CrazyBoards.org

Hi HC!

Here is the dosing info from the PI sheet for mania.

[Mania

DEPAKOTE tablets are administered orally. The recommended initial dose is 750 mg daily in divided doses. The dose should be increased as rapidly as possible to achieve the lowest therapeutic dose which produces the desired clinical effect or the desired range of plasma concentrations. In placebo-controlled clinical trials of acute mania, patients were dosed to a clinical response with a trough plasma concentration between 50 and 125 μg/mL. Maximum concentrations were generally achieved within 14 days. The maximum recommended dosage is 60 mg/kg/day [equivalent to 4636mg for a 170lb person, a.m.].

For epilepsy the recommended starting dosage is 10-15 mg per kilo of weight. For a 170lb person this equals 1159mg.

Now, these are "recommendations" and a doc may prescribe differently based on his training, experience and the patients' condition. It's not unusual for the medical community to find more effective methods of using drugs following the original FDA approval trials, which may have occurred years or decades earlier.

The Prescribing Information sheet is here: http://www.rxabbott.com/pdf/depakote.pdf

Good luck, hope the new med works well.

a.m.

Hi everyone! For those of you on Depakote, just wondering what your starting dosage was? My doc started me on depakote today, and started me out at 1500mg once a day. Does that seem high? It didn't occur to me to ask, until I got home and started doing a little reading.

Thanks,

Homesick

Are you manic?

• 2 months later...

That sounds like a pretty high fucking starter dose for a drug that could potentially cause serious side effects. I was started at 250 mg and went up in dose every week, and still going. Im glad I don't have your doctor. LOL

Its no wonder so many people complain about side effects on this stuff, if doctors are starting people at a dose of 1500 mg.. He probably didn't even check your blood levels and liver enzymes.

Archived