a head-shrink would be The Suck

if it were common knowledge around school.

Archived